This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread I - 2014-2015

I'd have guaranteed back in April that the Royals would win the AL pennant, but no one asked me.

How on earth did Poile and Fenton keep their jobs after making Wilson a first-rounder?
    Last edited by Rogie21; 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM.
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      I wouldnt have. I would have bet on it. One can skate, one cant
      I've watched quite a bit of Colin Wilson in the NHL.

Of all his issues, skating would be the least of them. He is strong with the puck, zone entries, and very good with possession.
      2008-09 Boston University Terriers
      Icebreaker, Denver Cup, Beanpot, HE Regular Season, HE Tournament
      NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by rewind2482 View Post
        I've watched quite a bit of Colin Wilson in the NHL.

Of all his issues, skating would be the least of them. He is strong with the puck, zone entries, and very good with possession.
        Please don't tease us. What are his issues then?
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Who, praytell, was a better player on the 2009 squad than Wilson???
          I suppose you could make a case for Bonino. Not anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            Please don't tease us. What are his issues then?
            The inability to turn that possession into actual offensive production is a rather large one.

Health.

Not looked good on the power play.

The new coach/system may change things.
            2008-09 Boston University Terriers
            Icebreaker, Denver Cup, Beanpot, HE Regular Season, HE Tournament
            NCAA Champions

Comment

I would argue at this point that out of the BU forwards currently in the NHL, Bonino, Coyle, Chiasson and even Nieto may be more significant/valuable contributors to their respective teams right now than Wilson. Now in his 6th pro season and 5th full NHL season, Wilson's development and production has flatlined. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a bust, but Wilson hasn't produced to the levels expected of a 7th overall pick.

When he left BU, I thought it was the right time for Wilson to move on. He looked NHL-ready to me. I think the combo of the previous coach's system, the season-ending injury in 2012-13, and perhaps not wanting "it" as bad as others have contributed to his stalled progress in Nashville right now. Hopefully he can turn it around as this season progresses and start demonstrating flashes of what's been expected of him for long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                No offense, but what substances were you abusing in 2009? Wilson was the difference makes - the player that makes everybody on the ice better. Same thing Drury did and what Eichel is doing now. Who, praytell, was a better player on the 2009 squad than Wilson???
                For my money, Wilson was the best player on the 2009 team. Flat out dominant. He had a breakout season in 2012-13 with 19 points in 25 games. I know he had lingering groin issues at BU and I wonder if those have followed him to the pros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  No offense, but what substances were you abusing in 2009? Wilson was the difference makes - the player that makes everybody on the ice better. Same thing Drury did and what Eichel is doing now. Who, praytell, was a better player on the 2009 squad than Wilson???
                  #13 and I'd add Gilroy and Shattenkirk. If you count goalies, I'd say Millan, too. And that's not dissing Wilson. He was a beast in the Beanpot comeback over BC.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                    #13 and I'd add Gilroy and Shattenkirk. If you count goalies, I'd say Millan, too. And that's not dissing Wilson. He was a beast in the Beanpot comeback over BC.
                    Again, I think you've been taking too much advantage of legalized weed. While I thought Wilson deserved the Hobey over Gilroy but didn't get it due to Gilroy being a senior and team captain, gimme a break on the rest of them. That team revolved around Wilson during the championship year. Look no further than when he took over the game in the FF against VT.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

http://sbnation.com/e/6977850

Game Preview: BU at Maine
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

According to @BOShockeyblog:

"Quinn said Ahti Oksanen will be in the lineup Friday against Maine. Also noted Robbie Baillargeon and Nikolas Olsson will be unavailable."

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                          According to @BOShockeyblog:

"Quinn said Ahti Oksanen will be in the lineup Friday against Maine. Also noted Robbie Baillargeon and Nikolas Olsson will be unavailable."
                          Not surprised on Olsson. He was holding his hand funny before he got tossed for the hit from behind. What's Baillargeon's ailment?
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            Not surprised on Olsson. He was holding his hand funny before he got tossed for the hit from behind. What's Baillargeon's ailment?
                            I also read Olsson had flu-like symptoms Friday so that could be it. Don't know on Robbie, he hasn't played well lately so perhaps it's a game off to clear his head a bit?
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Again, I think you've been taking too much advantage of legalized weed. While I thought Wilson deserved the Hobey over Gilroy but didn't get it due to Gilroy being a senior and team captain, gimme a break on the rest of them. That team revolved around Wilson during the championship year. Look no further than when he took over the game in the FF against VT.
                              I'm not alone if putting Bonino ahead of Wilson, both then and now. And in any case, as great as that team was, it needed everyone to win the championship. The UNH game was a squeaker. So was VT. And even after Cohen made it 3-2 in the final, they still needed another. I remember Higgins holding the puck on the end boards, waiting, waiting, as the seconds ticked down. Then he slides a smooth pass to Gilroy, who instead of taking the shot, spots Bonino over on his right, and Nick nails. The rest, as they say, is history.

As for prior weed use, if there ever was a season that required something stupifying, it was last year.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                                I'm not alone if putting Bonino ahead of Wilson, both then and now.
                                Any time I think back to that team I always put Wilson ahead of Bonino. I think part of it has to do with their style of play. Wilson was a power forward while Bonino was more finesse. I feel like Wilson was more of a "get the job done" kinda player while Bonino sometimes overthought things and as we all know you "don't think about it, just do it." I specifically remember one game where Bonino skated two laps around the entire perimeter of the offensive zone while carrying the puck looking for the right pass or shot. Part of the impression that Bonino wasn't as good certainly came from the 2009-2010 season where he only put up 11 goals whereas Wilson went out as a sophomore who led the team in points in a championship year.

Comment

Working...
                                X