X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    That idea is just... the worst.
    The worst? Give me some credit, I've had worse ideas that that. I'm just trying to think outside the box since no matter what happens, Eaves is going nowhere, so how can this get better and yet retain Eaves.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Here's an interesting idea.....Eaves ditches Schuey and hires Gwoz as associate head coach. Gwoz could bring some fresh ideas into the fold and have the clout to make Eaves listen.
      Gwoz ain't giving up NHL assistant coaching gig/pay to come play second fiddle to Eaves. He's got a decent chance at a Cup in the next few years with a pretty strong Tampa squad that doesn't have a ton standing in their way in the East stopping them from at least getting to the finals. If you want to talk about Gwoz replacing Eaves....I would listen. He would make an interesting candidate along with several other prominent options.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
        Gwoz ain't giving up NHL assistant coaching gig/pay to come play second fiddle to Eaves. He's got a decent chance at a Cup in the next few years with a pretty strong Tampa squad that doesn't have a ton standing in their way in the East stopping them from at least getting to the finals. If you want to talk about Gwoz replacing Eaves....I would listen. He would make an interesting candidate along with several other prominent options.
        I doubt he will ever leave the NHL and come back to the college game in any form. In the NHL, there are no recruiting trips to the middle of no where Manitoba in the middle of January during the bye week.

Comment

The worst? Give me some credit, I've had worse ideas that that. I'm just trying to think outside the box since no matter what happens, Eaves is going nowhere, so how can this get better and yet retain Eaves.
          There is a better chance of The Great One coaching the Badgers in flip flops than Gwoz sharing the bench with Eaves.

Comment

Here's an interesting idea.....Eaves ditches Schuey and hires Gwoz as associate head coach. Gwoz could bring some fresh ideas into the fold and have the clout to make Eaves listen.
            Terrible Idea
            ......That is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tim.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Clearly, for best results, Gwoz should coach for seasons 1-3 and Eaves should take over for the 4th season, then repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post

A good coach maximizes the talent that currently exists on the roster. IMHO, Eaves is NOT successful unless the players have been in his system long enough or are top notch talent. The other coach who frequents the KC, generally takes 2nd tier basketball players and turns them into consistent winners. The basketball team is ALWAYS in the running for the Big 10 and has an outstanding track record in the NCAA tourney. As sports this is an apples to oranges comparison, but as coaches this is apples to apples. I don't think Eaves knows how to coach up players effectively with any consistency.
                  This makes no sense to me. I guess first because I disagree with the premise. Bo adheres very strictly to a system. 80% of the minutes played are by upperclassman that he has had the opportunity to "coach up". Yes, some talented kids play roles for him earlier, Hayes and Koenig were both 4 star recruits for example, (Dekker a 5 star. Not quite 2nd tier really.) but he has primarily won with upperclassman that have learned his system. (Early departures haven't been much of an issue for Bo either.) But basically given the disparity in the way the two sports work (like basketball plays 5 of 16 guys and hockey 19 of 26) I don't see how your getting that they approach things very differently.

Beyond that you seem to be saying that Eaves can't win unless he has talent or upperclassmen. Surely your not suggesting that York and Hakstol do?
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                    Some of these kids that go through UW into the NHL, would go to the NHL regardless of Eaves or UW. We may have just been quite lucky in the past to have so many top end players pick UW. McD/Stepan/B Smith/Gardiner/C Smith/Schultz/Suter/McBain/Skille all came to UW as players with very solid chances of playing in the NHL. Some players that come to mind that are surprises to make it to the NHL are Pavs(changed the way he skated, don't know if that was Eaves), Burish(his career is pretty much over), Rene B and Drewiske. I am sure I am missing a few on both lists.
                    Just lucky? The first thing every single recruit everywhere says when asked why they chose school xyz is "the coaches." Now you can say "Eaves can't coach kids", or, you can say "Eaves can't recruit kids." But in the cases of most of these players, you don't get to say both.

Regarding Pav's skating-- A little known fact is that Bob Johnson used to use Eaves to demonstrate to his NHL players proper skating technique.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Just lucky? The first thing every single recruit everywhere says when asked why they chose school xyz is "the coaches." Now you can say "Eaves can't coach kids", or, you can say "Eaves can't recruit kids." But in the cases of most of these players, you don't get to say both.

Regarding Pav's skating-- A little known fact is that Bob Johnson used to use Eaves to demonstrate to his NHL players proper skating technique.
                      I think you missed my first point.

Thanks for the update on Pavs.

Comment

The funny thing about that is my wife's name is Jill, and I have 3 kids (I have to admit one is a girl), my best friend has a beard, my personal guru often times wears a hat like Wilson, I'm into fast cars, and I like power tools (but what guy doesn't?). Pretty freaky, eh?

So what is the timetable for Rockwood's return? He's a critical cog to this team.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                          I think you missed my first point.

Thanks for the update on Pavs.
                          Sorry if I am, but it seems in reponse to a post that states Eaves can't coach kids, your implying that Eaves rep for producing NHL players might not be so deserved as he's had kids that were going to the show with or without Eaves coaching them. Which is one thing. Then you follow it by we "may have been quite lucky" in getting theses kids. Which is another thing. I'm suggesting that Eaves at the least deserves some credit for one or the other.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The funny thing about that is my wife's name is Jill, and I have 3 kids (I have to admit one is a girl), my best friend has a beard, my personal guru often times wears a hat like Wilson, I'm into fast cars, and I like power tools (but what guy doesn't?). Pretty freaky, eh?

So what is the timetable for Rockwood's return? He's a critical cog to this team.
                            That is a little weird... any chance you did some time for a little cocaine problem back in the 80's?

Rockwood is supposed to skate this week in practice, beyond that, I'd think it's a little bit 'see how it goes' but hopefully he'll at least be back post break. He said it was the first time he's had a severe problem like this. (He was diagnosed years ago, in case there's any confusion about that.) As I understand it, an attack like he's had can very painful. Extra respect for that kid.

But I agree he's absolutely essential, and has even been our best player at times. Desperately need him and Eddie back in the line up.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Sorry if I am, but it seems in reponse to a post that states Eaves can't coach kids, your implying that Eaves rep for producing NHL players might not be so deserved as he's had kids that were going to the show with or without Eaves coaching them. Which is one thing. Then you follow it by we "may have been quite lucky" in getting theses kids. Which is another thing. I'm suggesting that Eaves at the least deserves some credit for one or the other.
                              We as fans have been quite lucky to have that many NHL caliber players come through the program in such a short period of time. We as fans may have been spoiled a bit on the recruiting front. I think Eaves has prepared players like Stepan and C Smith to make the jump to the NHL quicker than expected (no AHL in first year).

Comment

I have said it before and I still believe that the beginning of the end for the Badgers under Eaves was when OZ left for Ohio State. He was widely considered the best D-Man coach at the college level. Look at the defensive corp we had when he was here (McBain, Smith, McDonagh, Goloubef, Gardiner) followed the next year by (Smith, McDonagh, Goloubef, Gardiner, Schultz, Ramage). That means that both of those years our defensive corps had 3 first round picks and 2 second round NHL picks on a college blueline.

When is the last time we had someone to QB the powerplay like McBain and Schultz did? How does our current crop of D-Men recruited since OZ left compare?

When you play rigid system based hockey, your opportunity to land premier forwards on a regular basis is tough, but it worked when you had high end NHL D-men to control the game. Just my .02 cents again.

Comment

Working...
                                X