X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Tough to say bias there when Maine finished the game on a 6-on-3.
    Again, that was 2004. The biased referee was Piotrowski, in 2002 in Minneapolis. This is the same guy who had tossed Walsh from the final game of his life the year before. Maine had the championship won until his phantom calls (and mysterious non-calls) handed the title to the Gophers - in their own building. (yeah yeah, neutral site)

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Again, that was 2004. The biased referee was Piotrowski, in 2002 in Minneapolis. This is the same guy who had tossed Walsh from the final game of his life the year before. Maine had the championship won until his phantom calls (and mysterious non-calls) handed the title to the Gophers - in their own building. (yeah yeah, neutral site)

That's a name that dare not ever be mentioned at Alfond Arena

Comment

What's the big news on the "Grant Standbrook Fund" being released tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/WCSHSPORTSGUY

http://umaine.edu/savage-challenge/w...-forever-fund/

Hopefully a MAJOR donation!

Comment

He's a biased referee and a skate blade away from being a two-time NCAA champion.
          This is amazing.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            The ref didn't score the tieing goal with under a minute to go. Timmay was out coached in the last minute for sure. Didn't even use a time out before the biggest face off of his career, one goal lead, face off in your zone, extra attacker situation. I know people that immediately thought the university made a huge mistake after he got the job following that performance. Nutcase from day one.

And the overtime penalty call on maine was not phantom - it was a penalty, but he did miss an obvious make up call shortly after. A linesman did make a phantom icing call on Maine in OT (Robert Liscak was clearly past the center line when he sent the puck down ice for a line change), commentators even said it would be a shame if Maine lost on the resulting face off.
            Last edited by BassAle; 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Votefor jeanhaybright, TF F. You might not be a know it all but you have a good memory
              bite your tongue... I do know it all... and

I sure miss AMCoffee, Revoman... and I know that south dakaota is backward.

Comment

Outcoached the last ten minutes or so of the third period, I'd say.

I've said it before, I knew Maine would win the 1999 game against UHN about halfway through the third, when whenever a UHN player got the puck on his stick in his own end, all they would do was chip it out, hack it up ice, ice it, anything to get it off their stick and hopefully out of their zone. Must have taken ten or so unforced icings. Whereas Maine, Metcalf would calmly circle back behind his net, pick up the puck, and start the breakout into the NH end.

I knew Maine would lose that 2002 game against Minnie about halfway through the third period when they were the ones hacking the puck out, no one wanted anything to do with the puck on their stick in that situation, and they were the ones taking the unforced icings. Playing not to lose, the TIMMAY way.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?
                  I did. To the AD. A 30 minute phone conversation in late Dec 2012.

Comment

Some good news

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...20141217mr3716

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                      Coach Red Gendron and friends established the Grant Standbrook Maine Hockey Forever Fund this fall with a generous donation of 5% of his salary on an annual basis. The gift represents the largest gift ever made by a current coach at the University of Maine.
                      How much are they paying him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        How much are they paying him?
                        About 170 grand or thereabouts. So he is contibuting about 8500 annually, a very generous contribution. I have 100 shares of a stock I will not likely ever cash out so I'm thinking no better place for it than in Grants name. His superb work has given me many fond memories over the years. I sure hope he is able to keep his fingers in the program in some form or fashion.
                        Last edited by all bear; 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM.
                        sure why not

Comment

Red Gendron is paid $205,000 per year.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/2...-hockey-coach/

Comment

You know, it's really nice to see that Grant, with all his ties to and success with Wisconsin, has chosen in his retirement years to align himself so closely with the Maine Black Bears hockey program. I think it's a nice testament to how much he gave and contributed to the program, and how much the fans gave back to him.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Mid year poll from last week: http://q30television.com/2014/12/17/...r-polls-12814/
                              Quinnipiac University '15
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                              ECAC Championship: 2016
                              NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                              Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                You know, it's really nice to see that Grant, with all his ties to and success with Wisconsin, has chosen in his retirement years to align himself so closely with the Maine Black Bears hockey program. I think it's a nice testament to how much he gave and contributed to the program, and how much the fans gave back to him.
                                This is great of Red to do, but I don't like what it says structurally about our athletic program.

1. UMaine's athletic department is flat broke. Having the head coach have to give back 5% of his salary just to get to a baseline of spending is not a good thing. If UMaine isn't fully funding hockey the way they should, what ARE they fully funding?

2. We aren't paying coaches enough. I have no idea why, but I clicked on the front page article about UMD's women's coach not being retained. She was making more than Red. For coaching a WOMEN'S program. Tough to win if you aren't going to shell out for your coaches.

3. Which leads me to my annual statement that Maine needs to completely reconfigure its sports offerings. I'd love to drop football, but with the modest success they've had in the JV leagues lately, I realize that isn't going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X