Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
    Rick completely wiffed on his analysis on Stevens. Colin was the only reason tonight wasn't a repeat of the SLU game. Brown (!) is going to completely run us out of the rink tomorrow unless we have a major gut check over the next 24 hours.
    I think I asked the question you're referring to. I was surprised, I thought Stevens earned more praise than he got. He's the only reason why it was 1-0 most of the way, could have been a lot worse.

Nothing against Sak, but games like tonight show why Stevens should have been the guy all along this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
      I think I asked the question you're referring to. I was surprised, I thought Stevens earned more praise than he got. He's the only reason why it was 1-0 most of the way, could have been a lot worse.

Nothing against Sak, but games like tonight show why Stevens should have been the guy all along this year.
      I fully agree. Sak is a serviceable backup in this league and nothing more. He just doesn't have the athleticism to be an elite ECAC goaltender. You can't blame the kid at all since he was brought on as a late replacement for Grosenick after Troy left early, but what we've seen from him at this point is what we're going to get out of him. Stevens is an All-American caliber goaltender who should've been the starter all season long as long as he was healthy. Rick's comments deeply worry me as they seem to elaborate that the rotation is in fact not over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
        Is there redemption for the Dutchmen? A win over Yale tonight would point them in the right direction. Unfortunately time is becoming of the essence. Nothing less than winning the ECAC tournament will put the bus on the Mass Pike. The Union faithful have hoped for the "turn" for many weekends. It has been frustrating, particularly not having swept one ECAC weekend. Playing catch up is tough.
        Looking toward next year one might derive some solace from the success of BU and Miami, winners of just ten and fifteen games last season. But there is still some hockey to be played in the next several weeks.
        It seems redemption remains elusive.

Comment

Video of a few of Stevens' better saves tonight: https://t.co/AZJ8YC18At

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
            Sak is a serviceable backup in this league and nothing more.
            Woow !!! This game clearly generated a lot of hatred against Sak, our back up goalie, who did not even play!!! Its been a tough year to be a Dutchman fan.
            Sak was in Goal 60 minutes the first time we played Yale at Yale and won, 3-1.
            Sak was in Goal 60 minutes when we beat Harvard in Boston.
            Sak was in Goal 60 minutes when we tied BU 3-3, again in Boston.
            Sak came off the bench against Q to shut them out when Colin gave up 4 goals in a blink of an eye and allowed us to come back.
            Sak has never been chased from goal ... Colin was chased against RPI, Western Michigan, Q, St. Lawrence, and I think at least one other.
            Sak is 3-3-2 and his numbers are about equal to RPI's Kasdorf, a very good goalie.

The USCHO rank goalies ..... Colin Stevens is ranked 49th out of the 50 goalies they rank on GAA. Last week he was 50th. Looks like he had a good game. Moved up one.
            The ECAC rank goalies ..... Colin Stevens is ranked 10th in SV%

Stevens is an All-American caliber goaltender? Certainly was last year, when he had in front of him Bodie, Ghost, Sullivan, Hatch, Ikkela, Carr, etc.

ECAC has a lot of outstanding goalies this year
            ECAC goalies ranked nationally 1,2,6,10,15,20,22,27 and Colin at 49.

It sounds like fans would like to see Colin in goal the rest of the way. If the players had a vote, I wonder who they would select? Should we keep him in goal when the rout is on, like when we were being routed by RPI, Western Michigan, Q or St. Lawrence. Maybe we should just leave him in.

It was reported that Yale blocked 15 shots? We blocked 5 ... we blocked 14 against Yale the first time, 20 against BU and 12 against Harvard.
            Champ had one shot .... one shot.

Happy Valentines' Day
            Last edited by Dutchman; 02-14-2015, 12:08 AM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Put it this way: Who would you rotate in to give your team a better chance to win?
              Fair question (and one I anticipated).

I may take some shots from this, but a benching of Vasaturo or Henry wouldn't have been a terrible idea. Neither has exactly been stout on defense and usually turn the puck over 2-3 times a game. Henry showed me even more last night that he's not improving from last year - he just seems too indecisive and passive handling the puck.

That said, I don't see Bennett benching either of these guys, especially the captain. As you implied, there isn't someone to bring in that would be worlds better.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Just saw the complete replay ....
                http://www.unionathletics.tv/archive...213/index.html
                As a whole, considering we were playing the #1 defense in the country, I saw a lot of positive takaways ....
                We actually did keep the first line intact .....
                Taylor was bleeding all over the place ... anyone know if he is ok? More Stitches
                Last edited by Dutchman; 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Yale's John Hayden was suspended for one game by ECAC Hockey today. The suspension stems from his hit on Jeff Taylor late in Friday's game.

See the hit: https://t.co/waaHYlZ4lr

Union head coach Rick Bennett said after the game that Taylor should be "good to go."

Comment

Would have been nice to have had a major penalty for the last 3:20 of the game (instead of a penalty called against Union shortly thereafter).

Comment

Evidently, Jeff Taylor is not "good to go" afterall. He's a scratch tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                        Yale's John Hayden was suspended for one game by ECAC Hockey today. The suspension stems from his hit on Jeff Taylor late in Friday's game.

See the hit: https://t.co/waaHYlZ4lr

Union head coach Rick Bennett said after the game that Taylor should be "good to go."
                        BS hit. Can't believe nothing got called on that play when it initially happened. These seemingly weekly headshots are getting beyond tiresome at this point.

Comment

Recap and reaction from Union's 1-0 loss to Brown: http://bit.ly/177IUYG

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                            It seems redemption remains elusive.
                            Two bagels...
                            Talk of redemption looks to have been misplaced. Ten months after winning the national championship can now type "OUCH" blindfolded. Perhaps perdition is more apt. The fantasy of a season ending run is looking dubious. Still, the afterglow of Phila. is very much intact.
                            Last edited by Miami Ice; 02-15-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Well in case you were thinking things couldn't get much worse, a weekend circa 1998.. Those were two pretty pathetic looking hockey games, though at least Yale looks like a good team with some skill and drive. My take is that everyone is just tired, beatup and/or mentally exhausted. I think the freshmen "hit the wall" a couple weeks ago, which partly explains the 3rd period and 2nd game lack of energy. Doesn't explain why the non-frosh seem to fade too, but maybe there was not enough off-ice conditioning over the summer in the NC afterglow. I feel bad for Stevens who maybe had his best weekend of the year with nothing to show for it. Next weekend could be an epic disaster, especially if Taylor is still out and Gingras still in the doghouse.. Looks like next season can't come soon enough.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Despite the losses, that was one of Union's more encouraging weekends of the season. Colin was good, they weren't a hot mess on defense, and it took exceptional goaltending and some tough non-calls to beat them.

While one (meaningless) goal in three games doesn't cut it, and secondary scoring is needed, this team has too much talent to continue struggling offensively. They've faced a lot of adversity this year, and I think they'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X