2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Just a follow up on a former Quinnipiac recruit in Chase Harwell who ditched the US for major juniors in Canada. He has had 2 below average seasons and is in his draft eligible year. You don't play major juniors if you are going to be mediocre. US kids going to major juniors better be sure they are going to be a high within the first 3-4 rounds otherwise it isn't worth it. Now this kid has no top end college to fall back on because he blew it on major juniors. Just dumb.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=193822
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
      ...And the disappointment of losing the next two games to lose the series?

Should be a battle next weekend in Hamden. This season has been pretty frustrating for Union, but we may be hitting our stride at just the right time. Union is now 14-0 under Rick Bennett in ECAC Tournament games.
      And 21-2 in the postseason overall...I've witnessed every single bit of it, but it still astonishes me.

As much as I'd love Union to move on to LP, I can't see them winning two of three this weekend. Yes, they have clearly hit their stride (hot at the right time?), but Q's defense and Garteig might be too much. Then again, I thought the same thing about Cornell & Gillam.

Good luck, folks! At least let's make this exciting.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I hope Chip McDonald is nowhere near Hamden this weekend. His officiating will ruin this series for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
          Good luck, folks! At least let's make this exciting.
          Same to you...

Originally posted by QUBobcats70 View Post
          I hope Chip McDonald is nowhere near Hamden this weekend. His officiating will ruin this series for both teams.
          I'll tolerate just about anyone else but Chip, especially after that last game he worked at the Bank.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            Not sure since the students are on break this week. I have not heard whether or not it's sold out as of yet. Your best bet is to call the box office at 203-582-3905. You may want to check with Union's ticket office as well... they may have a small allotment available for sale.
            Thanks. Got tickets to Saturday's game. I'll either be in 111, 112, 113, 114, or 115. I won't find out until gametime.

As for Friday's game, I'll have to stream it. Does anyone here have a link?
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Thanks. Got tickets to Saturday's game. I'll either be in 111, 112, 113, 114, or 115. I won't find out until gametime.

Available on boxcast for $9.95 a game. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2014-1...oxCast_Release
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Available on boxcast for $9.95 a game. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2014-1...oxCast_Release

Is the game not going to be streaming on Qs website?! If not I will be very disappointed!!
                "I would like to allocate more time to dating, though. I need to find a girlfriend. That’s why I need to carve out just a little more time. I think maybe even another five to 10 — how much time does a woman want a week? Maybe 10 hours? That’s kind of the minimum? I don’t know.”
                - Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by DownOnTheFarm View Post
                  Is the game not going to be streaming on Qs website?! If not I will be very disappointed!!
                  It won't... the ECAC in it's ultimate wisdom has decided that streaming with Boxcast at $9.95 per game is the best thing for the league.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                  Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

So disappointing... good thing OT started picking up at work this week haha! I guess it isn't too bad seeing as though I would be paying $10 if I was in Hamden still.
                    "I would like to allocate more time to dating, though. I need to find a girlfriend. That’s why I need to carve out just a little more time. I think maybe even another five to 10 — how much time does a woman want a week? Maybe 10 hours? That’s kind of the minimum? I don’t know.”
                    - Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                      It won't... the ECAC in it's ultimate wisdom has decided that streaming with Boxcast at $9.95 per game is the best thing for the league.
                      So basically they're taking from friends and family $10/game while the rest of us decide not to bother paying for a video feed we've gotten for free the entire year.

When will these leagues and schools understand that they get far more eyeballs on their product when putting it up for free. Far more people watch, which exposes those people to your product, which probably increases demand on tickets. It's a win-win.

Quinnipiac understands this, RPI understands this, I think a couple other teams in our league understand this. But the ECAC doesn't. It's a shame.

But don't worry, I'm sure the semi's and finals will be on FOX College Sports again, a network that about 12 people in the entire country get.
                      Last edited by ZYanksRule; 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                        So basically they're taking from friends and family $10/game while the rest of us decide not to bother paying for a video feed we've gotten for free the entire year.

When will these leagues and schools understand that they get far more eyeballs on their product when putting it up for free. Far more people watch, which exposes those people to your product, which probably increases demand on tickets. It's a win-win.

Quinnipiac understands this, RPI understands this, I think a couple other teams in our league understand this. But the ECAC doesn't. It's a shame.

