X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    At some point, you have to quit looking at them like a pee wee player. Yes, he has every right to do what he wants... but there are also consequences for such decisions. You quit on your team at mid-season and you are going to put your character and mental toughness into question. If he wants to play hockey simply for kicks, then go play intramural.

If he sticks with it, he basically deals with it three more months. Is that tough? Hardly. If he finishes it out, he develops some character for seeing it through and people don't see him as a quitter that can't take the adversity. Any future coach he might have is going to have to wonder, "Is this kid going to quit on me and his team here too?"
    Your point is well taken Hammy. Again I don't know all the circumstances involved. But digging deep and giving 100% to make a positive contribution to this fledgling team for another three months is not too much to ask of any player. Playing hockey at this level is not only about fun, it's also about learning to overcome adversity and maturing as an individual. After the season's over he could reevaluate and make a decision regarding his college career.

Comment

"This petition is not in reaction to the Badgers 1-10-1 start, the worst since 1932-33, or the fact they rank 57th out of 59 Men’s Division I hockey teams in USCHO’s Ratings Percentage Index at time of submission. This petition is a result of Mike Eaves inability to consistently win over his 13 years and the realization that our storied program has become an embarrassment to the university, and the laughing stock of college hockey." Source: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fire-mike-eaves#

Funny...if this petition is not a knee jerk reaction to this season's debacle, why provide the gory details? It's only one season. He won an NC in '06 and runnerup in '10. I'd be very surprised if Eaves goes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Timmy, did somebody steal your computer? That post is very unlike you.

Unless you are walking in his shoes, you cannot criticize. (I guess you can, but it doesn't hold water.) No one knows what he's going thru'. If you, #1, don't like your job, #2, you're miserable, and #3, you hate getting out of bed to go to work, you ****ing quit and find something else.

Within the past 5 years, I left a lucrative position for the above reasons. $$$ was good, but #1, #2, and #3 were killing me. I wasn't considered a quitter and ford shouldn't be. I think he probably sat down with Pat, told him wazzup, wasn't happy and moved on.

EDIT: I'm not a touchy, feely, coom by ya , kind of guy, so don't lay that on me!!
        You had many reasons to switch jobs. The reason he gave was it wasn't fun. What's to say it won't become fun again for him at UW? Based on that, it's a BS excuse in my opinion. If he had said, "Well, the I really don't like the large UW campus, the classes are way to big and I just feel like a fish out of water here. I thought I would adjust and come to like it, but I just don't", I would have supported his decision 100%. I get that. I was going attend UW my starting my Jr year of college, but I had that epiphany before I got to campus. In a way I kinda regret it not being part of the UW family and experiencing the awesomeness of Madison as a 20 yr old (I do enjoy it as a 45 yr old very much), but my life has turned out splendidly with the decision I made. Plus as I said, I have a son who hates the scholastic classes in HS (He likes the shop, woods and physical ed stuff, and is very good at it). If he had is way he'd just quit and do "something else". No fricking way. I see Keegan like I see Lindy. You have to power through this. It will made you stronger.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Leaving mid-season is a crap move, there is no way to sugar coat that, total cop out.

We had a player do that as well a few years back, arse clown move, in fact he played against the Wild last night.

He's still a d bag for doing that.

Comment

From this Nodak fan, I feel bad with the tough season they're working with and then they get to deal with one of their players pulling this $h!+... It's a total d0uch3 move and if he never plays D1 again it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Guys that can't honor commitments would fit in perfectly in one of the canadian leagues. Say hi to tambeleavi when you get there.
            Last edited by willythekid; 12-10-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I kinda feel bad for his brother who is still on the team, talk about awkward. I hope the two had a discussion about it before the decision was made.

