X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Gendron's post game "Rex Ryan act" is getting somewhat tiresome.

“We didn’t come out with the necessary intensity. We were back on our heels,” said Gendron. “Our compete level wasn’t what it should have been. I have a big issue with that. There’s no excuses.”

I thought Maine competed overall as much as UML. There were some lapses, as there are in any hockey game. Bigger issue is talent and execution.
    I doubt you are going to hear a coach talk about a lack of talent at the college level. Execution is definitely an issue, now whether thats talent or coaching or both remains to be seen. I wonder why Red hasn't tried clogging up the neutral zone and slowing teams down?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I'll go to the game and make it home in time for the Pats. I don't see them giving BC any kind of game unless BC thinks they've won before the game starts and even then BC can win it in the last period no matter what the lead is going in. This team just doesn't get it
      If you don't have the talent you have to make it up with hard work and intensity. Red gets that but I'm not sure about the players.

I think a big problem with this team is they don't have an identity. They're not really offensive, defensive, physical, or fast. I think Red wants to play an offensive, fast-paced style but I'm not sure he has the personnel right now.

Agree with what others posted earlier in the week that it's getting increasingly harder to be interested in the team. As far as Red it's hard to say if he is the right man and I guess the harder part is if he isn't the right person who is?
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Given what we've all seen this season, I would not wager on Maine beating or tying BC tomorrow. This is not meant to be an understatement. It's actually painful to write it.
        Saw BC - BU last night. BC took it to the "#2 team in the country" pretty good. They played with intensity, got to pucks early, forechecked really well etc etc. BU as expected came out blazing in the 3rd and made a good game of it. It was good BC-BU hockey with no love lost, tons of penalties early, alot of shoving/punching/hitting, and a couple of 5 on 3's that were a shooting gallery. It kills me to say that the Black Bears are simply not in the same "league" with these guys. And for the 7000th time, bigger is not necessarily better but the goalies are 6'4" and 6'6" respectively. Demko far quicker than O'Connor IMHO. Until Maine gets a real D-1 goalie, not alot will change. And lastly, former Maine commit Nicky Roberto continues to play hard and fast for BU. 3rd line BU. 1st or 2nd line Maine if he had gone. Sheet, why can't we get guys like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Gendron's post game "Rex Ryan act" is getting somewhat tiresome.

“We didn’t come out with the necessary intensity. We were back on our heels,” said Gendron. “Our compete level wasn’t what it should have been. I have a big issue with that. There’s no excuses.”

I thought Maine competed overall as much as UML. There were some lapses, as there are in any hockey game. Bigger issue is talent and execution.

The Press Herald had a few other quotes from Gendron that you may have missed:

“The other team came in here and they really wanted it and we weren’t ready for that,” Gendron said, sarcastically mentioning that his team may have let last Saturday’s 3-0 win at UMass go to its head. “Maybe (the River Hawks) didn’t get the memo about how good we were.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/01/1...ack-bears-2-0/

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            worse for me paying to have this "video". wish I was close enough to go to a game and then ***** about it. at least then I'd have good company for pizza and beers.
            I tried that video. It was so bad, I gave up and wrote them demanding a refund. They say they have processed the refund.
            Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
            Given what we've all seen this season, I would not wager on Maine beating or tying BC tomorrow. This is not meant to be an understatement. It's actually painful to write it.
            Saw BC - BU last night. BC took it to the "#2 team in the country" pretty good. They played with intensity, got to pucks early, forechecked really well etc etc. BU as expected came out blazing in the 3rd and made a good game of it.
            BC often takes about 1/3-1/2 the season to 'gel' and then they can become truly terrifying if they weren't already. I'm thankful we've already played one game against them, wish we'd played both.
            Last edited by Go-UML; 01-17-2015, 09:43 AM.
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

If you prefer, you can see the whole interview here: http://wmebsports.com/

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post

“The other team came in here and they really wanted it and we weren’t ready for that,” Gendron said, sarcastically mentioning that his team may have let last Saturday’s 3-0 win at UMass go to its head. “Maybe (the River Hawks) didn’t get the memo about how good we were.”

