This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

I'm frustrated with him over the mishandling of hockey too. I also dislike him - or at least all that I know of him.

In addition to the overall shape (great) of the athletic department though, keep in mind that Barry is a national figure with what appears to be considerable power and influence - both in the B1G and in college football as a whole.

You don't send that kind of clout packing without a major reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I'm frustrated with him over the mishandling of hockey too. I also dislike him - or at least all that I know of him.

In addition to the overall shape (great) of the athletic department though, keep in mind that Barry is a national figure with what appears to be considerable power and influence - both in the B1G and in college football as a whole.

You don't send that kind of clout packing without a major reason.
      He would have to murder someone to get canned. My co-worker just looked up that he is the 4th highest paid AD in the country. Vanderbilt is first...odd.

Your point about his influence is spot on. In college football he is a national figure. Having a prominent and known AD like that is bringing more $$$ into UW through FB and BB. Barry has the clout to get football games with LSU and Alabama to start the season which are like pre-season bowl games. Lambeau Field will be jammed with people for that "event" in 2016.

He has helped make UW a known commodity nationally. Even as much as I despise him for that, I respect what he has done overall, even if he has aided Men's Hockey decline through apathy.
      Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post

Your point about his influence is spot on. In college football he is a national figure. Having a prominent and known AD like that is bringing more $$$ into UW through FB and BB. Barry has the clout to get football games with LSU and Alabama to start the season which are like pre-season bowl games. Lambeau Field will be jammed with people for that "event" in 2016.
        I'm already sweatin' those tickets. Really hope to get to that one!

Comment

I'm already sweatin' those tickets. Really hope to get to that one!
          My girlfriend and ALL her family went to LSU. I sat in the LSU section in Houston, will do the same at Lambeau. I did wear Red in Houston. LSU fans were so dejected by half time that they forgot about me and just enjoyed their team's comeback in the 2nd half.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I dislike Barry like everyone else, but Gurt is right, most programs are doing great. Women's Hockey is the 2nd best program in the country.
            2nd best? BC isn't better, all they do is play cupcakes. The rodents and UW are on the same plane.

Anyway, I love how BA said he and Bo see UW as a coaching destination, but he didn't mention Eaves, or Johnson for that fact...just shows how out of sight it is on BA's radar.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              2nd best? BC isn't better, all they do is play cupcakes. The rodents and UW are on the same plane.

Anyway, I love how BA said he and Bo see UW as a coaching destination, but he didn't mention Eaves, or Johnson for that fact...just shows how out of sight it is on BA's radar.

Or how falsely elevated you have hockey.

Sorry... it's the truth.

Comment

Sorry... it's the truth.
                lalalala
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

You can't triple stamp a double stamp! You can't triple stamp a double stamp! You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

Comment

Sorry... it's the truth.
                    Its one of three revenue producers on campus. you would think that would count for something. When it starts failing as a money producer, the powers at be will be forced to notice, because it will affect the rest of the athletic department programs. Money talks, always.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      Its one of three revenue producers on campus. you would think that would count for something. When it starts failing as a money producer, the powers at be will be forced to notice, because it will affect the rest of the athletic department programs. Money talks, always.

My point is that it's silly to think that Barry is gonna mention Eaves or especially Johnson when answering a question about "destination jobs."

There are no hockey destination jobs in college in the context that they were discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

When you haven't beaten a team in like 4 years, you are not on the same plane as them. Hence 2nd best in the country.

While no one would consider volleyball a revenue generating sport, look what success brought them? They were selling out the fieldhouse this Fall most of the season. Sure that isn't huge $$$, but results get people in the building.

If Barry would have said destination job like "me and Bo and Eaves and Johnson" 99% of people watching sportscenter would have had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Probably more like 99.8%. Only sports that matter nationally are FB and BB. I wish it wasn't that way, but I wish I had a money tree and could go hiking all day, every day, and when I was done fly home on my private jet to my house in the middle of no where overlooking a pristine lake with mountains in the background.

Comment

When you haven't beaten a team in like 4 years, you are not on the same plane as them. Hence 2nd best in the country.
                          To be fair, they should've won the Friday game 2 years ago, but the officials had shoulder injuries. (I wish that comment came from biases or silliness and not stone cold reality...it doesn't. )

Comment

While no one would consider volleyball a revenue generating sport, look what success brought them? They were selling out the fieldhouse this Fall most of the season. Sure that isn't huge $$$, but results get people in the building.
                            That's what puzzles me about hockey. Improving the product would fill the Kohl Center at $24 / tickets and that can certainly bring in lots of revenue. With the AD lowering revenue from hockey each year, you would think heat would be on Eaves. For some reason it hasn't been.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

All the people leaving this past week made me forget the U-18 exhibition is tomorrow! It'll be fun to see the St. Louis Lukes in action, as well as Auston Matthews (just as a USA hockey fan). I'm assuming Rockwood won't play. We'll see how Cullen Hurley does.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                All the people leaving this past week made me forget the U-18 exhibition is tomorrow! It'll be fun to see the St. Louis Lukes in action, as well as Auston Matthews (just as a USA hockey fan). I'm assuming Rockwood won't play. We'll see how Cullen Hurley does.
                                If you get the chance, you could imply that there are Crease Creatures who would be willing to "help" Matthews with his homework next year, should he be on campus.

Probably not getting an offer like that anywhere else.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X