This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Interesting call, the elbow to the head against the top rail actually looked like a more dangerous hit than the one you describe.
    I agree. Part of why I asked the question.
    I see the point of the league because of the result of not having your head up, but that is not a good way of dealing with hits like that. Coaches need to teach their guys - 'see that? Don't let me catch you with your head down, you'll be riding the pine for the rest of the year.'

The boarding that occurred definitely needed to be penalized. Whether that deserved a 5 and game is debatable, but the hand has to go up there.

Comment

Re: WCHA 2014-15: Semi-colons make things seem important

It looked like he had trouble with the pass and he was trying to fish it out. He took his sweet time doing it with his head down and he paid the price. I didn't see how it deserved a game. Since when can you stand on top of the puck and daydream and expect not to get railroaded?
      Originally posted by geezer View Post
      How about that - the highlights have been scrubbed of controversy. Either the WCHA has no clue how to get youtube hits, or it's Obama's fault.

Comment

He got a game because it's October, it looked like a hit to the head (not saying that it was, but if all you could see was a split second of it, you might think that), and CTH is always a point of emphasis by officials in the first month or two. If this had happened after Jan 1, there would be no punishment beyond 5 in the box and perhaps a misconduct.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          He got a game because it's October, it looked like a hit to the head (not saying that it was, but if all you could see was a split second of it, you might think that), and CTH is always a point of emphasis by officials in the first month or two. If this had happened after Jan 1, there would be no punishment beyond 5 in the box and perhaps a misconduct.
          Cameron gets punished because Davidson can't keep his head up and his helmet strapped.
          i.e. It looked bad.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Cameron gets punished because Davidson can't keep his head up and his helmet strapped.
            i.e. It looked bad.
            Agreed!
            But not just Brett. It takes away our best right wing.
            Heck of a blow to the Seawolves not just Brett, and not Brett's fault.
            Yes I feel for the dumb**** getting run over but get real, you play with the big boys play like a big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
              After and no retaliation. Just a big guy putting his shoulder into a regular sized guy at mach 3 speed while the guy is counting his toes or checking his laces or whatever he was busy doing other than playing hockey.
              League making an example. The 5 and out maybe yes. The game BS.
              It didn't look like Brett even hit the BADger in the head. It looked like he hit his upper body with his shoulder, with enough speed to knock both of them down. What caused the concussion was his losing his helmet and hitting his head on the ice. Terrible call by the WCHA.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                The problem I see with that is the review and additional suspension for what appears to be no head contact at all. I can see and understand how the call was made on the ice; I can't understand how a review by the league would lead to additional disciplinary action.

I am one who generally agrees with strong enforcement and additional disciplinary action by individual leagues, and I fall on the side of saying that even if head contact is unintentional and indirect a league needs to hand out suspensions. It is the responsibility of the checking player to avoid any and all contact to the head, even indirect and secondary contact.
                But I just can't see any head contact in that hit.

The only thing I can come up with for the suspension is that it falls into the category of a hit on an "unsuspecting" or "vulnerable" player. But if the league is citing "contact to the head" I really have to question it (and to be fair, I'm unaware of the exact rational given by the league for handing out the additional suspension).

EDIT: I'd add, that as far as I recall, the rule is written to penalize "blindside" hits in regards to an unsuspecting/vulnerable player. And that didn't seem like a blindside hit either.
                Last edited by Stauber1; 10-15-2014, 03:28 AM.

Comment

I'm ignoring all these posts about the UAA/Wiscy hits because they failed to include enough semi-colons.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                    I'm ignoring all these posts about the UAA/Wiscy hits because they failed to include enough semi-colons.
                    Are you saying you won't pay attention to a hit unless it takes out a kid's colon?? That seems like a pretty high bar.
                    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                    Clarkson 1990

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2014-15: Semi-colons make things seem important

Subscribing....
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                        Are you saying you won't pay attention to a hit unless it takes out a kid's colon?? That seems like a pretty high bar.
                        Wait, why are we talking about taking out a kid's colon? Penn State is in the Big 10...
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Wait, why are we talking about taking out a kid's colon? State Penn is in the Big 10...
                          Corrected.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Corrected.
                            5 minutes for roughing, and an additional 2 min for instigating. Be careful Ryan, that's almost a 10 minute misconduct.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                              CHN has a great app that provides that info and more in real time. Perhaps USCHO refuses to acknowledge that it exists...
                              Honestly it didn't work last weekend any better than the USCHO feed. They both had the BG score with 8 mins left posted 2 hours after the game was over. A number of other scores were the same way. And of course you don't get any idea how the game went.

Some big games this coming weekend. Real big.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Honestly it didn't work last weekend any better than the USCHO feed. They both had the BG score with 8 mins left posted 2 hours after the game was over. A number of other scores were the same way. And of course you don't get any idea how the game went.

Some big games this coming weekend. Real big.
                                These "Live BoxScore" apps on whatever website are a product of the live stats produced at each home game by the home sports information department. CHN/USCHO/whoever just snags the "feed" and reproduces it. The likely culprit was the host school ...

Comment

Working...
                                X