UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Will a kid work 'harder'/develop different before or after a commitment?.......hmmmm.......that is a question for all of the younger commits out there.
    Also without a 'gentlemen's agreement' how does it benefit/protect the school? Will the academic dynamic of the school change in the next (blank) number of years to make the athlete decommit?

Things I wonder during afternoon coffee.....might be a somewhat broken system....

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
      Will a kid work 'harder'/develop different before or after a commitment?.......hmmmm.......that is a question for all of the younger commits out there.
      Also without a 'gentlemen's agreement' how does it benefit/protect the school? Will the academic dynamic of the school change in the next (blank) number of years to make the athlete decommit?

Things I wonder during afternoon coffee.....might be a somewhat broken system....
      Overall, I think the current system works pretty well. The kids put a lot of time and effort into figuring out where they want to go, and they have the integrity not to relax or rest on their laurals. After all, they have a burning passion for their sport, which is how they got to where they are. My neice, who's an '01, just committed to a top D1 soccer school. Over the last year (especially the last 6 months), my brother, his wife, and neice have traveled the country visiting prospective schools. They toured schools and facilities and talked at length with coaches and current players. At three or so top choices, my neice talked on the phone with assistant/associate coaches more than twenty times. She finally committed about a month ago and knows in her heart that the school is the absolute best one for her. She's wildly excited and can't wait to play soccer there and win a national championship. In the meantime, she will work her little butt off to become as good as she can possibly be. I can't see her ever not doing that or de-committing and going somewhere else.

Comment

That is reassuring! Congratulations to her!
        I guess that the kids are driven, of course. I still wonder if some commit just because they are 'wanted' at an early age and they are not going through that process that your niece did. That seems like a vital part of the system. Traveling and dissecting the schools culture and coaches/professors. I also would like to think that there still is an 'agreement' to basically not recruit these committed kids. I assume the reason they decommit and change programs are not just on a whim. Hopefully they found a school that fits them better or their heart wasnt into furthering their education at all. (jump to OHL/WHL/ other league)

Excited more and more everyday to see where the program is heading!

Comment

I guess there will be a bunch of guys competing for playing time.
          At last count, I think there are 19 forwards and 9-10 dmen!
          Getting the itch to scribble down some possible line combos with all that size/skill. (and 76% of goals coming back!)
          Nobody have any ideas about line combinations and d pairings?

Comment

Here is a stab after looking back at last years combos. Not sure which freshmen play center either.

Mario-Bradley-Shaw (will get lots of minutes...)
            Coughlin-Turk-Irwin (some size and early look at top freshman)
            Petruzzelli-Stenerson-O'neil (size and speed?)
            Bowen-Darrar-J.Priv (again size and speed with Gunnery kids together)
            Forgione-Puffer-Gernhofer/Blanleil? (who knows here?)
            rest of F's are a crapshoot?

A.Priv-Hamilton
            Pattyn-Lee
            Senkbeil-Ori
            Phillips-Kearley
            Muscoby-Ferguson

or nothing like this...........we'll see!

Comment

Here is a stab after looking back at last years combos. Not sure which freshmen play center either.

Mario-Bradley-Shaw (will get lots of minutes...)
              Coughlin-Turk-Irwin (some size and early look at top freshman)
              Petruzzelli-Stenerson-O'neil (size and speed?)
              Bowen-Darrar-J.Priv (again size and speed with Gunnery kids together)
              Forgione-Puffer-Gernhofer/Blanleil? (who knows here?)
              rest of F's are a crapshoot?

A.Priv-Hamilton
              Pattyn-Lee
              Senkbeil-Ori
              Phillips-Kearley
              Muscoby-Ferguson

or nothing like this...........we'll see!
              Thanks.....I see it as:

Puskarich - Bradley - Shaw
              Coughlin - Turk - Irwin
              Petruzelli - J. Privittera - O'Neil
              Bowen - Darrar - McKinney
              Blanleil - Stenerson - Gernhofer

The rest of the forwards are scrounging for ice time.

A. Priviterra - Pattyn
              Abramson - Hamilton
              These are the top four d and it could be Pattyn and Hamilton and Abramson and Priviterra
              Phillips - Ferguson

Muscoby, Kearley, Lee slotted in and out of the third pairing with Phillips getting some forward time on lines 3 and 4 if those guys don't get it done.

Santaguida will get the majority of ice. Munson will have to be lights out in practice.

Thoughts?

