Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
    A QUESTION
    On yale's second goal player was offsides (at least appeared to be). Refs reviewed call and then announced it was overturned. Then they reviewed further and said it was a goal. What is the rule here? Maybe they couldn't use the video that clearly showed offsides? Or is it not reviewable anymore (?only in postseason). Anyone have explanation.
    Sure, I'll give it a try.

The replay clearly showed that the Yale skater full crossed the blue line (just) before receiving the pass, so thus on a conventional zone penetration he'd be offside. Here is the thing, though, the pass came from the Harvard player's (Everson) possession and stick. Though he was being harassed at the time, it was clearly a puck that was passed intentionally by Harvard into its own defensive zone and then simply intercepted by the Yale attacker. As such I don't think it is any different than the usual defender to defender pass that is intercepted by a forechecking opponent within the defensive zone. It happened to involve the blue line, but it wasn't a Yale pass that brought it in. It was the replay review that I think made it clear the pass came from Harvard.

Here is a line from the rule book, page 72.

"If a player legal carries or passes the puck back into his or her defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in that defending zone, the offside is ignored and play permitted to continue."

I can't find where it specifically addresses an interception of the defender's pass back across his own blue line.
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 01-11-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Crimson. But my bigger question is when the NCAA decided that offside calls were reviewable at all. And if they are, why did the reviewer not know the rule? Are they only reviewable when they lead to a goal? Or can we go back to any offside not called after any stoppage of play? (FWIW, it's my understanding that the dispute arose as to whether Everson put the puck back himself or whether a Yale player gave the impetus.)

[Edit: to answer my own question, the video replay rule changed this year. Now it states: Video can be used "to determine if a goal was scored as a result of an offside play. The opportunity for review exists during the time the puck entered the attacking zone illegally as a result of the offside infraction and until the puck leaves the offending team’s attacking zone." That still doesn't explain why they changed their minds.]
      Last edited by goblue78; 01-11-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
        Great game by Yale last night. Harvard was missing several key players and this was their first game since break. I suspect they don't make same scheduling mistake next year. Yale moved up nicely in pair wise although loss to NU hurts as it was a game we should have one
        and may haunt team come post season selection.

A QUESTION
        On yale's second goal player was offsides (at least appeared to be). Refs reviewed call and then announced it was overturned. Then they reviewed further and said it was a goal. What is the rule here? Maybe they couldn't use the video that clearly showed offsides? Or is it not reviewable anymore (?only in postseason). Anyone have explanation.
        Yeah, we can beat you guys in football but hockey seems to be a different animal altogether. One of these days we'll figure out a way to beat you in hockey. Hopefully this season.

If offsides plays were open to review, we would be at the rink all night. And I'm not crazy about the hybrid icings either because some of them are really open to interpretation. It is so inconsistent. The way I saw the Everson play is that Max thought Tyler Moy was back inside the Harvard zone and so he back passed without looking. The Yale player was not required to come out and re-enter the zone to accept the pass because another Yale player didn't make the original pass.

Maybe that is too much information. I'm get a popsicle headache every time rules are questioned and we have to pull out official interpretations. Yale beat us every which way from the drop of the puck to start the game. We have to figure out a way to get the jump first and keep the pressure on with every shift.

Comment

This team really revolves around Lyon. They played same game vs. Union & lost. Only game where they were totally flat was StL. Despite the fact that they have speed, ability, a couple of the goals they scored vs. Harvard were of the (inexplicably) Charmin variety - I was sitting upstairs behind Harvard goal & couldn't BELIEVE they went in. And the D, while playing well, still gives up too many good chances. Either Lyon bails them out, or they lose. This is a good team and they get NO respect (see blog where Owen picked Harvard, now Brown...next Princeton I'm sure), but they're not there yet. At least to my eyes (granted, at my age, I don't see as well as I used to...:-) But, I'm hopeful. My son at Mich & I see a lot of the same in them esp. with last weekend's sweep vs. Minny.

