• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreddyFoyle
    replied
    Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
    In theory.. that may be partially correct... but still, there is a nasty smell coming from Canadian Junior Hockey and I still think there is another agenda in the mix. Just my take
    I think you're giving the CHL too much credit. Hockey Canada is ultimately responsible for the Under-20 team, and they are under intense pressure to deliver a gold medal team every year. I know - I'm one of those fans that has watched every Canadian game of every World Junior tournament every Christmas to New Years going back to the 80's, including getting up at 5:00 am to watch games from Europe. And there are millions of Canadians just like me.

The World Juniors are HUGE in Canada, second only to the Stanley Cup and the Olympics (which are every four years of course). If you're not a Canadian, I don't know if you can appreciate how big a deal it is north of the border. One small example: my sister and mother hardly ever watch an NHL game, even during the playoffs, but they hardly miss a World Junior game on TV ...

So like I said, tremendous pressure to get the team right. If a great player is in the NCAA, he plays, like Jonathan Toews -- who will forever be a hero in Canada for his World Juniors performance a few years ago. Team Canada even ignores the political niceties of trying to balance the WHL, OHL and QMJHL contribution evenly, and catches heat for it ... until the games are on and Canada is winning.

It is all that matters.
    Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaTruthinDaluth
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    Exactly right. You can add PW to that list. Team Canada would take the best if they thought it would give them a .0005% better chance of winning.

All things being exactly equal, they might lean towards a kid playing 70+/- games vs 30.

They didnt make it because they were not good enough. An honor to be part of the process but they didnt make it because the players ahead of them were better and or are performing better
    In theory.. that may be partially correct... but still, there is a nasty smell coming from Canadian Junior Hockey and I still think there is another agenda in the mix. Just my take

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    I'm pretty skeptical Leblanc and Olsen would have made it regardless of where they were playing. If they don't make it next year, maybe you could say something is fishy, but I don't think it's really out of line that they didn't make it this year.
    Exactly right. You can add PW to that list. Team Canada would take the best if they thought it would give them a .0005% better chance of winning.

All things being exactly equal, they might lean towards a kid playing 70+/- games vs 30.

They didnt make it because they were not good enough. An honor to be part of the process but they didnt make it because the players ahead of them were better and or are performing better

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

I'm pretty skeptical Leblanc and Olsen would have made it regardless of where they were playing. If they don't make it next year, maybe you could say something is fishy, but I don't think it's really out of line that they didn't make it this year.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

You're right, but when is the new College Hockey Czar going to start shooting back?
    ...as soon as he can find some bullets.

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

You're right, but when is the new College Hockey Czar going to start shooting back?
    I'd say he's off to a very good start.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...g-players.html

Leave a comment:

• DaTruthinDaluth
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    and/or is sending kids a message. 'You've got a headwind if you leave for the college and want to play for team canada.'

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

I think that Canadian Major Junior Hockey just slapped US College Hockey in the face once again with the Leblanc and Olsen cuts... not to mention the debacle with the Weircoch kid smacking of Canadian Junior Hockey administrators don't want to acknowledge that Tier II or Canadian College players are as talented as Major Junior players which promotes the US College market more than they would like.
    and/or is sending kids a message. 'You've got a headwind if you leave for the college and want to play for team canada.'

Leave a comment:

• DaTruthinDaluth
    replied

I think that Canadian Major Junior Hockey just slapped US College Hockey in the face once again with the Leblanc and Olsen cuts... not to mention the debacle with the Weircoch kid smacking of Canadian Junior Hockey administrators don't want to acknowledge that Tier II or Canadian College players are as talented as Major Junior players which promotes the US College market more than they would like.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    And on top of that, Patrick Wiercoch got screwed out of an invite in the first place.

Let's show those MJ pansies who's boss.
    Olsen (UMD)/cut, Wiercoch (DU)/screwed, Leblanc (Harvard)/cut = no college players on Team Canada. Blame the Canadian Idiots.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SDHMY9s3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SDHMY9s3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

The roster has been set, and the entire lineup is from the junior ranks.

Leave a comment:

• FreddyFoyle
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    "but would be if the team wasn't underperforming"

great logic there.....
    Well, almost every season UofS is a Top 10, if not Top 5, team in the CIS, but this year they seem to be having trouble digesting all of their recruits, and got off to a very slow start. They have a ton of talent on the team, and historically have been the only team to push, and sometime beat, Alberta for the Canada West conference championship.

So in other words, Saskatchewan it traditionally a very strong team (if a bit prone to take untimely penalties ...)

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

[ .

However, for fans of the CIS game (if there are many here) or university hockey in general, UofS is not even ranked in the Top 10 this year (but would be if the team wasn't underperforming) and Regina is a weak sister in last place in the Canada West conference.

]

"but would be if the team wasn't underperforming"

great logic there.....

Leave a comment:

• FreddyFoyle
    replied

Btw, last night Team Canada played a CIS team made up 10 players from the University of Saskatchewan Huskies and 10 from the Regina Cougars ... and lost 4-2!

Now a couple of provisos. Team Canada rested 8 or so players who already made the team, and they used the game to evaluate the roster for the final cuts. They also provided the three goalies who rotated though both sets of nets. The laugher was that the Canadian Press wire story called it a "CIS all-star team" while more properly it was a "CIS in the province of Saskatchewan all-star team ..." Team Canada outshot the CIS players, but their own goaltenders protected the CIS lead.

However, for fans of the CIS game (if there are many here) or university hockey in general, UofS is not even ranked in the Top 10 this year (but would be if the team wasn't underperforming) and Regina is a weak sister in last place in the Canada West conference.

So take the best parts of two CIS teams, older and more experienced (but a bit out of condition as they haven't played since the end of November due to exams) and they push the younger, more skilled "Golden Boys" all over the ice ...

The TSN game story is here: http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=302492

Leave a comment:

• RockTheWhit
    replied

I'm pretty excited to see the Windsor line of Hall, Henrique and Nemisz. Have read and heard a lot about those guys and I look forward to being able to actually see them in action. Hopefully they are kept together for this tournament.
    Also, how lucky is Brayden Schenn? He gets to play in the WJC in his hometown of Saskatoon, then five months later his Brandon Wheat Kings will host the Memorial Cup. Not many guys get a chance to play in both events, but he gets to play in his home town and then for the Memorial host team.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X