Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdf8585
    replied
    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Daniel Carr named AHL Rookie of the Month for February: http://t.co/h5tRNxBwjm

Leave a comment:

• aweise
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Good summary. The '08 QF was one of the tightest playoff series I've ever seen. We won the first game with a ppg with 6 minutes remaining and the second on a ppg with 11 minutes to go. At no time in the entire series did either team have a 2-goal lead.
    That was the first year Union had a bye in the first round...and yet we still hadn't won an ECAC playoff series until the next year. My, how times have changed.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Cornell has tended to fall behind lately and naturally we do not excel at coming back, being a defensive team. G Mitch Gillam, after leading the country all year in GAA and Sv%, had two surprisingly poor games this past weekend. The lineup is healthy (except one senior who has been out since Christmas). F Cole Bardreau (22) and D Joakim Ryan (5) are the heart of the team, which has size and power, and even some speed, but very little skill at finding the net.
    This has been Union's tendency lately, also. With their lack of scoring (until this past weekend), you could almost guarantee the loss was coming once they gave up a goal. However, should Cornell take a 2-0 lead at any point, I can't see Union coming back from that. Even though they're two wins this past weekend were after 2-0 deficits, they just haven't had the offensive firepower to come from behind. I hope the boys have learned their lesson and realize it's a 60-minute game. Besides, as someone said earlier, there's a lot of playoff experience on this team...they know what it will take to win, especially in enemy territory.

I'd also bet that this goes three games, but it could be like the 2008 QF series - either team could easily get the OT/late 3rd period goal in games 1 & 2.

Leave a comment:

• rdf8585
    replied

2015-16 recruit Brett Supinski named BCHL Rookie of the Year:

http://t.co/rzbFvBEtAb

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by UnionHockeyRadio View Post
    We've already begun prepping for the playoff series against Cornell - And you fans might be interested in this recent history refresher
    Good summary. The '08 QF was one of the tightest playoff series I've ever seen. We won the first game with a ppg with 6 minutes remaining and the second on a ppg with 11 minutes to go. At no time in the entire series did either team have a 2-goal lead.

Cornell has tended to fall behind lately and naturally we do not excel at coming back, being a defensive team. G Mitch Gillam, after leading the country all year in GAA and Sv%, had two surprisingly poor games this past weekend. The lineup is healthy (except one senior who has been out since Christmas). F Cole Bardreau (22) and D Joakim Ryan (5) are the heart of the team, which has size and power, and even some speed, but very little skill at finding the net.

No Cornell class under coach Schafer has gone all 4 years without playing in the ECAC title game, something the class of '15 has only one last chance to do.

I would bet the farm that this series goes 3 games with perhaps some free hockey thrown in. I wish you guys every bad bounce possible.

Leave a comment:

• UFan
    replied

2 Wins, both very similar. A sub-par first period, followed by a better 2nd and a decent 3rd. A lot of sparks and more guts than I've seen in a long time. It's exactly what has been missing all season, so it's nice to see it happen. Usually, we have a couple of defensive errors (those happened) and nothing to make up for them. This week, they wanted it.
    A couple of big games by Eli and Scarfo, pleasantly surprised. And it's nice to see some scoring by more players, it shows a bit more depth than we've had this past year. Hope it continues !
    I hope the players and the coaches can figure out a solution to our first period woes...
    My hope for this coming week-end : a win on Friday, an win on saturday. Close games, 1 goal difference.
    Let's go Union !

Leave a comment:

• UnionHockeyRadio
    replied

We've already begun prepping for the playoff series against Cornell - And you fans might be interested in this recent history refresher -

The Big Red are no stranger to the ECAC Final Four, as the storied Cornell program went to the tourney in 2014, and went for a five year stretch 2008-2012 - for a total of 6 out of the last 7 years. While they won it all in 2010, they were shut out in the finals twice by Yale in that run. Cornell also lost in the finals in 2001, 2002, and 2006, but won the Whitelaw cup in 2003 and 2005 (Cornell played Harvard in 4 of those championship games, splitting them).

Union has been to the final four in four out of the last five seasons, of course winning the last three league titles, the only times Union has been to the ECAC Championship Tourney.

Colgate has made 4 appearances, Yale 3 in that same seven year stretch starting in 2007-2008, the most behind Cornell and Union.

