This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Another recruit, 6 foot 6 inch Stephen Cochrane, Thayer Academy, 96 birth date, Dman
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      If that's going to happen, these guys gotta get their heads out of their azzes and decide to play hard. Scoring 3 goals twice against Canisius isn't something to be cheering about. If that's what they want to sit back and reflect on at the end of the season, fine, but these guys gotta start playing like they care about competing and winning, and the game isn't just something they have to get through before the parties start.

Expected a lot more from this team in Red's second year. A lot more. Not necessarily in wins, but just in how they play the game.They've taken a huge step back in my opinion. Where's the grit, the hustle, the intensity level?
      "Where's the grit,the hustle,the intensity level"....I think your one of many that are wondering just that...really disappointing.

Comment

If that's going to happen, these guys gotta get their heads out of their azzes and decide to play hard. Scoring 3 goals twice against Canisius isn't something to be cheering about. If that's what they want to sit back and reflect on at the end of the season, fine, but these guys gotta start playing like they care about competing and winning, and the game isn't just something they have to get through before the parties start.

Expected a lot more from this team in Red's second year. A lot more. Not necessarily in wins, but just in how they play the game.They've taken a huge step back in my opinion. Where's the grit, the hustle, the intensity level?
        It's not there and that's why at this point I could give 2 chits about this team. I said at the beginning of the season I didn't expect much from the win/loss column...maybe .500, but I at least wanted to see a hard nosed, hard working, well conditioned team, that actually looked like they gave a crap. Very disappointing.

Comment

And when is this inappropriately named thread going to die????? The next thread should be Maine Hockey 2014-2015..from bad to worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            It's not there and that's why at this point I could give 2 chits about this team. I said at the beginning of the season I didn't expect much from the win/loss column...maybe .500, but I at least wanted to see a hard nosed, hard working, well conditioned team, that actually looked like they gave a crap. Very disappointing.
            There is a difference between effort and results. Maine could pretty easily have four more wins, all against good teams, but the rub of the green or whatever didn't go their way. i don't really understand some of the defending but other than that haven't been too disappointed with how Maine has played.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              There is a difference between effort and results. Maine could pretty easily have four more wins, all against good teams, but the rub of the green or whatever didn't go their way. i don't really understand some of the defending but other than that haven't been too disappointed with how Maine has played.
              I am with you... I think that they are giving it their all, and their all is just nowhere near what it used to be for Maine. I think that they DO play 60 minute games, but the D does not know how to play hard nosed D and the O has VERY LITTLE talent and Shore is hurt pretty bad... (unless he put on like 45 lbs... which I doubt.) Byron is shifty and getting back his old form. Shurhamer is great with the puck, but not so great around his own crease. hamilton stands guys up at the blue line a few times a game, but is also not great around his own crease with the game on the line. a bunch of them are just lunch pail 4th line grinders who will never get to the next level... but I do see them trying.

look at the highlights of the Union Bu game on th e hockeyeasonline web page... look at the pass pass pass plays by union that led to goals, and realize that Maine has not done that since teddy and Levs, or ever Kariya monty Ingraham....

the talent is not there.... and the goaltending is atrocius, but I think that they all try and are giving it their all. (but are simply lost in D1 games)

Comment

All kinds of wierd chit going on over the border. Broken rinks, fired women's coach, tired men's coach, excessive recruit contact, abusive goalies. Cherist before you know they'll win a NC ! . Just chitin ya
                Last edited by all bear; 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM.
                sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                  I am with you... I think that they are giving it their all, and their all is just nowhere near what it used to be for Maine. I think that they DO play 60 minute games, but the D does not know how to play hard nosed D and the O has VERY LITTLE talent and Shore is hurt pretty bad... (unless he put on like 45 lbs... which I doubt.) Byron is shifty and getting back his old form. Shurhamer is great with the puck, but not so great around his own crease. hamilton stands guys up at the blue line a few times a game, but is also not great around his own crease with the game on the line. a bunch of them are just lunch pail 4th line grinders who will never get to the next level... but I do see them trying.

look at the highlights of the Union Bu game on th e hockeyeasonline web page... look at the pass pass pass plays by union that led to goals, and realize that Maine has not done that since teddy and Levs, or ever Kariya monty Ingraham....

the talent is not there.... and the goaltending is atrocius, but I think that they all try and are giving it their all. (but are simply lost in D1 games)
                  I think the defense has been a lot worse than the goaltending. I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems like the level of goaltending is pretty even in hockey east. Is there any goalie in the league stealing games for his team?

Having Shore and Higgins healthy plus Lomberg on the team would make all the difference in the world offensively. I think Maine is a top five hockey east team with that.

Comment

And in those four games the effort, the grit, the intensity was there. But there have been too many other games against lesser, or at least equal, opponents where they just seem to be going through the motions. Glaring mental mistakes, lackadaisical effort, stupid penalties They'd have a much better record if they'd have played all, or most of their games, at the level they did in the BU games. But for whatever reason, they don't.

It's like they've still got a TIMMAY-time temperament, which for the most part, should be eliminated from this squad, given that most of the guys depended upon to play major roles now are freshmen and sophomores.
                    Last edited by rufus; 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      And in those four games the effort, the grit, the intensity was there. But there have been too many other games against lesser, or at least equal, opponents where they just seem to be going through the motions. Glaring mental mistakes, lackadaisical effort, stupid penalties They'd have a much better record if they'd have played all, or most of their games, at the level they did in the BU games. But for whatever reason, they don't.

It's like they've still got a TIMMAY-time temperament, which for the most part, should be eliminated from this squad, given that most of the guys depended upon to play major roles now are freshmen and sophomores.
                      Which games are you referring to where they lost to lesser opponents?

Comment

I think the defense has been a lot worse than the goaltending. I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems like the level of goaltending is pretty even in hockey east. Is there any goalie in the league stealing games for his team?

Having Shore and Higgins healthy plus Lomberg on the team would make all the difference in the world offensively. I think Maine is a top five hockey east team with that.

Gilles...he doesnt steal games per se because he has a decent team in front of him, he just shuts opponents out.
                        sure why not

Comment

Which games are you referring to where they lost to lesser opponents?
                          Maine was 54 in PWR, there are no lesser teams
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I would say the two Alaskas, and UHN for beginners. Probably throw Vermont in there. Perhaps lesser wasn't the best choice of words, but teams we should at least have been able to beat, had they played as well as they did against BU, or even the first UHN game.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Maine was 54 in PWR, there are no lesser teams
                              Come on Wally, they're tied for 49th now after the big weekend sweep. 4 places ahead of Lake St.

Comment

I would say the two Alaskas, and UHN for beginners. Probably throw Vermont in there. Perhaps lesser wasn't the best choice of words, but teams we should at least have been able to beat, had they played as well as they did against BU, or even the first UHN game.
                                I wouldn't call Vt a lesser team or a team they should of beat. They could've but didn't. VT is 12th in the poll and PWR. Ahhh remember the days when we thought 12th in the PWR was a horrible season.....

Comment

Working...
                                X