X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Interesting Badger factoid of the day:

Kevin Schulze is #1 in the nation with 3.17 blocked shots/game. (38 in 12gp)
    Interesting. Bad, but interesting (though not surprising when I think about it).

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Interesting Badger factoid of the day:

Kevin Schulze is #1 in the nation with 3.17 blocked shots/game. (38 in 12gp)
      I don't know what to think about stats like that. On face value it seems nice, but it also means you're probably giving up a lot of shots. It's like hits, if you've got a ton of hits, that means you don't have the puck very much. You win games when you have the puck. You know what the perfect game is? No blocked shots, no hits. It means you always have the puck. So, while it's nice to block a shot if that's the position you're in, I'm not sure it's a good thing to lead the nation in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I don't know what to think about stats like that. On face value it seems nice, but it also means you're probably giving up a lot of shots. It's like hits, if you've got a ton of hits, that means you don't have the puck very much. You win games when you have the puck. You know what the perfect game is? No blocked shots, no hits. It means you always have the puck. So, while it's nice to block a shot if that's the position you're in, I'm not sure it's a good thing to lead the nation in that category.
        Right, but since a 100% puck possession game is never happening, low shot block #'s and low hit #'s don't really represent incremental steps toward that hypothetical perfect game by themselves. High shot blocks and low sog is a fairly good thing. High block #'s and still high sog isn't, of course.

Here it probably just shows that K.Shulze is working his *** off on a team that's obviously been challenged. I'd suggest his other numbers (like pts.) would likely be much better if he hasn't had to sort of play deep safety a lot of the time in order to be in position to cover up his D-partner's penchant for turning the puck over. He's got some offensive upside, but so far it seems he's been a bit reluctant to get up into the offensive zone much. It looks to me that it's by design, but I don't have anything concrete from the coaches to base that on.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          Interesting. Bad, but interesting (though not surprising when I think about it).
          On the plus side, it means there were at least 3 less chances of a goal getting scored in the game and probably more since no rebounds/shots off rebounds were give up on those shots that didn't hit the goalie. Let's wrap a positive aura things.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Mr Schulze has the worst +/- on the team at -17, but the poor guy is on the ice all the time.

I wish they had his ice time shown, as it would be by far the highest on the team.
            Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              Mr Schulze has the worst +/- on the team at -17, but the poor guy is on the ice all the time.
              Yeah, and it just seems like if either of the opposition's top two lines are out there, somehow he is too. Plus he's playing big pk minutes. Guy must just be one big bruise about now.

And Davison is, almost inexplicably, +3... While he's made (more than) his share of mistakes, he really just seems to have some of that intangible knack for making plays. Things just seem to happen around him when he's on the ice. Hard to find guys like that. Plus he's a character and a half. I really do like that kid.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Wisko forgot to mention that Davison is also 2nd on the team in scoring with 6 pts. He has done this even though he was concussed early in the season and missed several games.

This doesn't say much for the forward production.

Comment

I wish they had his ice time shown, as it would be by far the highest on the team.
                  +/- is he worst stat in hockey for individuals, in my opinion. Or at least one of the worst.

Comment

+/- is he worst stat in hockey for individuals, in my opinion. Or at least one of the worst.
                    It certainly tells an incomplete story, to say the least.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      It certainly tells an incomplete story, to say the least.
                      I prefaced it with he is on the ice all the time. And on most PK's, and against the best lines. I feel for him. The guy is giving it all this year. The team as a whole is -77, or something like that. Ouch.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

So, I just saw an another interesting stat (probably pointless) in the "college hockey demographics" thread. The top five point scorers this year in college hockey from the state of Wisconsin do not play for Wisconsin.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the history of the five players (recruiting, family connections, etc), just thought it was interesting that none play at Wisconsin.

Comment

I prefaced it with he is on the ice all the time. And on most PK's, and against the best lines. I feel for him. The guy is giving it all this year. The team as a whole is -77, or something like that. Ouch.
                          Unless they do it differently in college hockey, you don't get a minus for goals against while shorthanded.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            Unless they do it differently in college hockey, you don't get a minus for goals against while shorthanded.
                            I didn't know that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
                              So, I just saw an another interesting stat (probably pointless) in the "college hockey demographics" thread. The top five point scorers this year in college hockey from the state of Wisconsin do not play for Wisconsin.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the history of the five players (recruiting, family connections, etc), just thought it was interesting that none play at Wisconsin.
                              That is quite curious.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post

It is odd that of the top 5 in Alaska, Minnesota, Michigan, Mass, NY, Colorado, & Connecticut...at least one goes to an in state school.

Comment

Working...
                                X