X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread I - 2014-2015

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Eichel leading the nation with 21 points. Anyone else think that sounds light for the leading scorer in the country? Shouldn't there be someone from Canisius or somewhere with like 30 points?
    been saying this for a few years now, but the game has changed so much. for as much praise as paul kariya deserves, it's just a different era now. goals are down, coaches are more concerned with keeping the puck out of your own net rather than actually scoring, defensive systems have come a long way, just a different game.

Comment

If Paul Kariya played today against BU and or BC d on a nightly basis, he would have 100 points. Him and Montgomery and Ingraham were 3 levels above Gaudreau Arnold and Hayes. They also don't allowing clutching, holding, interference anymore.

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The goalies are much, much better know through training, technique, and equipment.

Do you have for example save pct from Maine that year? Dunham and Snow were NHL caliber goalies and I'd bet their sv pct was very low compared to today's average goalies.
        Kariya was an exceptional talent. But in today's NCAA he would max out at 75-80 pts/season.

(I'm not even counting how many shots today get blocked as the equipment allows fwd & dmen great latitude in getting down to block shots as well. Something that wasn't done 20 yrs ago).

Different game.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

The goalies are much, much better know through training, technique, and equipment.

Do you have for example save pct from Maine that year? Dunham and Snow were NHL caliber goalies and I'd bet their sv pct was very low compared to today's average goalies.
          Kariya was an exceptional talent. But in today's NCAA he would max out at 75-80 pts/season.

(I'm not even counting how many shots today get blocked as the equipment allows fwd & dmen great latitude in getting down to block shots as well. Something that wasn't done 20 yrs ago).

Different game.
          Excellent point that is rarely cited when comparing the two eras.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

In 1992-1993, Garth Snow had a .924 save percentage and a 2.01 GAA (both best in the conference). Dunham had a 2.64 GAA (second best) and a .893 save percentage (third best behind Cashman).

In 1991-1992, Snow had a 2.53 GAA (second place in hockey east) and Dunham had a 2.58 GAA (third place in hockey east). They both were not in the top five in save percentage according to the Hockey East archives with number 5 in the conference Brad Mullahy with a .882 save percentage.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              In 1992-1993, Garth Snow had a .924 save percentage and a 2.01 GAA (both best in the conference). Dunham had a 2.64 GAA (second best) and a .893 save percentage (third best behind Cashman).

In 1991-1992, Snow had a 2.53 GAA (second place in hockey east) and Dunham had a 2.58 GAA (third place in hockey east). They both were not in the top five in save percentage according to the Hockey East archives with number 5 in the conference Brad Mullahy with a .882 save percentage.

Thank you. Are those HEA numbers only?

I asked as I saw some yesterday when looking for goals and whatnot, but I only found regulate season stuff as hoky did.

Some comparison.
              When bu won in 95 the goalie numbers were under .900 for us & around .850 for out opponents over the entire season.
              When we won in 2009 Millan was .920

I would NOT refer to Kieran as a better than average goalie, but he put up those types of numbers (not a mike Dunham nor a Garth snow).

Comment

Thank you. Are those HEA numbers only?

I asked as I saw some yesterday when looking for goals and whatnot, but I only found regulate season stuff as hoky did.

Some comparison.
                When bu won in 95 the goalie numbers were under .900 for us & around .850 for out opponents over the entire season.
                When we won in 2009 Millan was .920

I would NOT refer to Kieran as a better than average goalie, but he put up those types of numbers (not a mike Dunham nor a Garth snow).
                Looks like they were just Hockey East numbers since Kariya is listed as having 63 points

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/...hots/92_93.pdf
                http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/...hots/91_92.pdf
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

...or a Scott Cashman. RIP
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Different game.
                    So a guy getting 1000 nhl points and all world team member, gold medalist etc would only be as good as Johnny Gaudreau?

Please....

Montgomery, Igraham and Kariya were two levels up from BC's big line last year. That maine team would have walked thru Hockey East

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      Looks like they were just Hockey East numbers since Kariya is listed as having 63 points

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/...hots/92_93.pdf
                      http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/...hots/91_92.pdf
                      Wow, I forgot how much BU and Maine dominated that season. The third place team in HE was only at .500.

Also, this must have been the year that Shawn Walsh was rip**** that Dave Sacco was named an All-American over Montgomery, even though he had around 30 less points.

Seeing Kaj Linna as second team All-HE - does anyone from the old AOL days remember the poster who thought Linna was the worst defenseman he had ever seen? I can't remember his name. Is he on these boards under a different name?
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        So a guy getting 1000 nhl points and all world team member, gold medalist etc would only be as good as Johnny Gaudreau?

Please....

Montgomery, Igraham and Kariya were two levels up from BC's big line last year. That maine team would have walked thru Hockey East
                        Well.....
                        TODAY that umo team would have gone 0-45-0 and had an asterisk next to their record too.

But sure, I like playing "what if" along with the next guy

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          Wow, I forgot how much BU and Maine dominated that season. The third place team in HE was only at .500.

Also, this must have been the year that Shawn Walsh was rip**** that Dave Sacco was named an All-American over Montgomery, even though he had around 30 less points.

Seeing Kaj Linna as second team All-HE - does anyone from the old AOL days remember the poster who thought Linna was the worst defenseman he had ever seen? I can't remember his name. Is he on these boards under a different name?
                          What did he expect? He spent the season in "Puddinville", to use Mookie's moniker for Orono.

I think the anti-Linna guy may have been Bomber.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Well.....
                            TODAY that umo team would have gone 0-45-0 and had an asterisk next to their record too.

So don't I. I think Hoky has understated the matter. That Maine team would've been competitive with the Canadiens teams of the late '70's.

Comment

Well.....

Hockey east is a shell of what it used to be. Maine would be so far above any team this year it is laughable.

Blocked shots? Are you kidding me? Walshs team that year blocked more shots than any team this year by a mile

Comment

Are you next going to tell me Frank Gifford would be an all pro too?

Comment

Working...
                                X