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                Saw BC - BU last night. BC took it to the "#2 team in the country" pretty good. They played with intensity, got to pucks early, forechecked really well etc etc. BU as expected came out blazing in the 3rd and made a good game of it. It was good BC-BU hockey with no love lost, tons of penalties early, alot of shoving/punching/hitting, and a couple of 5 on 3's that were a shooting gallery. It kills me to say that the Black Bears are simply not in the same "league" with these guys. And for the 7000th time, bigger is not necessarily better but the goalies are 6'4" and 6'6" respectively. Demko far quicker than O'Connor IMHO. Until Maine gets a real D-1 goalie, not alot will change. And lastly, former Maine commit Nicky Roberto continues to play hard and fast for BU. 3rd line BU. 1st or 2nd line Maine if he had gone. Sheet, why can't we get guys like that?
                Morris wasn't the reason Maine lost last night. He may have gotten one of those goals but the 2nd one, not a chance. I agree about bigger goalies.Although North Dakota always did well with smurfs.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I doubt you are going to hear a coach talk about a lack of talent at the college level. Execution is definitely an issue, now whether thats talent or coaching or both remains to be seen. I wonder why Red hasn't tried clogging up the neutral zone and slowing teams down?
                  Maybe because Red sucks as a head coach. Never adapts during a game. He's showing his age. The game has passed him by. Continues to juggle his lines ineffectively. When the hell is he going to put Hayes on D to punish some guys in front of the net? D continues to hold puck to long, not making quick outlet passes and getting pinned in D-zone. What the hell does the coaching staff see when they review game tape? If Red doesn't change and reassess his players and pick his game up, you all will be calling for his head. just like you did with Whitehead when he failed at doing his job behind the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairman of the Boards View Post
                    Maybe because Red sucks as a head coach. Never adapts during a game. He's showing his age. The game has passed him by. Continues to juggle his lines ineffectively. When the hell is he going to put Hayes on D to punish some guys in front of the net? D continues to hold puck to long, not making quick outlet passes and getting pinned in D-zone. What the hell does the coaching staff see when they review game tape? If Red doesn't change and reassess his players and pick his game up, you all will be calling for his head. just like you did with Whitehead when he failed at doing his job behind the bench.
                    I think he gets a pass until his recruits start showing up but I'm wondering about his coaching at this point. Nothing seems to change and thats on him

Comment

Originally posted by Chairman of the Boards View Post

Age has nothing to do with it, and it's ridiculous to say the game has passed him by. If we get the same results next year then maybe I won't be so quick to say "give it time," but for right now I don't see any other head coach coming in and doing a whole heckuva lot better with the players that we have now. Experience and wisdom are something you can't buy, and Gendron has paid his dues and you couldn't have asked for a better staff to come in and rebuild the program than the people Gendron has brought in with him to coach the team. As far as assessing players goes, wasn't it mentioned that Vessey was benched for a weekend just before he started to pick up his game and start scoring? He does assess players and he holds them accountable, but short of scoring goals himself what more can you ask of Gendron? Lower ticket prices is the major gripe that I have right now, because the way they are playing doesn't warrant the cost of coming out and seeing them play every weekend right now, but I doubt Gendron has much to do with that aspect.
                      Last edited by blackbearbandie; 01-17-2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Goaltending-Goaltending-Goaltending...until this is taken care of,nothing will change...even with better recruits coming in...if your 'tending is iffy/hot & cold then your going no-where's fast.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post

That's a hallmark of TIMMAY teams, and probably a leftover remnant. Have a little success, no matter how minor, or what the competition was, and be satisfied and complacent. Instead of whetting the appetite for more of it, that little bit is enough.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Goaltending-Goaltending-Goaltending...until this is taken care of,nothing will change...even with better recruits coming in...if your 'tending is iffy/hot & cold then your going no-where's fast.
                            The #2 goalie gave up 2 goals against Lowell, one of the better teams in the league. Most teams, you give up only two goals, you win. But as has been the case for most of the past eight years or so, these guys can't score in a hooah house. Every goalie they play against is the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Defense would be improved if Red would put Jake Rutt in the stands and keep him there. I'd play Norman or Hayes in his place anyday.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              The #2 goalie gave up 2 goals against Lowell, one of the better teams in the league. Most teams, you give up only two goals, you win. But as has been the case for most of the past eight years or so, these guys can't score in a hooah house. Every goalie they play against is the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Defense would be improved if Red would put Jake Rutt in the stands and keep him there. I'd play Norman or Hayes in his place anyday.
                              Well said. Goaltending is the least of Maine's problems. You could pick any goalie in hockey east and put them on Maine and Maine's record wouldn't be much if any better. There is no easy fix and people who think that are delusional.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I'd like to believe its just lack of talent that's the problem but its that and something behind the bench too. He had the kids playing a lot harder last year than this year... have they tuned him out or has Red let off the gas pedal?

Because with what he has for talent from the goalie on out, they sure as hell better be the hardest working team out there, because they won't out talent many if any teams. No creativity in their forwards, no ability to make space, room and therefore very limited scoring chances.

How can you have a team with two All Americans that is as inept at scoring as these guys. Its frustrating as all phk to watch them play and create nothing. Game after game after game.

I have little interest in following this team, and most or all people I know that used to follow them no longer do. Something has got to change and quick.
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X