Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Stevens in goal tonight.

Comment

Ciampini and Vecchione nominated for the Hobey Baker Award -

Vote here: http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote

(votes allowed once per day)

Comment

That Princeton team plays for 60 minutes .... earned my respect. Never gives up. They are going to win some down the stretch. Glad they are behind us. Still just our top lines.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
          Stevens in goal tonight.

I really like last nights lineup. Has anyone been watching DeSimone? Boy can he fly for a defensemen. I think he got two assists yesterday. He skated well in Agganis. 4th line has got to step up. The first two lines are having all the fun. I know Roy is not a great skater but at 6'4" with his reach, he can make up for it if he brings a bad disposition to the game. Q is doing it with fantastic special teams play. We are second place nationally in SH goals. Does anyone know if we stayed in Princeton overnight and then traveled to Connecticut today or would we have made the trip last night?
          Last edited by Dutchman; 01-10-2015, 01:46 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            I really like last nights lineup. Has anyone been watching DeSimone? Boy can he fly for a defensemen. I think he got two assists yesterday. He skated well in Agganis. 4th line has got to step up. The first two lines are having all the fun. I know Roy is not a great skater but at 6'4" with his reach, he can make up for it if he brings a bad disposition to the game. Q is doing it with fantastic special teams play. We are second place nationally in SH goals. Does anyone know if we stayed in Princeton overnight and then traveled to Connecticut today or would we have made the trip last night?
            Are Gingras & Pontarelli hurt or healthy scratches? Pontarelli's speed would normally be an asset against a team like the Q, as would Gingras' experience on the backline, though know the coaches have not been enamored of their play lately. DeSimone was a forward not that long ago and converted to D, and you can see he has good skills & instincts offensively. His problems have mostly been on the defensive side with decision making & backward skating. I do agree that he has been playing better and also really like what Light brings to the table with his physical play and straightforward defensive play.

Tonight is a real opportunity to set a tone for the second half of the season and potentially move up in the league standings a bit. On paper Union matches up pretty well with the Bobcats - 2 really good lines, improving D corps, and good if not great goaltending - but Q's explosiveness offensively always has me worried. Really need to start seeing the Colin Stevens of last season that rose to the occasion down the stretch. Hoping for another great game and the evening out of the up & down yo-yo season so far.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
              Are Gingras & Pontarelli hurt or healthy scratches?
              Gingras has been sick. Pontarelli has an upper-body injury.

Comment

Tonight's lines:

Comment

Those dump and chase are so hard to watch when the only result is the other team getting the puck... We have to find a way to get past the blue line without dumping the puck... Another 10 minutes or so and it'll be over... phew... Gotta feel bad for Stevens, he made all the save he could.
                  Q played very well, no chance for us to beat them. Speed, skill and team play was way above ours.
                  Next week end will be better !
                  Let's go Union !
                  ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                  ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                  NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

WOW, much closer than expected... what happened in the last 10 minutes ? WE WANTED IT MORE !!
                    Last edited by UFan; 01-10-2015, 08:08 PM.
                    Let's go Union !
                    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                    NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Too bad we didn't wake up until the last 5 minutes of the game
                      Union College Hockey
                      2014 NCAA National Champions
                      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

One decent win...Yale; two "decent" ties...H & BU..."ugh" when looking at whom we have beat and lost to. The hope last night was for a an auspicious kickoff to second half league play. No cigar. The intangible that separates the best from the rest seems elusive thus far. It is nasty playing catch up. We hear about "Union Hockey." Yes, it is great stuff. The legacy of last season will remain indelible. It's back to scratching and clawing in an incredibly competitive league.
                        Last edited by Miami Ice; 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                          It's back to scratching and clawing in an incredibly competitive league.
                          Just as happened with the last "dynasty," Yale, and the one before that, Cornell, and the one before that. Circle of life. The Union-Cornell game next weekend will be a battle of frustrated teams.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            EASY-AC

If the selection where made today, the ECAC would send 1 team to NCAA tournament, Harvard. This assumes Harvard wins the league and wins the tournament. In looking at the top 15 teams, and the competition they face vs. the coming competition in the ECAC, I cannot see any ECAC teams climbing fast enough to make it into the top 15. As a matter of fact, our teams could go in the opposite direction. Back in the days of the EASY-AC conventional wisdom was .... the way to make it to the NCAAs was through easier league play, building up a resume and / or winning the tournament. Those fans and coaches that still believe this are in for a big disappointment this year.

I am not disappointed in the Dutchmen (24) by the way. We are about where I expected us to be at this point.

Teams like St. Cloud are only 7-10 but tied with us (25) in the pairwise. A tough non-conference schedule and some wins. Now, if they nail some league wins they might make it. Robert Morris is there too (26) at 12-4-4. The AHA is just not competitive enough. No AHA team is going to make it on its own. You have to look at non-conference games with the same level of criticality as conference games if you expect to still be standing in March. The Union, Yale, Colgate, Cornell, Q coaches all know this because they have said as much. You have to schedule and win some quality non-conference games BEFORE league play or run the table in league play and if you think you are going to do it this year in the ECAC .... you need to get back on your meds.

This year with the tournament in Boston, it would be nice to have the ECAC present and accounted for. I hope that whatever ECAC team(s) make it to the NCAAs they go deep. I am just not optimistic. We may be heading back to the EASY-AC. If we are, its our own doing. As a league, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Our non-conference record in December was horrible and put us down with the AHA folks in out of conference winning percentage.

Maybe 2015-2016.
                            One week later and now the ECAC has 4 teams in the top 15 PWR. Handful of games left against Hockey East and half of the conference schedule left so a lot can happen. Do not go sour on the league yet.

Comment

Against Q
                              Colin made 15 saves but gave up 4 goals and left in period 2
                              Sak came in midway in period 2 to make 14 saves gave up no goals the rest of the way.

Q post game comments
                              http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/spo...20150110pcd3o3

Against SH
                              Sak made 21 saves and gave up 1 goal

Against BU
                              Sak made 33 saves and gave up 3 goals

Against Yale
                              Sak made 28 saves and gave up 1 goal.

IMO we give up nothing when Sak is in there. I also believe that there is an upside to his potential. What do you think?
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                                One week later and now the ECAC has 4 teams in the top 15 PWR. Handful of games left against Hockey East and half of the conference schedule left so a lot can happen. Do not go sour on the league yet.
                                I hope you are right and it's not time to despair. The ECAC is now in 4th place (45-46-9) and close to dropping back to 5th place, behind the BIG10 and only ahead of the AHA. We now have a losing record against every league except the AHA. Teams contending for those 4 slots we now have and that are just outside of the 15th place are Minnesota, Denver, Michigan, BC and St. Cloud. I also don't see those non-ECAC teams in the top 15 suddenly collapsing. Time will tell.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X