• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

LOL. 3-2 UMass. Same ole same ole.

Comment

Line
        Shore line

Comment

Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. .....

Comment

$200k a year needs to be evaluated...

I m pretty sure most of us would have the same record and the same recruits at this point.

Comment

I'm pretty confident Red has little chance to get this ship righted this season
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                $200k a year needs to be evaluated...

I m pretty sure most of us would have the same record and the same recruits at this point.
                Who would you replace him with? I can't imagine he had much money to play with last year where Maine only lost J. Swavely, O'Conner, and Anthoine for skaters. Hopefully Red doesn't bring Norman back for a fifth year and also moves Campbell along and replaces them with guys who are productive. A lot of his recruits are so young it is going to be five years or so before we know if they are any good. Looking back I think the school made a huge mistake taking so long to hire a coach. Red should have been in place six weeks earlier than when he was hired. Why they took so long is beyond me.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I'm pretty confident Red has little chance to get this ship righted this season
                  Or next. Or ever.

Comment

Outshooting a team 23-8 in their building at one point and then losing is the most Red road thing thats happened yet.

Its over. Its been over for a while but now its really over

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      Or next. Or ever.
                      Not quite that far yet. We all knew the team was down, maybe we didn't realize how far. There are ZERO scorers on this team. Until that changes..............
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Speaking of young recruits, what's the over/under on:

* probability Red is behind the bench when Wahlstrom* gets to Orono?

50-50? 40-60?

Based on absolutely nothing, I'll go 45%

* yeah, yeah, assuming he doesn't decommit between now and . . . what is it? 2020?
                        Last edited by amherstblackbear; 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

With the L, Maine slides down to 51st in PWR -- below Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, UConn, Holy Cross, Bentley, Alabama-Huntsville(!), UMass, Sacred Heart, and Brown.

But they're still 4 spots ahead of #55 Wisconsin (2-11-2). So . . . it could be worse? Barely?

Seriously, what on earth is going on in Madison?
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Who would you replace him with? I can't imagine he had much money to play with last year where Maine only lost J. Swavely, O'Conner, and Anthoine for skaters. Hopefully Red doesn't bring Norman back for a fifth year and also moves Campbell along and replaces them with guys who are productive. A lot of his recruits are so young it is going to be five years or so before we know if they are any good. Looking back I think the school made a huge mistake taking so long to hire a coach. Red should have been in place six weeks earlier than when he was hired. Why they took so long is beyond me.
                            The school has screwed up so much else, why should that be any different? I have heard that Ben Guite would make a fine replacement, but we're nowhere near that point yet - if he'd even want the job if they fired Red.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Red just said in the pregame interview he isn't a big fan of them. I think they were scheduled before he came on board. They are better than games against AIC, Bentley, or a Canadian team.
                            They were. I don't think anyone likes them. These games had to be added when Hockey East expanded. Tomorrow will mark the end of them.

Tonight marks the fifth time they have had a lead after two periods and lost the game. The first three they gave up a goal late and then lost in overtime. The fourth was the UNH game in Portland where they led 4-3 and promptly surrendered four unanswered.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              Or next. Or ever.
                              This is what I ve been saying most of this season. 16-11 late last season and the wheels have come off the cart. More importantly, there's little chance to get things corrected with this coach, if any. Will the team be any better next yr or the yr after, with the next two recruiting classes? Nope, don't see it. Even our two All Americans, injury or not, aren't good anymore. Red Gendron is a failure as a head coach, plain and simple, and he 'd be the first to say so, at this juncture.

Comment

I don't think Gendron would be happy with the results so far, but I don't think he'd go so far as to consider himself a failure as a head coach. There hasn't been enough time yet to rebuild the program. They aren't starting completely from scratch because Maine Hockey has a tradition and an aura about it that never went away. What was lacking towards the end of the last coaching regime was an assistant coach with charisma who could get quality recruits with character that have a drive to compete beyond their skill level and continue to improve and not give up. The margin of error is small, and I'm not saying the current players aren't competitive, but they don't have a cutthroat mentality needed to closeout and win the close games, shift after shift, period after period, game after game. Gendron can't magically produce character players when they weren't the kind of players that he selected to respond to his demands and the precision that he expects, nor can he teach talent. This is a process. The results aren't happening as fast as we hoped they would, but I still haven't lost faith in the coaching staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X