X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
    I don't think Gendron would be happy with the results so far, but I don't think he'd go so far as to consider himself a failure as a head coach. There hasn't been enough time yet to rebuild the program. They aren't starting completely from scratch because Maine Hockey has a tradition and an aura about it that never went away. What was lacking towards the end of the last coaching regime was an assistant coach with charisma who could get quality recruits with character that have a drive to compete beyond their skill level and continue to improve and not give up. The margin of error is small, and I'm not saying the current players aren't competitive, but they don't have a cutthroat mentality needed to closeout and win the close games, shift after shift, period after period, game after game. Gendron can't magically produce character players when they weren't the kind of players that he selected to respond to his demands and the precision that he expects, nor can he teach talent. This is a process. The results aren't happening as fast as we hoped they would, but I still haven't lost faith in the coaching staff.
    i do not put these losses on the team's will. I think they give it their all, but there ain't much all there.
    UMass played rope a dope with maine last night... letting Maine keep the puck at the perimeter for 2 full periods... out shooting the opposition 28-6 or whatever it was means nothing if none of the shots are from in close or are quality shots.... or if the goalie is going to keep giving up softies shorthanded.

then once maine was gasses AGAIN, UMass comes alive..

the upsides I saw last night were that Maine tried putting the puck on net during the power plays, rather than pass pass pass...

odd things I saw... UMass shot the puck WAY after the whistle and was not called by Hansen (I think it was Scott) who called 2 misc.'s on Soares for much less eggregious late shots...
    the UMass first goal was off sides... and Bernard usually errs on the side of caution and blows down legal plays... he misses a few last night... including the one at the end where Brown was NOT offsides, yet he blew the whistle...

and Voss had a bizzarre need to call 2 ticky tack calls to give Umass 2 5 on 3's each lasting over a minute??? bad bad bad

a HUGE slash on Teggler was overlooked, but a big slash on Shore was called (both behind the play).

Shore's line stood still on 2 UMass goals... someone needs to work with the forwards on D in their own end... they cannot just stand still, like the D does.

can anyone get a game tape of Union's D to see what they are doing? "writing the book on coaching" seems to only go so far, if the game does not happen around cones.

last, I think that the conditioning is suspect... Umass took it to a well-gassed Maine team, like everyone else seems to.

Comment

Does Jay Leach do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        Does Jay Leach do anything?
        He's a Hobby Pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Who would you replace him with? I can't imagine he had much money to play with last year where Maine only lost J. Swavely, O'Conner, and Anthoine for skaters. Hopefully Red doesn't bring Norman back for a fifth year and also moves Campbell along and replaces them with guys who are productive. A lot of his recruits are so young it is going to be five years or so before we know if they are any good. Looking back I think the school made a huge mistake taking so long to hire a coach. Red should have been in place six weeks earlier than when he was hired. Why they took so long is beyond me.
          You meant Jimmy, right?
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

But they keep making stupid defensive mistakes, things you learn not to do in peewee. And keep making them, game after game. And that's on coaching. Either he can't teach them the right way, or they've deliberately tuned him out. And if they've tuned him out, then there's no way Red's gonna be able to right this mess.

I can understand losing because the talent level isn't quite there. But they should be playing solid, fundamentally sound hockey, if he's gonna have them on the path to getting better. And they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              He's a Hobby Pilot.
              Maine doesn't get as much out of their coaching staff as other teams do.

Comment

A road win! Party like it's 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                  A road win! Party like it's 1999!
                  It's been tough to watch or even check the scoreboard this year. Credit the guys for coming back and picking themselves up after finding a way to lose again last night. What has puzzled me for awhile is why Shore is playing with guys who are healthy scratches several times? Tonight he skated with Leen and Swavely and wow 2 points and Swavely wakes up too!

Also credit to Morris, guy was probably as rusty as the tin man!

It has been a very disappointing season. Saw them lead BU into the 3rd and then lose in OT, Lead Lowell into the 3rd and lose in OT, and lead UNH after 2 and get smoked in the 3rd! Does Maine miss Lomberg, yes on the first line! But many of the problems are on D. Man I hope they can pick up a few and build some confidence, but next week Lowell and BC are in town so road gets no easier.

What did I miss regarding Vesey being out this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                    It's been tough to watch or even check the scoreboard this year. Credit the guys for coming back and picking themselves up after finding a way to lose again last night. What has puzzled me for awhile is why Shore is playing with guys who are healthy scratches several times? Tonight he skated with Leen and Swavely and wow 2 points and Swavely wakes up too!

Also credit to Morris, guy was probably as rusty as the tin man!

It has been a very disappointing season. Saw them lead BU into the 3rd and then lose in OT, Lead Lowell into the 3rd and lose in OT, and lead UNH after 2 and get smoked in the 3rd! Does Maine miss Lomberg, yes on the first line! But many of the problems are on D. Man I hope they can pick up a few and build some confidence, but next week Lowell and BC are in town so road gets no easier.

What did I miss regarding Vesey being out this weekend?
                    Vesey is hurt from what I've heard. Red lets little slip in injury dept so who knows if true or not.

Good win on the road. I have the same questions as to why Red has Shore With Tegeler and merchant for some of the games. He must see something in practice? maybe he'll stick with Swavely and Leen around Shore for awhile?
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

A real Welcomed Win and Shutout on the Road last night @ UMass...next weekend will be a big test on how they fare versus the top teams of Hockey East,UML Friday night & BC on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I figure he's just trying to find some magic somewhere. Last night he went back to the tried and true. I've been wanting Swavely back on that top line for months now.

Comment

Now just put Brown with Vesey and Pec, and Lacroix with Byron and Morgan, and watch the fireworks happen.

Comment

The D scored 4 out of the 5 goals scored this weekend!

Comment

Reports are that with Maine alumnus Jimmy Howard on IR he will be replaced at the NHL All-Star Game by Maine alum Scott Darling.

Comment

The Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week is Maine's Matt Morris.

Comment

Working...
                                X