Comment

Glad to get out of Rhode Island with a win. Brown always gives Yale trouble, especially in Providence. Lyon and the defense solid as usual. Same two teams tomorrow in New Haven.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog10jw View Post
              Glad to get out of Rhode Island with a win. Brown always gives Yale trouble, especially in Providence. Lyon and the defense solid as usual. Same two teams tomorrow in New Haven.
              First win at Meehan since 2009! Although Yale outplayed Brown, it was a nail biter to say the least. Lyon just keeps getting better. The glove save on the breakaway was a beaut. No letdown at Ingalls!
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Yes -agreed. Again, you just hope that this doesn't become "We have Lyon back there to bail us out" kinda team. But they played well tonight. Good to see Yale win key face offs, puck battles. But they need to light the lamp. Not the fire wagon teams of last several years, but they are putting some rubber on the net - just not a lot of Grade A chances - yet (hopefully). Cautiously optimistic with this group.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale86 View Post
                  Yes -agreed. Again, you just hope that this doesn't become "We have Lyon back there to bail us out" kinda team. But they played well tonight. Good to see Yale win key face offs, puck battles. But they need to light the lamp. Not the fire wagon teams of last several years, but they are putting some rubber on the net - just not a lot of Grade A chances - yet (hopefully). Cautiously optimistic with this group.
                  Yale also needs Hayden to wake up, very poor play since he returned from World Juniors. The passing and scoring chances on the power play have improved, but Yale games are not penalty fests and they can't rely on man advantages to win games anymore. The discipline of the team as far as penalties taken has been excellent though.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Yale also needs Hayden to wake up, very poor play since he returned from World Juniors. The passing and scoring chances on the power play have improved, but Yale games are not penalty fests and they can't rely on man advantages to win games anymore. The discipline of the team as far as penalties taken has been excellent though.
                    On a slight tangent, your penalty killing last night was really impressive. Half of it was Brown's own ineptitude, but at times, we couldn't even get the puck back in OUR zone on our own power plays. It was a clinic put on by Yale.

This certainly isn't like the offensively gifted Yale teams of the past few years, but they sure can forecheck.

Comment

Yes- the discipline is what has stood out for this team. World Juniors is a grind. Even Coach admitted this. Hayden will bounce back - hopefully tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                        On a slight tangent, your penalty killing last night was really impressive. Half of it was Brown's own ineptitude, but at times, we couldn't even get the puck back in OUR zone on our own power plays. It was a clinic put on by Yale.

This certainly isn't like the offensively gifted Yale teams of the past few years, but they sure can forecheck.
                        No at all. Nice to see some thoughtful analysis, mutual respect. I think Brown has / had a pretty good nucleus at the start of this year. Wonder why they're underperforming - IMHO of course. I mean, these are college kids we're talking about here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Yale86 View Post
                          No at all. Nice to see some thoughtful analysis, mutual respect. I think Brown has / had a pretty good nucleus at the start of this year. Wonder why they're underperforming - IMHO of course. I mean, these are college kids we're talking about here...
                          Most of us are chalking it up to the extraordinary amount of freshmen- at one point, we had 8 in our lineup. Most of them are straight out of prep school, too, so they're 18 and 19, instead of 20 or 21. Makes a big difference! There's lot of talent on the roster- three of the freshmen are NHL draft picks. They just need to put it together.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            Most of us are chalking it up to the extraordinary amount of freshmen- at one point, we had 8 in our lineup. Most of them are straight out of prep school, too, so they're 18 and 19, instead of 20 or 21. Makes a big difference! There's lot of talent on the roster- three of the freshmen are NHL draft picks. They just need to put it together.
                            Yeah - been there. I think you guys are in good position for the future. @LTsatch - Hayden *2 tonight. Gave my tix to my Dad tonight - turns 80 this week. Nice to see them light the lamp for his birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by Yale86 View Post
                              Yeah - been there. I think you guys are in good position for the future. @LTsatch - Hayden *2 tonight. Gave my tix to my Dad tonight - turns 80 this week. Nice to see them light the lamp for his birthday!
                              Hayden had a much better jump in his game tonight, his line totally outplayed Brown on every shift. Nice to see Yale break out of the offensive slump, great all around team effort. I was just looking at the remaining schedule and every game left is huge, I f they can go .750 down the stretch, i will consider that quite an accomplishment. Yale remains alone at #10 in the pairwise.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Hayden had a much better jump in his game tonight, his line totally outplayed Brown on every shift. Nice to see Yale break out of the offensive slump, great all around team effort. I was just looking at the remaining schedule and every game left is huge, I f they can go .750 down the stretch, i will consider that quite an accomplishment. Yale remains alone at #10 in the pairwise.
                                20 wins gets them where they want to go. 6-6 gets them to 17. Then 2 rounds in ECAC. Still you'd like them to go 8-4, first round bye, trip to Albany. 9-3 as you suggest probably means a shot at Cleary. Win the tourney, they're a 1 seed. It's all in front of them. Still, whatever the outcome I like this team - the effort, the discipline, etc. Go Blue!

Comment

Working...
                                X