X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    The #2 goalie gave up 2 goals against Lowell, one of the better teams in the league. Most teams, you give up only two goals, you win. But as has been the case for most of the past eight years or so, these guys can't score in a hooah house. Every goalie they play against is the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Defense would be improved if Red would put Jake Rutt in the stands and keep him there. I'd play Norman or Hayes in his place anyday.
    Yes on Hayes playing Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Well said. Goaltending is the least of Maine's problems. You could pick any goalie in hockey east and put them on Maine and Maine's record wouldn't be much if any better. There is no easy fix and people who think that are delusional.
      Are you for real...goaltending is a Major concern...and there are many goalies in Hockey East that would make a difference...Demko BC/ Gilles PC/ Nicoles UConn and that's just a few...Goaltending wins and is the BACKBONE of starting a NEW Foundation in turning this Program around...start from the back and work you way out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Are you for real...goaltending is a Major concern...and there are many goalies in Hockey East that would make a difference...Demko BC/ Gilles PC/ Nicoles UConn and that's just a few...Goaltending wins and is the BACKBONE of starting a NEW Foundation in turning this Program around...start from the back and work you way out.
        So what goalie would have stopped the 2 goals last night. You recruiting Hasek or Roy. Let's say he stops one, guess what maine still loses. Morris can't stop tip ins when half the Lowell skaters are in the crease with him
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
          I'd like to believe its just lack of talent that's the problem but its that and something behind the bench too. He had the kids playing a lot harder last year than this year... have they tuned him out or has Red let off the gas pedal?

Because with what he has for talent from the goalie on out, they sure as hell better be the hardest working team out there, because they won't out talent many if any teams. No creativity in their forwards, no ability to make space, room and therefore very limited scoring chances.

How can you have a team with two All Americans that is as inept at scoring as these guys. Its frustrating as all phk to watch them play and create nothing. Game after game after game.

I have little interest in following this team, and most or all people I know that used to follow them no longer do. Something has got to change and quick.
          Quote from Shore in the BDN says that they "just weren't hungry enough'. Which begs the question, with their record, and their performances over the last two seasons, why aren't they hungry enough? What do they need to happen to make them hungry enough?

Seems to me like a lack of a lot of character guys. Guys who are hungry enough.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Quote from Shore in the BDN says that they "just weren't hungry enough'. Which begs the question, with their record, and their performances over the last two seasons, why aren't they hungry enough? What do they need to happen to make them hungry enough?

The #6 team in the country comes into Alford and they're not hungry enough ??!! What ta phck ails them? Why don't they have the seed to admit that their just not good enough nor competitive enough to compete at this level. This ain't D3 hockey boys.
            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Gendron's post game "Rex Ryan act" is getting somewhat tiresome.

“We didn’t come out with the necessary intensity. We were back on our heels,” said Gendron. “Our compete level wasn’t what it should have been. I have a big issue with that. There’s no excuses.”

I thought Maine competed overall as much as UML. There were some lapses, as there are in any hockey game. Bigger issue is talent and execution.
              If your BF timmay was coaching he would have said "I liked the effort, we can try a little harder, overall i'm happy with where our team is"
              I'm not happy about the teams direction and results this year but THE one thing I like about Red is his fire and ability to not sugar coat things. Nothing worse when a team is playing bad and you don't acknowledge the elephant in the room. I like reds passion and ripping into the team.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                So what goalie would have stopped the 2 goals last night. You recruiting Hasek or Roy. Let's say he stops one, guess what maine still loses. Morris can't stop tip ins when half the Lowell skaters are in the crease with him
                Not talking about last nights game...but the Goaltending in general needs to be addressed...and as far as a Roy/Hasek...I talking about bringing in a kid to turn this Program around...maybe he could be the NEXT????...you fill in the Blank.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                  Age has nothing to do with it, and it's ridiculous to say the game has passed him by. If we get the same results next year then maybe I won't be so quick to say "give it time," but for right now I don't see any other head coach coming in and doing a whole heckuva lot better with the players that we have now. Experience and wisdom are something you can't buy, and Gendron has paid his dues and you couldn't have asked for a better staff to come in and rebuild the program than the people Gendron has brought in with him to coach the team. As far as assessing players goes, wasn't it mentioned that Vessey was benched for a weekend just before he started to pick up his game and start scoring? He does assess players and he holds them accountable, but short of scoring goals himself what more can you ask of Gendron? Lower ticket prices is the major gripe that I have right now, because the way they are playing doesn't warrant the cost of coming out and seeing them play every weekend right now, but I doubt Gendron has much to do with that aspect.
                  Isn't experience and wisdom and the Stanley cup rings some of the reasons he got hired and gets paid over $200,000 or was he just lucky to be in the right place at the right time during his stint with the Devils?

