X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    The best way to minimize losses on a chart is to use large segments and a wide overall value range. This will squish the win/loss line down to almost a straight line.
    The best way to minimize losses on a chart is to, , "JUST F$#%#$@ WIN"
    If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
      I think Barry has a message for us.
      Awesome post. Very funny.

Seriously though take 1 million of the money Anderson had to pay to buy out his contract and buyout Eaves.
      Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        Awesome post. Very funny.

Seriously though take 1 million of the money Anderson had to pay to buy out his contract and buyout Eaves.
        agree 100%

buy him out. Win #7 w/Don Granato
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

In the category of things that might have made this season less painful....Alex, Who is Christian Dvorak?
          In 30 games for London, 22 goals, 31 assists for 53 points for the former Badger commit. Hopefully we are not playing the same game with Brock Boesser in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
            In the category of things that might have made this season less painful....Alex, Who is Christian Dvorak?
            In 30 games for London, 22 goals, 31 assists for 53 points for the former Badger commit. Hopefully we are not playing the same game with Brock Boesser in a couple of years.
            Hmmm.

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If people are holding out hope for Boeser, they should stop now and save themselves the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                That was absolutely not what I was suggesting. My point was very straightforward; if you chose to ignore it that is not my problem. But since I'm in a good mood I'll address your misguided assessment of my point: While I'm not inclined to use the word "embarrassing," a program like Wisconsin losing to Penn State two nights in a row isn't good. But it isn't necessarily terrible considering the nature of hockey. Losses can come in all sorts of unexpected and unfortunate ways.

However, a program like Wisconsin getting skated up and down the ice for 109 minutes by a second-year NCAA program is simply inexcusable. Whether that program is named Penn St., Minnesota Mankato State Cornfield Tech, St. Norbert or Alaska-North Pole doesn't really matter.

Now that all that has been settled, you're free to address my original point. Or, speaking of embarrassing, you could go back to your half-assed troll thread.

Up to you.
                I think the problem for fans like myself and I *think* yourself and 2-3 others on here is we're thinking "Program like Wisconsin" as if UW actually is an elite program anymore. I've come to believe we're fooling ourselves. Wisconsin is NOT an elite program and hasn't been since the end of the 1994 season really. Maybe 1993. Depends on how you view the flame out of the Zent/Schier/Fairchild/Rafalski classes.

From 1995 to 2014 Wisconsin has been average and because of that any kid looking at colleges isn't necessarily going to think Wisconsin is an elite program they must play for. I mean why would they? 2006 is already 8 years ago so a kid who's 16 making a decision? He was 8 when that happened and Wisconsin hasn't done much to move the needle since then (yeah, got smoked by BC in Detroit in 2010...that didn't help any). Any mention of elite comes from history lessons: Badger Bob, Chris Chelios, Mike Richter, Scott Mellanby, Tony Granato, and on and on. But kids today may not even know who that coach was or those players were nor care.

Last edited by solovsfett; 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Dvorak plays on probably the best line in the CHL on the most recognizable team in the CHL. I think you could say he made a good hockey career move. It is nice to see he bounced back from the knee injury.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    I think the problem for fans like myself and I *think* yourself and 2-3 others on here is we're thinking "Program like Wisconsin" as if UW actually is an elite program anymore. I've come to believe we're fooling ourselves. Wisconsin is NOT an elite program and hasn't been since the end of the 1994 season really. Maybe 1993. Depends on how you view the flame out of the Zent/Schier/Fairchild/Rafalski classes.

From 1995 to 2014 Wisconsin has been average and because of that any kid looking at colleges isn't necessarily going to think Wisconsin is an elite program they must play for. I mean why would they? 2006 is already 8 years ago so a kid who's 16 making a decision? He was 8 when that happened and Wisconsin hasn't done much to move the needle since then (yeah, got smoked by BC in Detroit in 2010...that didn't help any). Any mention of elite comes from history lessons: Badger Bob, Chris Chelios, Mike Richter, Scott Mellanby, Tony Granato, and on and on. But kids today may not even know who those players were nor care.

As sad as this is, I tend to agree with you. A regime change is what is needed as a small first step.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

From 1995 to 2014 Wisconsin has been average and because of that any kid looking at colleges isn't necessarily going to think Wisconsin is an elite program they must play for. I mean why would they? 2006 is already 8 years ago so a kid who's 16 making a decision? He was 8 when that happened and Wisconsin hasn't done much to move the needle since then (yeah, got smoked by BC in Detroit in 2010...that didn't help any). Any mention of elite comes from history lessons: Badger Bob, Chris Chelios, Mike Richter, Scott Mellanby, Tony Granato, and on and on. But kids today may not even know who those players were nor care.

Since we've developed a penchant for charts recently, here's a (somewhat poor) one depicting all Wisconsin Hockey's wins by year since Badger Bob's first year through '14:

It does illustrate what you are talking about in that from around '80 to '95. the Badgers never really experienced a big down year. Outside of that time period winning has been more volatile.

Sticklers will point out that the ol' Badger was not in charge in that 12 win season as he was away coaching team USA and took a couple of our best players with him. I include it this way for these reasons: 1) For simplicity and continuity. 2) It was still the team he recruited and he had the opportunity to plan for the guys he took away. Really little different than today's early departures is it? 3) It's hard to imagine even Bob Johnson being worth a dozen wins as a game coach. A great bench coach might get you a couple in a season as compared to an average one, at most.

The other thing I'd say needs to factor into comparing wins is the vast increase in parity over the years. The Badgers used to have 6-8 or more guaranteed wins on their schedule each year, such was the vastness of the gulf between the have's and have not's. That is just no longer the same at all.

So depending on one's definition of exactly what "elite" is, (is it #1? The top 3? The top 5, or 10, or 15? ) solo makes a good point.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

On the positive side, we can regain our status as an elite team at some point in the future. Whether that happens or not starts with the athletic dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          If people are holding out hope for Boeser, they should stop now and save themselves the hassle.
                          Stopped hoping when he decommitted. Almost 100% of the time, when a kid decommits, they don't end up with the orginal school. I used hopefully as a combo of being sensitive to those who may be hoping and maybe a little spiteful that by reneging on UW he'll end up a bust wherever he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            It's not what you were suggesting but then you suggest the very same thing? Are we even speaking the same language here?
                            We said very different things.

Not that it matters, but they're a 3rd year program. They beat us in OT in '12-'13.
                            My bad. Strike up the band. Assuming there's a band to strike up, of course.

Now how about you answer the question and stop vortexing?
                            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                              We said very different things.

My bad. Strike up the band. Assuming there's a band to strike up, of course.

Now how about you answer the question and stop vortexing?
                              If I'm "vortexing" it's probably because I'm somewhat predisposed to not taking people that say things like "because I'm in a good mood, I will (respond)" as much more than arrogant ******-bags, or alternatively, 12 year old's. My best guess is you're inclined toward the first, but I really have little to go on so I suppose the second must logically remain a possibility.

As for your question, which I can only gather was the incredibly original question regarding Eaves being at fault for the program's state, if you want to follow along it is being discussed on and off by folks who have put time and effort into contributing information to this thread, rather than just drive-by with snarky comments. If you're expecting me to summarize the various points for you, especially when you've contributed next to nothing else to the conversation as of late, well, it's probably not happening. Having said that, I hope this won't put you off of our pleasant little exchange. Call me crazy, but somehow I don't think it will.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Interesting Badger factoid of the day:

Kevin Schulze is #1 in the nation with 3.17 blocked shots/game. (38 in 12gp)
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X