But don't worry, I'm sure the semi's and finals will be on FOX College Sports again, a network that about 12 people in the entire country get.
                        Big difference between the regular season and playoffs: The schools fund one of those, while the league funds the other. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. The league is contracting the video providers for a game feed, while during the regular season, no live account of the game is even required; just an official box score to be sent to the league offices. The league believes that a free video will detract from the money they could receive from gate revenue, so they make it PPV. That's their prerogative, and given the playoffs happen around the time of Spring Break, it's understandable. Sure, the ECAC could advertise better with a free video product (and heck, mandate TV timeouts for the playoff games and have the video producers run some ads to earn back the revenue), but since it does not accomplish their goals, they don't.

Ivy League obviously creates some sort of contract with the participating schools. As for #26 Union, well, they probably need the cash to pay off the refs so they get their exorbitantly and relatively high number of power plays.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Big difference between the regular season and playoffs: The schools fund one of those, while the league funds the other. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. The league is contracting the video providers for a game feed, while during the regular season, no live account of the game is even required; just an official box score to be sent to the league offices. The league believes that a free video will detract from the money they could receive from gate revenue, so they make it PPV. That's their prerogative, and given the playoffs happen around the time of Spring Break, it's understandable. Sure, the ECAC could advertise better with a free video product (and heck, mandate TV timeouts for the playoff games and have the video producers run some ads to earn back the revenue), but since it does not accomplish their goals, they don't.

Ivy League obviously creates some sort of contract with the participating schools. As for #26 Union, well, they probably need the cash to pay off the refs so they get their exorbitantly and relatively high number of power plays.
                          I understand all that, I still think it's an awful decision. Is there any reason to believe less people come to the games because of free video? Quinnipiac sells out almost every single home game and does a free feed. It doesn't seem to add up to me. Free video increases interest in the long-term. It's a promotional vehicle for the league. That's my point.

I live about an hour away from Quinnipiac. I can't make it up there a lot. If there was free video, I'd be watching every game. I'm not paying $10/game to watch, though. Just not doing it. So instead of living and dying with every second of playoff hockey, I'll just be following the updates on Twitter. It's a mistake by the league to push me away from my team on the off chance they can make a few hundred dollars. How many people, aside from players' families, do you think are actually going to pay for these games? I'd guess it's not a large number.
                          Last edited by ZYanksRule; 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I understand all that, I still think it's an awful decision. Is there any reason to believe less people come to the games because of free video? Quinnipiac sells out almost every single home game and does a free feed. It doesn't seem to add up to me. Free video increases interest in the long-term. It's a promotional vehicle for the league. That's my point.
                            Cost of tickets are more (in most cases; Cornell's are already higher than the league mandate, RPI's is the same, not sure about you guys), the cost to produce the video (the league sets this at $10,000 based upon the fine RPI-TV incurred a few years ago and the TV contract cost), and all revenue up to the mandate goes directly to the league, not the school. There's a reason I nickname them the EZ$$.

Comment

I live about an hour away from Quinnipiac. I can't make it up there a lot. If there was free video, I'd be watching every game. I'm not paying $10/game to watch, though. Just not doing it. So instead of living and dying with every second of playoff hockey, I'll just be following the updates on Twitter. It's a mistake by the league to push me away from my team on the off chance they can make a few hundred dollars. How many people, aside from players' families, do you think are actually going to pay for these games? I'd guess it's not a large number.
                              You'd be surprised in this day and age how many would watch. Granted, it's not to the level of TV ratings, but streaming video has certainly increased over the last few years. Granted, you can also figure out internet patterns and "hack" the thing to view it (what a couple of RPI alums figured out; the preview is easy but I won't divulge anything further for obvious reasons). I also assume they can't get advertisers to sponsor the games and avert some of the cost because the ratings would be too low (not to mention, potential favoritism, which is why the NC$$ doesn't allow ads on the boards during the national playoffs).

Comment

Them charging $10 a game to listen to some blockhead play by play and probably mediocre coverage of a College Hockey game is just insane. Ivy League Digital Network already charges $10 a month and you can watch every single game. So to me it is disgusting that they would do that to the loyal fans of every ECAC team. I moved out to CA for a new job at the end of January and subscribed to ILDN just so I could watch the games... minus majority of the play by play being just awful and ear bleeding, the coverage was great. So I wasted $10 this month to watch 1 weekend of hockey, to me that is disgusting business practice and something I would expect from Xfinity Comcast rather than the ECAC.

I guess I am just a cheap ******* for not wanting to pay for crap coverage.
                                - Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                                X