X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    This is great of Red to do, but I don't like what it says structurally about our athletic program.

1. UMaine's athletic department is flat broke. Having the head coach have to give back 5% of his salary just to get to a baseline of spending is not a good thing. If UMaine isn't fully funding hockey the way they should, what ARE they fully funding?

2. We aren't paying coaches enough. I have no idea why, but I clicked on the front page article about UMD's women's coach not being retained. She was making more than Red. For coaching a WOMEN'S program. Tough to win if you aren't going to shell out for your coaches.

3. Which leads me to my annual statement that Maine needs to completely reconfigure its sports offerings. I'd love to drop football, but with the modest success they've had in the JV leagues lately, I realize that isn't going to happen.
    1. Maine got hooked on selling out Alfond Arena 5K+ for 18 games every season. That doesn't happen anymore hence the shortfall. Thank-you Blake James. That weasel had no clue how to run this program.

2. Maine has never been able to pay their coaches........nothing to see here move along.

3. Maine cut men's soccer and volleyball a while ago. They can't and won't cut anything else.

It's important to note that Maine has many key benefactors and donors.......they have helped keep the program afloat. Maine can do some things to increase revenue......including having competitive basketball programs. Men's basketball is a growth sport at Maine......they get to a point where they can draw 3K...4K.......that will be a nice revenue generator down at the CIC that will help all sports at Maine.

Comment

BU dropped football ages ago and it worked out just fine for them. Not suggesting UMaine should drop football, but Cosgrove's get out of jail free card should be on a short leash if every other season is 5-6

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
        BU dropped football ages ago and it worked out just fine for them. Not suggesting UMaine should drop football, but Cosgrove's get out of jail free card should be on a short leash if every other season is 5-6
        Maine can't drop any further programs and still remain a member of the NCAA. They require 15 sports programs and Maine has 15. Maine would have to add varsity lacrosse or something else to make up for the loss of football. I can't really see the school ever dropping football. Nothing else makes sense to drop. The swim teams should still be fully funded by that generous donation the Kings made when I was there, the field hockey team is usually nationally ranked and the track/field/X-C teams have had some success...and quite frankly cutting those teams would A) not save much money and B) reduce chances for Maine kids to receive a college education which is why the school exists in the first place.

Comment

Cut football and add women's naked badminton. So simple.
          sure why not

Comment

Sometimes AB is a genius, sometimes he's a blithering idiot.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Maine can't drop any further programs and still remain a member of the NCAA. They require 15 sports programs and Maine has 15. Maine would have to add varsity lacrosse or something else to make up for the loss of football. I can't really see the school ever dropping football. Nothing else makes sense to drop. The swim teams should still be fully funded by that generous donation the Kings made when I was there, the field hockey team is usually nationally ranked and the track/field/X-C teams have had some success...and quite frankly cutting those teams would A) not save much money and B) reduce chances for Maine kids to receive a college education which is why the school exists in the first place.
              Drop football, restart the soccer program.

Comment

Drop football, restart the soccer program.
                That'll really endear the Alfond family to UMaine.

Ehh.....why not? We already drove Stephen King away.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                  Lomberg is apparently transferring to Miami
                  Josh Henke is going to Lake Superior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Josh Henke is going to Lake Superior.
                    Good for Josh, another sign that Orono is alot like lake state
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Good for Josh, another sign that Orono is alot like lake state
                      Whitehead recruit?

Comment

If UMaine isn't fully funding hockey the way they should, what ARE they fully funding?

Absolutely nothing. Academic or athletic or basic facilities maintenance.

Of course the mouth breathing majority of voters have a fit about any funding increase to the U. The System is too large for the number of students in state + the number they can attract from out of state. Rather than spreading the cuts around so no one has the funding they need, they should be closing at least one campus (probably at least two or three) and growing the research programs at UMaine with larger and more modern laboratory spaces and increased faculty members in biological sciences, computer science, and engineering. Otherwise Maine really is a lost cause economically.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          Absolutely nothing. Academic or athletic or basic facilities maintenance.

Of course the mouth breathing majority of voters have a fit about any funding increase to the U. The System is too large for the number of students in state + the number they can attract from out of state. Rather than spreading the cuts around so no one has the funding they need, they should be closing at least one campus (probably at least two or three) and growing the research programs at UMaine with larger and more modern laboratory spaces and increased faculty members in biological sciences, computer science, and engineering. Otherwise Maine really is a lost cause economically.
                          To defend the taxpayers, how much hire than 8% can you realistically go? It's definitely a turn-off to those looking to move to Maine. The second part of your post is spot on. The system needs to reallocate its resources. It's shocking how bad the system has been mismanaged in the last 10 years.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

This is sad, I heard that during TIMMAY'S last year, kids had to borrow sticks from each other. The money simply isn't there
                            Last edited by Mac910; 12-19-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                              Red Gendron is paid $205,000 per year.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/2...-hockey-coach/
                              He received a raise. Now receiving $209,100.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac910 View Post
                                This is sad, I heard that during TIMMAY'S last year, kids had to borrow sticks from each other. The money simply isn't there
                                I heard that they had to eat peanut butter and jelly too.

Comment

Working...
                                X