Maybe this will put a chip on the teams shoulder moving forward, because last Friday's game was as bad as it gets. I'm worried we won't have enough bodies to get the chip off though.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                well that sucks about Keegan leaving...What can you do? The AD doesn't care about hockey, the team is 1-10-1 with things trending down over the past several years, no-one seems to be sure whether the assistants are very good and Eaves is a hard-*** who apparently rubs a lot of players the wrong way...Of course Parise liked playing for Eaves but that was over the course of one WJC...what if he had to play for a Harbough type for 2 years or more? Generally the hard guy thing loses it's lustre (if in fact it ever had any) and kids tune out.

Time for regime change.

Calling Don Granato, calling Mark Osiecki...any others come to mind?
                I've been reading everyone's thoughts and frankly most points - even the conflicting ones - are good. I quoted solovsfett's comments because they hit home with me the most. First, I agree Ford has every right to do what he did - and the team could have pulled his scholarship too if they wanted; But I think it was a bad move for him personally and an even crappier thing for him to do to his teammates. IMO, he should have waited until the season was over. Other's will now question his word, his commitment level when he decides on another team, all that.

On a bigger scale, this move concerns me because, with the Boeser non-early signing, and all the points made above, it feels more like a sinking ship than ever, more than I can remember.
                Go Badgers!

Comment

More information from Baggot. Decent article. Talks to Jason Ford http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...892faa7f7.html

Losing what was the "leader" of the freshman can't be good either.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post

On a bigger scale, this move concerns me because, with the Boeser non-early signing, and all the points made above, it feels more like a sinking ship than ever, more than I can remember.
                    I figure we now have pretty much 0% chance of landing Boeser at this point (might have been only 10% anyways) - based on him not signing, coming to visit with low attendence and no band, team losing, and Ford leaving. Not much good in any of that...
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      More information from Baggot. Decent article. Talks to Jason Ford http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...892faa7f7.html

Losing what was the "leader" of the freshman can't be good either.
                      He was a leader. Not the leader.

And the part about the 1-10-1 start “didn’t have that much to do with it.” Give me a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        And the part about the 1-10-1 start “didn’t have that much to do with it.” Give me a break.
                        Agreed.
                        Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          He was a leader. Not the leader.
                          Good correction as I did type that incorrectly.

Comment

I'm sure the slow start matters, but as others have noted this has to be something deeper than just "oh we aren't winning right now". I mean, why else would he even bother being open to playing for another D-I program in 2016-17?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I was curious about this 4 year cycle thing, how true is it really?, so I tossed this together.

Here's the record of Zengerlee's Class:
                              Sr: 24-11-2 ncaa
                              Jr: 22-13-7 ncaa (by the skin of their teeth)
                              So: 17-18-2
                              Fr: 21-16-4

Here's the Davies/Geoffrion class record:
                              Sr: 28-11-4 ncaa
                              Jr: 20-16-4
                              So: 16-17-7
                              Fr: 19-18-4

Here's the Gilbert/Burish class record:
                              Sr: 30-10-3 ncaa
                              Jr: 23-14-4 ncaa
                              So: 22-13-8 ncaa
                              Fr: 13-23-4

Here's the average records of these class by year:
                              Sr: 27-11-4
                              Jr: 22-14-5
                              So: 18-16-6
                              Fr: 18-19-4

Pretty darn true, though there's a lot of moving parts with departures. Interestingly, each Fr class was hit hard by early departures, which skews that performance to a lower level. So in the end I think Eaves' Achilles heal has been early departures and under performing Fr.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Interestingly, each Fr class was hit hard by early departures, which skews that performance to a lower level. So in the end I think Eaves' Achilles heal has been early departures and under performing Fr.
                                I started to back track classes in an effort to answer part of the "How did we get here?" question. If I get time, maybe I'll finish it and post something with details as to who went where, and why, in the next day or two regarding that.

It goes further back, but one thing I'd say up front is that the current classes with 6 Sr. and 3 Jr. (so 9 upperclassmen with 3 goalies and 6 skaters) started as classes of 9 (now Sr.) and 6 (now Jr.) for a total of 15 would-be upperclassmen. And the third goalie should have been a Soph position this year. That's 13 upperclassmen skaters vs. the 6 we actually still have. (or 5 being minus Eddie for 9 games)
                                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X