This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

This team is doing dreadful this season but I still get excited each and every weekend. It's Badger hockey. The people on this thread that ***** over and over and don't watch the games or say they don't care anymore is laughable. Sure UW is 2-15-3 but I am more than excited to drive 30 miles to the Kohl Center tonight because I don't just jump ship. Laugh at me as much as you want but I still care about this team.

On Wisconsin
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
      This team is doing dreadful this season but I still get excited each and every weekend. It's Badger hockey. The people on this thread that ***** over and over and don't watch the games or say they don't care anymore is laughable. Sure UW is 2-15-3 but I am more than excited to drive 30 miles to the Kohl Center tonight because I don't just jump ship. Laugh at me as much as you want but I still care about this team.

On Wisconsin
      I think everyone here cares. If not I'm not sure why they are posting on a niche message board. That said, this is the most frustrating season I can remember. I don't blame people that take a night or a weekend off anymore. Losing f-ing sucks. Doing it every weekend can drive someone crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post

Nobody's laughing at you. Knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          It's not just that they have to play over 500 hockey, to reach 10 wins, they actually have to WIN 8 games. Maybe with 4 games each against MSU and OSU they could put something positive together, but I'd still be shocked if they manage more than 5 wins the rest of the season.

I've only seen a handful of games and those on TV, but I have also talked with a number of people who have been at the games. I've come to the following opinion:
          This Badger team might be the worst team across the board that I have ever seen. Positioning: Abysmal. Decision Making: Dysfunctional. Passing: Comical. Effort: Lackadaisically inconsistent .

There are squirt and peewee teams that play as a more unified group than this supposed Badger "team". It's reached the point of absolute absurdity that I just can't bring myself to care anymore about the game-to-game results .

This is the classic case of Eaves teams underachieving. It's almost as if Eaves is running a 4-yr clinic on how to be a professional hockey player (at the fans/university's expense) and not even trying to be a successful winning hockey program at UW.
          I hear ya. I also agree with your sentiment and think this is the worst UW hockey team I've seen as well (your assessment above is entirely accurate re: passing, decision making, effort, etc) and I thought I'd seen some terrible teams toward the end of Sauer's tenure but a look at the records suggests those UW teams (as atrocious as some of them were) would stomp today's team.

2001-02 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 16 19 4 .462
          2000-01 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 22 15 4 .585
          1999-00 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 31 9 1 .768 x x
          1998-99 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 15 19 4 .447
          1997-98 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 26 14 1 .646 x x
          1996-97 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 15 21 2 .421
          1995-96 Jeff Sauer WCHA I 17 20 3

earlier in this thread someone stated there are some me-first ego's/player's in the locker room. I sort of wonder who'd have the arrogance or audacity on this team to think or act that way. I don't see anyone on this team approaching the level of a Heatley, McDonagh, Pavelski, Earl, Gilbert et al individually in talent or impact. and you'd think their **** record would humble them a bit.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            A couple guys in back of me thought the Badgers had a form of Packeritis -- prevent defense -- after their 4-1 lead. I think for some reason (coaching?), UM picked it up and beat the Badgers to every puck. Boom, boom, it's 4-3. It's almost like they ran out of gas in the 2nd period, but that can't be possible. Or is it? Boom, boom it's 5-3. And on and on............
            Running out of gas is possible. The fourth line rarely sees the ice. Eaves had to actually use his timeout in the second period as the fourth line got stuck in their own zone forever and were completely gassed, iced the puck and could not change as a result of the icing. Also, Paape is the only player from the fourth line that kills penalties so McGuire and Cavallini probably each log a total of 3-4 minutes of ice time per night. They basically played with three forward lines and 4-5 defensemen last night.

I also wanted to say I really like Tim Davison's play. Yes, he makes some mistakes but he makes some great outlet passes and helps contribute to the offense. I think he should play more minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post

On Wisconsin
              I haven't jumped ship, but I have sold or gave away games this year because its not worth being upset or seeing lack of talent and effort by most. And as excited as I was to get up 4-1 last night and see Besse's wicked shot, I got to see the wheels come off yet again 2 shots in the second period. That's a frickin joke. not one shot on goal after the fourth goal. we did get a few shots in the third and didn't see final shots, as I headed towards the exit early, but suffice to say we played 22 minutes of 60.