Union/Cornell playoff history -

2013-2014: Union defeated Cornell in the ECAC Semis last year, 5 - 2. (Union was #1, Cornell #4). Of returning players, Novak and Vechhione had goals for Union, while Stevens got the W. Ryan and Hilbrich had the goals for Cornell, Isles was their goalie last season.
    2009-2010: Cornell defeated Union in the ECAC Finals, 3-0 - Union's first trip the the final four, and Cornell's lone ECAC title during that stretch starting in the 07-08 season.
    2007-2008: Union (4 seed) hosted Cornell (#5) in the second round of the tournament, with Cornell earning a pair of 3-2 wins. While Union was the #4 seed, Cornell was favored by most coming into Schenectady.

Cornell has quite the knack for making into the final rounds, so a very tough task awaiting the Dutchmen in Ithaca next week. Cornell has played only one opening round series at home since the ECAC adopted this format in 2002-2003, a sweep of Dartmouth in a matchup of #5 vs #12 in 2007-2008. Cornell's only lost in the preliminary rounds was in 2013, as the #9 seed upsetting their first round opponent Princeton on the road, but falling to #1 Quinnipiac in the 2nd round.

Don't forget we have Coach's Corner coming up Tuesday at the Van Dyck, there *MAY* be some playoff tickets as prizes, but we won't know that til the night of the show. We'll preview the matchup with Rick Bennett, who isn't too used to being on the road this time of year, Union's last prelim road trip was in 2006-2007, a loss at Quinnipiac.

Leave a comment:

• cudmud
    replied

Dutchfan, thank you for the starting line information. Yes, I will be posting pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
    Union can't expect to go into Lynah, fall down 2-0 (like both games this weekend) and expect positive results.
    You can say that again !!! I don't see how we pull this off. The bad news is that Cornell leads the country in just about every defensive category. Their PK is off the charts and they are not taking many penalties. Q shut them out twice. SL beat them twice. Dartmouth beat them twice. They are a solid home team. Conference Record, ECAC: 9-9-4, 22 points. Home: 7-5-3 / Away: 3-6-2 / Neutral: 1-1-1. I don't have a good feeling. Our chances will improve if/with Wilkins and Taylor returning. Our season could be over next weekend. Does this team have enough "acid in the gut" players to win two at Lynah?

Do we have what it takes?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Zjh3AirjU
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-01-2015, 04:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rdf8585
    replied

Video of all three Union goals from tonight's 3-2 win over Clarkson:

https://t.co/pQHADIMJyR

Leave a comment:

• rdf8585
    replied

Union will be the 10th seed in the ECAC Hockey playoffs, which means a trip to 7th-seeded Cornell next weekend. Not the best draw, but Union should at least make it interesting. One thing is for sure, Union can't expect to go into Lynah, fall down 2-0 (like both games this weekend) and expect positive results.

Leave a comment:

• UnionFan4Life
    replied

A great way to end the regular season and the senior game!

Leave a comment:

• rdf8585
    replied

Postgame reaction after tonight's 3-2 win over Clarkson:

Novak and Hynes: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...postgame-22815

Assistant coach Joe Dumais: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...postgame-22815

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied

we won again !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dutchfan
    replied

Originally posted by cudmud View Post
    I have an arcade style hockey game in my bar, and I'm giving my players custom uniforms. My plan is to have our 2014 NCAA champions battle the 1985 RPI champions. Can any of you please provide the starting line that won the NCAA championship game? I'm looking for each starter's name, number, and position. Thank you.
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1314/boxes/mminuni1.a12

G: 30 - Colin Stevens
    LD: 22 - Mat Bodie
    RD: 24 - Sébastien Gingras
    LW: 9 - Daniel Carr
    C: 21 - Mike Vecchione
    RW: 17 - Daniel Ciampini

Sounds like an awesome project, I would love to see some pictures whenever it is finished.

Leave a comment:

• cudmud
    replied

I have an arcade style hockey game in my bar, and I'm giving my players custom uniforms. My plan is to have our 2014 NCAA champions battle the 1985 RPI champions. Can any of you please provide the starting line that won the NCAA championship game? I'm looking for each starter's name, number, and position. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X