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    I'd like to believe its just lack of talent that's the problem but its that and something behind the bench too. He had the kids playing a lot harder last year than this year... have they tuned him out or has Red let off the gas pedal?

Because with what he has for talent from the goalie on out, they sure as hell better be the hardest working team out there, because they won't out talent many if any teams. No creativity in their forwards, no ability to make space, room and therefore very limited scoring chances.

How can you have a team with two All Americans that is as inept at scoring as these guys. Its frustrating as all phk to watch them play and create nothing. Game after game after game.

I have little interest in following this team, and most or all people I know that used to follow them no longer do. Something has got to change and quick.
                    I'm also baffled by the play of Hutton and Shore this year. Team leaders last year, and struggling in the leadership role this year. Maybe Devin needs a little humbling time skating with the fourth line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      Not talking about last nights game...but the Goaltending in general needs to be addressed...and as far as a Roy/Hasek...I talking about bringing in a kid to turn this Program around...maybe he could be the NEXT????...you fill in the Blank.
                      Look at these losing scores: 2-0;3-2;3-2;4-1;4-1;3-2;3-1;4-1;3-0;3-1. these aren't all of the games, but if you can't score more than 1 or 2 goals a game, you aren't going to win many, even if your goalie does play well. Even if the goalie stops just one of those goals each game, Maine still doesn't win any of them. You need some kids who can put the puck in the net.

You're basically expecting the goalie to pitch a shutout every game for this team to have a chance, and there's not a goalie in the league that can do that playing behind this defense.

Where's the defense Red had playing when he was at Yale?
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Look at these losing scores: 2-0;3-2;3-2;4-1;4-1;3-2;3-1;4-1;3-0;3-1. these aren't all of the games, but if you can't score more than 1 or 2 goals a game, you aren't going to win many, even if your goalie does play well. Even if the goalie stops just one of those goals each game, Maine still doesn't win any of them. You need some kids who can put the puck in the net.

You're basically expecting the goalie to pitch a shutout every game for this team to have a chance, and there's not a goalie in the league that can do that playing behind this defense.

One of the reasons I thought he would be a really good fit for this team was because of his success being a defensive coach on a NCAA championship team. Stay with your strength and let the other two coaches hone your O

Comment

This.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairman of the Boards View Post
                            Maybe because Red sucks as a head coach. He's showing his age.
                            I don't think that Red sucks, but as a first-time college coach at 55, he might not have the kids' ears.

I don't think I'm selling revisionist history here when I say that I liked Corkum's relative youth and his success as a player in both the NCAA (and at Maine) and at the NHL level, back when he was a candidate for the job.

Aren't those the same exact things that Maine is trying to sell to plum recruits? If I'm a kid trying to make it to The Show, I might be much more sold on what Bob has actually accomplished via the same route he's offering me.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-17-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Oh I know they need scoring...they NEED A-LOT on this Team...it would be nice if there many shots on goal...or attempts would find the mark...I would guess they miss the net on 30% of there attempts,but when they do get the chances they have NOBODY that can finish...as far as Goaltending I will stick by imo and say they need to address it in the next year or two...hopefully then the Defenseman recruits can turn it around and make whomever mans the crease a little bit easier...7-15-1 is not cutting it...well if I saw the effort/grit and game to game improvement...then I might feel a little bit better in the direction of this Team.

Comment

I' m going to go watch BC, they should kill Maine today. If Maine can't score on teams without Demko, should be a goose egg on a team with Demko
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X