Comment

A lot of this makes sense to me...my only add is that I think the staff's going to try to get Phillips more ice time than 4th D, whether playing him as forward or D.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                  Thanks.....I see it as:

Puskarich - Bradley - Shaw
                  Coughlin - Turk - Irwin
                  Petruzelli - J. Privittera - O'Neil
                  Bowen - Darrar - McKinney
                  Blanleil - Stenerson - Gernhofer

The rest of the forwards are scrounging for ice time.

A. Priviterra - Pattyn
                  Abramson - Hamilton
                  These are the top four d and it could be Pattyn and Hamilton and Abramson and Priviterra
                  Phillips - Ferguson

Muscoby, Kearley, Lee slotted in and out of the third pairing with Phillips getting some forward time on lines 3 and 4 if those guys don't get it done.

Santaguida will get the majority of ice. Munson will have to be lights out in practice.

Thoughts?
                  I'm expecting there to be some line "anchors".

Shaw - Size line. Likely adders would be Coughlin, Irwin, and Senkbeil. Skilled guys that the other team isn't going to want to play against.

Mario - Skill Line. Most likely playing paired with Bradly. 3rd spot is open in my mind and Bradley moves around a bit in the lineup, he seems more versatile. Really need to see who steps up and likely depends on the chemistry of the "size line".

Turk - Shutdown line. Don't overlook the criticality of role players. Turk is going to be as important as anybody this year leading the line that's going to be expected to keep the other team's top lines off the scoreboard. Plug in the guys usually see him with. I'd like to see a return of Forg.

4th line for sparc based on who's impressing the coaches most in practice. I expect there to be a lot of competition for playing time / gotta earn your spot on forward this year for sure.

Defence - interested to see how this plays out. I expect to see a lot of Alexx on the PP and interested to see who he gets paired with. Ori is going to log lots more minutes. I'd like to see Phillis take on a more of a skill role, likely on the PP but he's going to need better chemistry. I would be willing to bet he's put in some serious work in the offseason to be ready to step up his contributions to the team / playing time. There is going to be more opportunity for D guys to step up.

Also interested to see the impacts of Pattyn's leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
                    I'm expecting there to be some line "anchors".

Shaw - Size line. Likely adders would be Coughlin, Irwin, and Senkbeil. Skilled guys that the other team isn't going to want to play against.

Mario - Skill Line. Most likely playing paired with Bradly. 3rd spot is open in my mind and Bradley moves around a bit in the lineup, he seems more versatile. Really need to see who steps up and likely depends on the chemistry of the "size line".

Turk - Shutdown line. Don't overlook the criticality of role players. Turk is going to be as important as anybody this year leading the line that's going to be expected to keep the other team's top lines off the scoreboard. Plug in the guys usually see him with. I'd like to see a return of Forg.

4th line for sparc based on who's impressing the coaches most in practice. I expect there to be a lot of competition for playing time / gotta earn your spot on forward this year for sure.

Defence - interested to see how this plays out. I expect to see a lot of Alexx on the PP and interested to see who he gets paired with. Ori is going to log lots more minutes. I'd like to see Phillis take on a more of a skill role, likely on the PP but he's going to need better chemistry. I would be willing to bet he's put in some serious work in the offseason to be ready to step up his contributions to the team / playing time. There is going to be more opportunity for D guys to step up.

Also interested to see the impacts of Pattyn's leadership.
                    You may very well be correct.

On d, I think that Abramson has to soak up a lot of minutes and be a real physical force out there. There may not be a tougher kid in D1 hockey. Getting invited to the Minnesota Wild camp was probably good for him. As for Phillips, I hope he ups his game as he got bumped from the defence come playoff time as I assume the coaches did not have confidence in him. Playing him at forward made use of his offensive skills and was good to see him dress. What the plans are this year, who knows.

Your thoughts on the forward combinations could very well be correct. Always a contrast between trying to set lines that have a balance of size, speed and scoring and putting your biggest three together, your fastest three or your most likely to score three all together. Certainly with the number of forwards there will be pressure to produce. That is a good thing.

I think that Paliotta was a bit aloof and was not a team guy and while Pattyn may not be the most skilled player or the most likely to play in the show, he is a stable influence that most will get along with and respect.

Comment

O ye creative ones.....we need a new thread started for this year.......!

The lines were much more fluid last year than I would have expected after looking back at the lineups. Maybe that was health, talent, matchups, I dont know?

Comment

Working...
                      X