Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
    I think it's time for Connor Light to get into the lineup, we could use a defensive d-man.
    Light is very different from the defensemen who have brought Union success: while he can really skate, he'd rather go through you than go around you. He was vicious at Phillips Andover. Don't know why he chose Union because he's definitely not the offense-first "contain" defenseman Bennett seems to prefer. Seems more of a Cornell type kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
      Light is very different from the defensemen who have brought Union success: while he can really skate, he'd rather go through you than go around you. He was vicious at Phillips Andover. Don't know why he chose Union because he's definitely not the offense-first "contain" defenseman Bennett seems to prefer. Seems more of a Cornell type kid.
      We just gave up 6 goals, he seems like an ideal solution right about now.
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
        Funny you should say that. Cornell was one of the other schools that he spoke to during the recruiting process.

Comment

Saturday lines:

Comment

I actually liked what I saw tonight. We lost but if we bring it to every game going forward, improve our power play, improve the play of our six defensemen and improve every game, we will do well. I saw parts of Dartmouth and Harvard. They are physically two of the biggest teams in the ECAC and all of College Hockey. Dartmouth has the experience, Harvard has the talent, but we have 8 games under our belt. That gives us the advantage.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 11-02-2014, 05:00 AM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

God Bless you Taylor for passing the puck in front of the net. The loss is 100% his fault.
              Union College Hockey
              2014 NCAA National Champions
              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                God Bless you Taylor for passing the puck in front of the net. The loss is 100% his fault.
                In a game where offense consists of one goal, it's a little tough to blame loss on a goaltender or defensive error. Especially when Taylor is in 3rd with 7 points as dman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfirst View Post
                  In a game where offense consists of one goal, it's a little tough to blame loss on a goaltender or defensive error. Especially when Taylor is in 3rd with 7 points as dman.
                  Also considering Union had very clear chances in overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Union will win tonight,
                    Ho hum.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Each year we start out with talent that is not all that different from other teams and certainly less than the BC's and the Minnesota's. The reason we have collected the hardware from the past three years is that the coaches and players have joined together to develop the talent. Its a team sport. Every team is different. Every team has and develops its own character. We have faced adversity before. It builds character. It all depends on how we respond.

We are 5-3 but could easily be 1-7 where it not for Stevens. He is an example of the upperclassmen carrying the team on their (his) back until the freshmen get integrated. With a little help I think he could have had three shutouts. He needs more of his fellow upperclassmen to step up in a consistent fashion.

I picked the Dutchmen to finished 6th in the ECAC because they lost 5 great seniors, lots of speed, two All-Americans (first team) defensemen, great leadership, etc. and had to integrate 6-8 freshmen.

Now its a race to see who will get better ... faster.

After last night, despite the lose, I am much more optimistic.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                        Each year we start out with talent that is not all that different from other teams and certainly less than the BC's and the Minnesota's. The reason we have collected the hardware from the past three years is that the coaches and players have joined together to develop the talent. Its a team sport. Every team is different. Every team has and develops its own character. We have faced adversity before. It builds character. It all depends on how we respond.

We are 5-3 but could easily be 1-7 where it not for Stevens. He is an example of the upperclassmen carrying the team on their (his) back until the freshmen get integrated. With a little help I think he could have had three shutouts. He needs more of his fellow upperclassmen to step up in a consistent fashion.

I picked the Dutchmen to finished 6th in the ECAC because they lost 5 great seniors, lots of speed, two All-Americans (first team) defensemen, great leadership, etc. and had to integrate 6-8 freshmen.

Now its a race to see who will get better ... faster.

After last night, despite the lose, I am much more optimistic.
                        FWIW, RPI played 5 freshmen (out of 7 on the roster) in each game, and they scored 4 of the 8 goals.

JMO but the difference between RPI and Union on Saturday was in the goal where Kasdorf greatly outplayed Stevens. This was needed since Union bested RPI on all of the other stats, especially faceoffs which was a disaster for RPI. Also JMO, but had Kasdorf not been injured in the second game of RPI's season a year ago, RPI might have come close to their preseason ranking. Diebold is a good goalie but he doesn't win games as Kasdorf can. I add that Alec Dillon, who is expected to arrive next season, may be even better than Kasdorf.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Also considering Union had very clear chances in overtime.
                          I agree that it's not fair to call out one player even though Jeff acknowledged his blunder and took responsibility. Vecchione had a great chance to win it in OT but Kasdorf made a fantastic save.

RPI rose to the challenge this weekend and earned the sweep. So far as Union is concerned, they brought it in full last night but to no avail.

There are obviously areas that need to be cleaned up like taking care of the puck, the power play and errant passes. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that we will look back at this weekend as the low point of the season, as we progress from here. It won't be an overnight process but it will happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            I agree that it's not fair to call out one player even though Jeff acknowledged his blunder and took responsibility. Vecchione had a great chance to win it in OT but Kasdorf made a fantastic save.

