• Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Three additional TV games added.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...120314aae.html
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      wishing that hockey's would be accepted/appreciated on the same general level as its more popular siblings'.

While I personally agree with your general sentiment, I'd imagine it's because in the longer view and unlike Jan, who has never been on top of anything, and going back to the late '60s, to sometime in the 90's, BB and FB were always the less popular siblings to Hockey. And for long time Badger hockey fans I suspect it's hard to avoid a certain underlying resentment about that no longer being the case spilling over. Even though most are quite happy to see football and bouncy-ball near the top on the national stage. It's a very weird dichotomy, but I get it.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        While I personally agree with your general sentiment, I'd imagine it's because in the longer view and unlike Jan, who never been on top of anything, and going back to the late '60s, to sometime in the 90's, BB and FB were always the less popular siblings to Hockey. And for long time Badger hockey fans I suspect it's hard to avoid a certain underlying resentment about that no longer being the case spilling over. Even though most are quite happy to see football and bouncy-ball near the top on the national stage. It's a very weird dichotomy, but I get it.
        I get all that and I was in that boat too. I'm 45... I'M A MAN!!! - wait, what?

I'm 45 so my first memories are of the hockey team being the only decent sport on campus. I was happy though when the football and basketball teams got with the program and I've enjoyed the heck out of living here the past 20 years.

The hockey team's current plight is due in large part to their own inability to remain a consistent winner. The fans that used to spend money (and time) on all three sports have probably gravitated towards the surer things.

I can't blame them.

That said, I'll be at the Friday night game against PSU.

Comment

I get all that and I was in that boat too. I'm 45... I'M A MAN!!! - wait, what?

I'm 45 so my first memories are of the hockey team being the only decent sport on campus. I was happy though when the football and basketball teams got with the program and I've enjoyed the heck out of living here the past 20 years.

The hockey team's current plight is due in large part to their own inability to remain a consistent winner. The fans that used to spend money (and time) on all three sports have probably gravitated towards the surer things.

I can't blame them.

That said, I'll be at the Friday night game against PSU.
          Awesome, I'll be watching for the guy emptying his flask on ESPN.

We're pretty close to the same age, but 20 years... you basically came in for all the good times in FB an BB!

I mean you missed all the time when Football was so bad, it killed Dave McClain, and Basketball was so bad, it killed Bill Cofield. Sadly, I'm not even kidding...

So hockey filled the void and for a hockey fan it was heaven because it was the focus of a lot of coverage and conversation. But it will never be exactly that way again, even if Eaves wins three NC's in a row. Now I'm not complaining, nor do I wish it was that way again because outside of hockey season it sucked to be a Badger fan. And I love FB and Bouncyball, too. Just sayin' I understand where some folks might be coming from, nostalgia wise.

But in my mind, WI still draws anywhere from 2,500-6,000 more fan per game now then did at what I think of as the peak of excellence and popularity in the early 80's. Or at least that many more get to see a game live, as around 8500+ was all that could jam in to the Coli. Now if we only draw 8k, the sky is falling. Really, we just have more space for fans, rather than fewer fans at games. Although I suppose nostalgia now encompasses even the '00's and the 20-30k more fans we drew than the last two years...
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Awesome, I'll be watching for the guy emptying his flask on ESPN.

We're pretty close to the same age, but 20 years... you basically came in for all the good times in FB an BB!

Oh no. I started paying attention to sports in about 1980, so I was around for the 80's Badgers in hoops and football. I remember the veer offense.

Was also around for the 80's Packers! How fun was that!?!?!

Comment

I predicted Eddie Lee Ivery was going to be the greatest Packer running back ever!

And except for two bad knees and a severe drug and alcohol addiction, I might have been right...
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I predicted Eddie Lee Ivery was going to be the greatest Packer running back ever!

And except for two bad knees and a severe drug and alcohol addiction, I might have been right...

If we'd have had a defense back then.

Lofton, Coffman and JJ...

Comment

News coming from Andy/Chuck and Baggot. Adam Rockwood sidelined indefinitely with CPT II, a genetic enzyme deficiency.
                  Last edited by UWisco; 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM.
                  WISCONSIN BADGERS
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                    News coming from Andy/Chuck and Baggot. Adam Rockwood sidelined indefinitely with CPT II, a genetic enzyme deficiency.
                    Rockwoods mom just tweeted at me that he should be back soon and that this is very manageable. I was pretty concerned when I first heard the news, but it seems like he should be fine as long as he's regulated. He's a good player, they need him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      Rockwoods mom just tweeted at me that he should be back soon and that this is very manageable. I was pretty concerned when I first heard the news, but it seems like he should be fine as long as he's regulated. He's a good player, they need him.
                      Very good to hear.
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        That's...different.

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        Phew.

Comment

Oh no. I started paying attention to sports in about 1980, so I was around for the 80's Badgers in hoops and football. I remember the veer offense.

What about the Bucks in the 80s? They were actually decent. They moved to a different city right...? NBA still exists?

I can't make friday night's game, and couldn't even give my tickets away at work. ****.
                          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                          Originally posted by UWisco
                          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            I think that people are missing the big story here...ChAndy gets tweets from players' moms!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                              I think that people are missing the big story here...ChAndy gets tweets from players' moms!!!
                              I'll put that on the resume.

Comment

I was curious so others might be too:

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/car...-ii-deficiency

Hopefully they can get it under control and get him back in the lineup soon.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X