I am glad you are excited, and to say we don't care is just ridiculous. We want change, because we care. If they don't make a coaching change after this year, I will be giving up at least one night of my season tickets (I have both nights). Its the only avenue I have left to express my displeasure. I wrote a letter to the AD's a few weeks back and did get an acknowledgement of the letter from Doherty so maybe they are starting to listen.

Mike Hastings looks better and better every week.....
              Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                Running out of gas is possible. The fourth line rarely sees the ice. Eaves had to actually use his timeout in the second period as the fourth line got stuck in their own zone forever and were completely gassed, iced the puck and could not change as a result of the icing. Also, Paape is the only player from the fourth line that kills penalties so McGuire and Cavallini probably each log a total of 3-4 minutes of ice time per night. They basically played with three forward lines and 4-5 defensemen last night.

I also wanted to say I really like Tim Davison's play. Yes, he makes some mistakes but he makes some great outlet passes and helps contribute to the offense. I think he should play more minutes.
                Hard to say, but without Eddie we're also giving up 20 plus pounds a man to Michigan's forwards, so fatigue late could certainly play into it. I agree on Davison... he's picked up his in zone coverage as well and frankly I'd rather see the puck in his hands then Drake's lately. I don't know if our other D have just improved or he is playing that much worse, but Chase hasn't looked good comparatively with the puck since the break. Davison and Besse did both make terrible plays on the go ahead goal though.

I thought Jack D held up his end pretty well too. Hyman is probably going to be a Hobie finalist and he's probably not even Michigan's best player. It's a big job for any 4-5 guys to match up. Michigan has 10 guys at a point per game or more in conference.

Wisconsin's whole scheme depends on D to get the puck back and get it out clean to start the play. Did that a lot in the first and got the stretch passes to keep Michigan off of them. Down 4-1 Michigan pressed and we again had difficulty getting it out clean. I expect Michigan to press harder early tonight.

Back to work, boys. Win or lose, the tough games keep coming.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Fire eaves now!!! Embarrassed to say i am a fan.

Comment

Wow. Just, wow.

I don't believe that Eaves will be fired at the end of the year, but it's hard to believe that they couldn't have seen how poor this team could be after losing so many upperclassmen after last season.

I'm thinking that the next thread should be called "Wisconsin Hockey: Polishing the turd"
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                      Wow. Just, wow.

I don't believe that Eaves will be fired at the end of the year

I'm thinking that the next thread should be called "Wisconsin Hockey: Polishing the turd"
                      Sadly I fear that Eaves isn't going to be fired either. How you keep a coach on who just had the worst season in the history of the program (worst by a wide margin at that) is unfathomable to me.

The next thread needs to be: Wisconsin Hockey: No Where To Go But Up!

Comment

Posick just said they have some "highlights to get to after the break". I'm not even morbidly curious.
                        Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                        sigpic
                        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                          Posick just said they have some "highlights to get to after the break". I'm not even morbidly curious.
                          In fairness, he probably didn't say "Badger highlights." He is a professional after all.

I also saw that "attendance" for tonight was 13,699. There were NOWHERE near that many people in the seats based on the live stream.
                          Last edited by gwhinwi; 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

It's way worse seeing it in person from the first row of the 3rd tier. You see the disjointedness in all it's glory from up there. The D are terrible. They are not physical and they are not decisive. Also, when you watch the gals breakout like a machine and play with poise with the puck on their stick (including the freshmen) in the afternoon, then watch the guys, it just makes it all the worse. We stayed until the end and there was a good amount of cheering from the faithful that stayed, but that was hard to sit through.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              The next thread needs to be: Wisconsin Hockey: No Where To Go But Up!
                              Which is indeed the entire basis for climbing mountains.
                              Last edited by XYZ; 01-24-2015, 11:06 PM.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                                Wow. Just, wow.

I don't believe that Eaves will be fired at the end of the year, but it's hard to believe that they couldn't have seen how poor this team could be after losing so many upperclassmen after last season.

Suggest a slight modification:

Wisconsin Hockey: A turd is a turd. You can paint it pink, but it is still a turd.

Comment

Working...
                                X