RPI rose to the challenge this weekend and earned the sweep. So far as Union is concerned, they brought it in full last night but to no avail.

There are obviously areas that need to be cleaned up like taking care of the puck, the power play and errant passes. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that we will look back at this weekend as the low point of the season, as we progress from here. It won't be an overnight process but it will happen.
                            Agreed 100%. The game Saturday could have gone either way.
                            Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              JMO but the difference between RPI and Union on Saturday was in the goal where Kasdorf greatly outplayed Stevens
                              No question that Kasdorf is a great goalie ..... and that RPI has good defense. This year the ECAC has lots of very good goalies. However, thus far this year he does not even show up in the top 39 goalies (GAA) but I am sure he will ...

Goaltending Leaders
                              (Minimum 33% of team's total minutes needed to qualify)
                              Rk Name GP W-L-T MIN GA SV SV% GAA
                              1 Dalton Izyk, So, Robert Morris 4 4-0-0 239:49 3 128 .977 0.7506
                              2 Mathias Dahlstr�m, Jr, Northern Michigan 6 5-0-1 364:43 5 132 .964 0.8226
                              3 Mitch Gillam, So, Cornell 1 0-0-1 65:00 1 38 .974 0.9231
                              4 Matt O'Connor, Jr, Boston University 4 3-1-0 238:47 5 115 .958 1.2564
                              5 Charlie Finn, So, Colgate 8 6-2-0 475:04 10 179 .947 1.2630
                              6 Jamie Phillips, Jr, Michigan Tech 6 6-0-0 359:18 8 157 .952 1.3359
                              7 Tyler Steel, So, Brown 2 1-0-0 87:21 2 38 .950 1.3738
                              8 Ryan Massa, Sr, Nebraska-Omaha 5 4-0-1 304:59 7 138 .952 1.3771
                              9 Brody Hoffman, Jr, Vermont 4 3-0-1 244:42 6 89 .937 1.4712
                              10 Cal Petersen, Fr, Notre Dame 5 3-1-1 304:18 8 152 .950 1.5774
                              11 Evan Cowley, So, Denver 6 4-2-0 348:26 10 151 .938 1.7220
                              12 Tim Ernst, So, Brown 1 1-0-0 32:39 1 16 .941 1.8377
                              13 Colin Stevens, Sr, Union 7 5-2-0 390:35 12 186 .939 1.8434
                              34 Kyle Hayton, Fr, St. Lawrence 8 4-3-1 489:11 18 276 .939 2.2078
                              35 Michael Bitzer, Fr, Bemidji State 3 2-1-0 180:00 7 78 .918 2.3333
                              36 Parker Gahagen, So, Army 5 2-2-1 303:20 12 158 .929 2.3736
                              37 Rob Nichols, So, Connecticut 6 1-3-2 344:49 14 185 .930 2.4361
                              38 Sean Cahill, Sr, Alaska 4 2-2-0 244:19 10 126 .926 2.4558
                              39 Matt Ginn, Sr, Holy Cross 8 2-4-2 484:45 20 240 .923 2.4755

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...#ixzz3HvOmiCsb

and he is at 30th (lowest reported) in save percentage

17 Colin Stevens, Sr, Union 7 .939
                              Kyle Hayton, Fr, St. Lawrence 8 .939
                              19 Evan Cowley, So, Denver 6 .938
                              20 Brody Hoffman, Jr, Vermont 4 .937
                              21 Carmine Guerriero, So, Alabama-Huntsville 4 .936
                              22 Matthew Skoff, Jr, Penn State 8 .932
                              23 Zane McIntyre, Jr, North Dakota 7 .931
                              24 Rob Nichols, So, Connecticut 6 .930
                              25 Parker Gahagen, So, Army 5 .929
                              Thatcher Demko, So, Boston College 6 .929
                              27 Tommy Burke, Jr, Bowling Green 3 .928
                              28 Sean Cahill, Sr, Alaska 4 .926
                              Terry Shafer, Jr, Robert Morris 4 .926
                              30 Jason Kasdorf, Jr, Rensselaer 7 .924

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...#ixzz3HvN37rhI

A good test for him will be this weekend against Harvard and Dartmouth.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                No question that Kasdorf is a great goalie ..... and that RPI has good defense. This year the ECAC has lots of very good goalies. However, thus far this year he does not even show up in the top 39 goalies (GAA) but I am sure he will ...

A good test for him will be this weekend against Harvard and Dartmouth.
                                Still too early to look at stats for me. Some of those goalies haven't played much, some haven't played anyone good yet and no one has played enough to keep one bad outing from killing their averages.

I think it's safe to say Kasdorf will move up but it will be more a case of him staying where he is in save % while everyone else comes down to earth. GAA... could take a while to improve but again, there are others that are benefiting from small sample sizes.

I expect this weekend to be just a bump in the road for Union. Who knows if it will ignite RPI onto something. It would be nice to meet a 4th time in Lake Placid this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X