X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by all bear View Post
    Ultimately, its the guys coming into the program now like Hamilton , Hayes, Pecararo, Romeo, Vesey ,etc who have the opportunity and responsibility, for that matter, to begin the resurrection of a marquee program from a near ash heap. Maybe a bit harsh, but no doubt we were struggling a few years ago. I believe Red is recruiting the right people to get this done; been very impressed with his recruits so far. So as they reestablish the pride in this program through good solid winning hockey, I believe the fans will come back in droves and keep coming back. But we have to continue winning 75% + of homes games and win on the road ...crucial. If we do that, we can be consistently in Beantown and make regular NCAA appearances. We can make Alford once again the most electric college hockey atmosphere and experience in all of college hockey. We know this because we have experienced it before and know what it takes. If and when we make that step, ticket prices become almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Ps... and if this happens, I might bum someone's tickets for a weekend and drive all the way up there to see them play Sokol Kiev or some other interesting team
    Those guys can't get the paper mills to open back up or resurrect other jobs that have been lost in recent times. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot of different reasons attendance isn't what it used to be and there is no silver bullet. Maine winning and lower ticket prices would surely help, but I'm not sure even with both of those things in place the Alfond will ever be like it was when Shawn was alive.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Ultimately, its the guys coming into the program now like Hamilton , Hayes, Pecararo, Romeo, Vesey ,etc who have the opportunity and responsibility, for that matter, to begin the resurrection of a marquee program from a near ash heap. Maybe a bit harsh, but no doubt we were struggling a few years ago. I believe Red is recruiting the right people to get this done; been very impressed with his recruits so far. So as they reestablish the pride in this program through good solid winning hockey, I believe the fans will come back in droves and keep coming back. But we have to continue winning 75% + of homes games and win on the road ...crucial. If we do that, we can be consistently in Beantown and make regular NCAA appearances. We can make Alford once again the most electric college hockey atmosphere and experience in all of college hockey. We know this because we have experienced it before and know what it takes. If and when we make that step, ticket prices become almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Ps... and if this happens, I might bum someone's tickets for a weekend and drive all the way up there to see them play Sokol Kiev or some other interesting team
      When I was talking about starting at the top, I wasn't referring to the coach's position. He's a coach and that's what he should do, coach the team. If he sucks, fire him and get a better one.

But you all may be right. Just win and things will fix themselves. I don't think so, I think it's bigger than that, but time will tell.
      FWIW, we won't mind you getting as high as 2nd fiddle.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Those guys can't get the paper mills to open back up or resurrect other jobs that have been lost in recent times. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot of different reasons attendance isn't what it used to be and there is no silver bullet. Maine winning and lower ticket prices would surely help, but I'm not sure even with both of those things in place the Alfond will ever be like it was when Shawn was alive.
        Nobody knows for sure, but surely that area up dere is more than paper mills and shoe factories. If not then there's a problem, and maybe they really should move the main campus to Portland.. When it all started to become the thing to do, it was the local business owners who were on the cutting edge of this phenomenon... I knew a few of them. When you get the local leaders creating a buzz, others listen and want to become part of it and it all snowballs. Can lightning strike twice? Who knows, but I believe sound, fundamental hockey with a winning tradition as Maine has can be easily sustainable , especially with our proximity to New Brunswick and Québec and excellent reputation in places like Minnesota.
        Last edited by all bear; 11-02-2014, 02:54 PM.
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          When I was talking about starting at the top, I wasn't referring to the coach's position. He's a coach and that's what he should do, coach the team. If he sucks, fire him and get a better one.

But you all may be right. Just win and things will fix themselves. I don't think so, I think it's bigger than that, but time will tell.
          FWIW, we won't mind you getting as high as 2nd fiddle.
          Yeah, in the future it would suck to be second fiddle to the evil red army team down Commonwealth Ave after Jewry retires or dies of old age.
          Last edited by all bear; 11-02-2014, 03:06 PM.
          sure why not

Comment

Yeah, in the future it would suck to be second fiddle to the evil red army team down Commonwealth Ave after Jewry retires or dies of old age.

