X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread I - 2014-2015

Originally posted by Tater View Post
    Please explain the connection to the band? The goal horn takes maybe 3-5 seconds? It takes almost that long for the band to get ready after a goal anyways and they play the fight song right after that. I don't see a band issue?

Where I do see a band issue is with the piped-in music and the incessant advertisements. I wish there was much less of that.
    Yeah I don't see that liking the horn = wanting to get rid of the band.

I think the horn is cool, I don't mind some piped in music but they could do a better job coordinating all of this stuff with the band.

Do they still play that peter gunn song when the team skates out on the ice? I almost feel as if I haven't heard that since Walter Brown...

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      What is that "song" that's played when BU comes out to start the game? Seriously, who is the person who makes these decisions?
      The song that the team skates out to before the starting lineup introductions and the songs played during the warmups are picked each September by the kids on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Yeah I don't see that liking the horn = wanting to get rid of the band.

I think the horn is cool, I don't mind some piped in music but they could do a better job coordinating all of this stuff with the band.

Do they still play that peter gunn song when the team skates out on the ice? I almost feel as if I haven't heard that since Walter Brown...
        Yes, I was referring to the song played as BU leaves the locker room, and marches up to the rink. Actually, "Peter Gunn" hasn't been played for quite some time at home games. They do play it when BU plays neutral site games.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          the ONLY music being heard in WWA should be that which comes from the band...... but this is obviously not up to mookie
          +1

Yes, it's Peter Gunn, but do they still play it? *ZonedOut* The ads and piped in music suck ***, and have no place at a college game. But I'm old and set in my ways. #GetOffMyLawn

I like the horn. The band director will get the hang of waiting, but being ready with Go BU as soon as the last toot is tooted.

Speaking of sound and music: How funny was the figure skating team sound issues last night? Not sure why it's so hard to hit "stop" and "play" Are they using a record player up in the booth!!?

BU Hockey: Overrated with Horns Aplenty
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

On the PP, Brandon Fortunato on the point. It's obvious he doesn't want to shoot the puck. No matter how well he passes, having a point man who won't shoot is akin to giving the opposition a free square.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Long Live #1
              The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                +1

Yes, it's Peter Gunn, but do they still play it? *ZonedOut* The ads and piped in music suck ***, and have no place at a college game. But I'm old and set in my ways. #GetOffMyLawn

I like the horn. The band director will get the hang of waiting, but being ready with Go BU as soon as the last toot is tooted.

Speaking of sound and music: How funny was the figure skating team sound issues last night? Not sure why it's so hard to hit "stop" and "play" Are they using a record player up in the booth!!?

BU Hockey: Overrated with Horns Aplenty
                I believe that the band still does play shortened versions of it at the beginning of each period.

This horn was much better than the last attempt at a horn a few years ago.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Didn't realize you all wanted to get rid of the band. That's kind of sad.
                  If it's synchronized so it's horn then band, not over one another, that's doable. That said, the band hasn't exactly been stellar this year, to say the least.

As Agganis said, the song when the team takes the ice right before introductions is selected by the team. It's the infamous (to those of us youngins) Sandstorm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoJe9jr7mc
                  Last edited by brassbonanza; 11-26-2014, 10:37 AM.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    If it's synchronized so it's horn then band, not over one another, that's doable. That said, the band hasn't exactly been stellar this year, to say the least.
                    the band does play the same old tired songs year after year.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      the band does play the same old tired songs year after year.
                      Nonetheless, they're the "hardest working pep band in collegiate athletics."

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        Nonetheless, they're the "hardest working pep band in collegiate athletics."
                        mookie doesn't work hard, he works smart
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Pre Harvard loss rankings: http://q30television.com/2014/11/25/...y-poll-112414/
                          Quinnipiac University '15
                          ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                          ECAC Championship: 2016
                          NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                          NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                          Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Taking a small break from talk of a goal horn and game time production to encourage you all to take some time and watch this video of Travis Roy accepting the Christopher Reeve Spirit of Courage Award on November 20th. The Travis Roy Foundation donated $425,000 to the Christopher Reeve Foundation to help fund a clinical trial. He was introduced by Christopher Reeve's son Will and the CEO of Jet Blue. The video is about 20 minutes long, but it's pretty wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXmVpZ8ai5o

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Taking a small break from talk of a goal horn and game time production to encourage you all to take some time and watch this video of Travis Roy accepting the Christopher Reeve Spirit of Courage Award on November 20th. The Travis Roy Foundation donated $425,000 to the Christopher Reeve Foundation to help fund a clinical trial. He was introduced by Christopher Reeve's son Will and the CEO of Jet Blue. The video is about 20 minutes long, but it's pretty wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXmVpZ8ai5o
                              Nice watch. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                                I believe that the band still does play shortened versions of it at the beginning of each period.

This horn was much better than the last attempt at a horn a few years ago.
                                Yeah, it is a shortened version of the Peter Gunn theme.

Why shorten it? It is tradition, going back to the days of Jack Kelley. Apparently it was Coach Kelley's favorite TV show in the early 1960s.
                                (Lowell uses it, sometimes, too, because former coach Billy Riley - who played at BU under Kelley - also liked it.)

The problem with the band, if it can be classified as a "problem", is they play the same songs at the same time every singles game. They have a script, and they are sticking to it.
                                I go to a few women's hockey games each season, and it is the exact same script every year.

Thankfully they appear to have done away with "We are halfway there ..." song that they'd play in the middle of the second period, and the students would sing along with whether BU was winning or losing.

A new song, here or there, or maybe just shuffling the lineup card may help make things more interesting.

That said, they should stick with Peter Gunn and play the longer version. At the very least at the start of the game.

BTW, one thing that is much better this year is the video introduction. Last season's was pretty lame, and so was the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X