This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Dare I say we're becoming the Lake Superior of the East Coast?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      The Lomberg stuff went on over the summer, there's no excuse for that to be hanging over the heads of the current players. If they're not mentally tough enough to get over it and play hockey then there was never any hope for 'em. I thought one of the positives of Red would be an instillation of that mental toughness and it looks like this group is going in reverse mentally. I thought one of the positives coming into Year 2 would be a full year under Red's conditioning program, and that's not showing up either. I don't know what to think at this point.
      my comment on the adminstration tacking time onto the suspension is that it is a clear indication that the kangaroo courts do not appreciate any input from lawyers or those who know the law.

Dershowitz was recently quoted saying something like it is a sad day that innocence is no longer a defence for the accused on college campuses.

I have a feeling that the Supreme court is going to weigh in on this and tell public schools that because they are state actors, they MUST adhere to the Constutution and the accused will have to be given due process, and that the judges of the kangaroo courts need to be trained in the law, not just be an academician who lives and breaths ivory tower liberalism. In the real world a guy has a right to defend himself against a death threat from a knife weilding drunk, and that includes kicks to the head. (I cannot be the only one who finds it odd that there was no criminal conviction, yet the university took drastic measures in saying that what we do is a civil matter and we can do that)

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
        Something has to be up with Shore...he looks a couple of steps slower. Maybe Red needs to make these guys run after a game sometime
        or maybe he needs to have the penatly box attendant shut the **** door so it does not take shore out in an exhibition game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
          Dare I say we're becoming the Lake Superior of the East Coast?
          You can say but it's been said on here for 8 or 9 years
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
            my comment on the adminstration tacking time onto the suspension is that it is a clear indication that the kangaroo courts do not appreciate any input from lawyers or those who know the law.

Dershowitz was recently quoted saying something like it is a sad day that innocence is no longer a defence for the accused on college campuses.

I have a feeling that the Supreme court is going to weigh in on this and tell public schools that because they are state actors, they MUST adhere to the Constutution and the accused will have to be given due process, and that the judges of the kangaroo courts need to be trained in the law, not just be an academician who lives and breaths ivory tower liberalism. In the real world a guy has a right to defend himself against a death threat from a knife weilding drunk, and that includes kicks to the head. (I cannot be the only one who finds it odd that there was no criminal conviction, yet the university took drastic measures in saying that what we do is a civil matter and we can do that)
            I agree entirely on the principals of fairness in adjudication at colleges.

That said, the team has to bear down and play. Lomberg or no Lomberg they're stinking out the joint, to borrow from Claude Julien

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post

If Maine decided they wanted him gone in April, kicked him out, and then told us why I think most of us could have lived with it. But to lead other teammates, coaches, and fans on all summer and say that the outcome of legal proceedings would play a part in determining his fate when administration had already decided it is what bothers me, as I'm sure it does other people as well. Beyond the punishment aspect the school does have a duty to provide a safe campus and if they think someone is a danger than they are quite right in removing that person. Transparency is extremely important in cases like this. My opinion is that the school banked on Lomberg leaving on his own and the school could present it that they never really made any decisions on his punishment. Obviously things didn't turn out that way and they were made to look incredibly foolish. Hopefully the lesson has been learned and things are handled above board next time round.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Maine must be the home of never ending excuses........Whitehead, Lomberg, kangaroo courts......blah blah blah. The state is the same way......."we're too far from everything"......"we're too cold"......."we're too poor."......weh weh weh. Maine is such a defeatist place now.......seems to have gotten worse over the past decade which is ironic since Maine is now more "connected" than ever to the rest of the country and world.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  If Maine decided they wanted him gone in April, kicked him out, and then told us why I think most of us could have lived with it. But to lead other teammates, coaches, and fans on all summer and say that the outcome of legal proceedings would play a part in determining his fate when administration had already decided it is what bothers me, as I'm sure it does other people as well. Beyond the punishment aspect the school does have a duty to provide a safe campus and if they think someone is a danger than they are quite right in removing that person. Transparency is extremely important in cases like this. My opinion is that the school banked on Lomberg leaving on his own and the school could present it that they never really made any decisions on his punishment. Obviously things didn't turn out that way and they were made to look incredibly foolish. Hopefully the lesson has been learned and things are handled above board next time round.
                  I would help if UMaine didn't have a revolving door of administrators.......and if anyone expects any decisions out of UM during the summer.....they're foolish. If you don't get any answers by the end of May........see you in September!

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                    I would help if UMaine didn't have a revolving door of administrators.......and if anyone expects any decisions out of UM during the summer.....they're foolish. If you don't get any answers by the end of May........see you in September!
                    To be fair to the administration, he is legally entitled to an appeals process. The administration of the University had decided his fate by the Spring. Lomberg appealed, which means he gets a full hearing in front of the conduct code committee (involving students, faculty and staff). I would imagine it was hard to find student members of the committee outside of the school year, meaning that the appeal couldn't be heard until they returned to campus in August/September.

People keep missing the point that the appeal was heard by at least two of his peers, at least two professors and likely a staff member. It wasn't just the deans sitting around and saying "he's got to go." He had a chance to plead his case in front of non-administrators and they agreed with the punishment. Which doesn't always happen.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      To be fair to the administration, he is legally entitled to an appeals process. The administration of the University had decided his fate by the Spring. Lomberg appealed, which means he gets a full hearing in front of the conduct code committee (involving students, faculty and staff). I would imagine it was hard to find student members of the committee outside of the school year, meaning that the appeal couldn't be heard until they returned to campus in August/September.

People keep missing the point that the appeal was heard by at least two of his peers, at least two professors and likely a staff member. It wasn't just the deans sitting around and saying "he's got to go." He had a chance to plead his case in front of non-administrators and they agreed with the punishment. Which doesn't always happen.
                      Whoa whoa whoa. Don't bring facts into this discussion. The residents of Ferguson Maine were going strong with the Lomberg had his hands up argument.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

Re-read the stories over the summer in the BDN. It's claimed his hearing would be after the judicial process played out when it happened right after the incident.

I don't think anyone here knows enought about the people listening to his appeal to determine it's fairness. I'm sure there are plenty of students who hate the hockey team and would be happy to kick someone from it off campus.

Comment

I appreciate a good discussion but as far as the hockey team is concerned once they learned Lomberg was kicked to the curb it should have been over in their minds. He ain't walking thru that door, he is history. Not having Ryan has hurt the team, it hasn't made it stink the place up. It hasn't made the D look pathetic nearly every game. It hasn't made the goalies look like freshman. etc etc
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I don't think anyone here knows enought about the people listening to his appeal to determine it's fairness. I'm sure there are plenty of students who hate the hockey team and would be happy to kick someone from it off campus.
                            Hands up, don't shoot!!!
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Hands up, don't shoot!!!
                              If only someone with your intellect and sense of fairness could have been in charge of proceedings!

Comment

Re-read the stories over the summer in the BDN. It's claimed his hearing would be after the judicial process played out when it happened right after the incident.

"Hate" is a mighty strong word. Maybe the fragile psyche of this team is due to all of this "hatred" from the student body, no?

Good grief...........

Comment

Working...
                                X