Lol a lot of Maine fans are sick of JerWee

Comment

Hope some of you guys are reading the Northeastern thread.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                Of course you can. Strive for mediocrity... but I thought that's what everyone is beeatching about.
                Don't mind fan boy newbie. You are on the $$$ with everything you've posted. Everyone can say this that and another thing. Bottom line is...it's not freaking rocket science how to properly market a product.....be it a widget or Maine Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  Hope some of you guys are reading the Northeastern thread.

I got a laugh out of it

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                    Lol a lot of Maine fans are sick of Jerry
                    and a lot of Maine fans really respect the man and what he has done (it is the administration that allows the recruiting practices, so that is not on him)

that all said. I wish some of you could have gone to Lowell games when it was one of the Alfond South rinks... when the Maine fans outnumbered the Lowell fans at least 20 to 1 (many of the lowell fans in attendance had TECH sweaters on... Lowell TECH). Blaise Macdonald was smart (or maybe it was the administration inlcluding Meehan), but Blaise went to middle schools and elementary schools and handed out free tickets. lots of piles of free tickets.

The place never completely filled up during the regular season (not back then), but the Tsongas was crawling with kids who didn't care if it was hockey or basketball in the middle, they were with their friends and they were eating fried dough and drinking sodas. Lots of those little kids are now lowell hockey fans.

suppose it might be nice when the average age fan of Umaine is not BobF or DWollstadt or me? many season ticket holders are having to decide if they want to leave the old folks home for the night to see the game or if they just wanna stay in and stay warm, or they've passed on.

Maine needs youth in the stands and frenzied, excited, LOUD fans

Comment

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                      and a lot of Maine fans really respect the man and what he has done (it is the administration that allows the recruiting practices, so that is not on him)

that all said. I wish some of you could have gone to Lowell games when it was one of the Alfond South rinks... when the Maine fans outnumbered the Lowell fans at least 20 to 1 (many of the lowell fans in attendance had TECH sweaters on... Lowell TECH). Blaise Macdonald was smart (or maybe it was the administration inlcluding Meehan), but Blaise went to middle schools and elementary schools and handed out free tickets. lots of piles of free tickets.

The place never completely filled up during the regular season (not back then), but the Tsongas was crawling with kids who didn't care if it was hockey or basketball in the middle, they were with their friends and they were eating fried dough and drinking sodas. Lots of those little kids are now lowell hockey fans.

suppose it might be nice when the average age fan of Umaine is not BobF or DWollstadt or me? many season ticket holders are having to decide if they want to leave the old folks home for the night to see the game or if they just wanna stay in and stay warm, or they've passed on.

I'm sure Dana has had a lot to do with it as well. It's sad that Maine would never hire someone with his kind of profile in a million years.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

On to our first conference road series at the Gut. Gonna give the boys a split here. Still have a hard time believing UVM is BU or Minnesota or Union good, but the Gut is a tough barn to play in. I think we can get 2 points out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post

Hey watch those age posts!!! As a Class of '83 have seen the entire history of U. Maine Hockey. Lots of lows before the crazy highs we experienced in the 90's. Over the last few years spoke until I was blue in the face on some of the issues we face and I like the administration hung on to Tim too long. Like we are seeing from Red, but unless he gets some money and some competent people in the administration playing a supporting role I am concerned we will never get back to being an annual power.

Will get my first look at them in person at the Tsongas in a few weeks, and yeah Maine fans used to own that place. Kudos to Lowell on what they have built!

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                            that all said. I wish some of you could have gone to Lowell games when it was one of the Alfond South rinks... when the Maine fans outnumbered the Lowell fans at least 20 to 1
                            I can relate, it used to be Whittemore South also.
                            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Liam Pecararo is Hockey East's Rookie of the Week.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...411/nov3wr.php

Comment

I guess that the lack of interest in this team on this board reflects that lack of interest at the gate.......weird considering the weekend sweep. Seems like bad news gets people going on here more than good news.....sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X