Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

    Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
    You're right, but when is the new College Hockey Czar going to start shooting back?
    I'd say he's off to a very good start.

    http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...g-players.html

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

      Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
      You're right, but when is the new College Hockey Czar going to start shooting back?
      ...as soon as he can find some bullets.
      Go Gophers!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

        I'm pretty skeptical Leblanc and Olsen would have made it regardless of where they were playing. If they don't make it next year, maybe you could say something is fishy, but I don't think it's really out of line that they didn't make it this year.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

        Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

        Western College Hockey Blog

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

          Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          I'm pretty skeptical Leblanc and Olsen would have made it regardless of where they were playing. If they don't make it next year, maybe you could say something is fishy, but I don't think it's really out of line that they didn't make it this year.
          Exactly right. You can add PW to that list. Team Canada would take the best if they thought it would give them a .0005% better chance of winning.

          All things being exactly equal, they might lean towards a kid playing 70+/- games vs 30.

          They didnt make it because they were not good enough. An honor to be part of the process but they didnt make it because the players ahead of them were better and or are performing better

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

            Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Exactly right. You can add PW to that list. Team Canada would take the best if they thought it would give them a .0005% better chance of winning.

            All things being exactly equal, they might lean towards a kid playing 70+/- games vs 30.

            They didnt make it because they were not good enough. An honor to be part of the process but they didnt make it because the players ahead of them were better and or are performing better
            In theory.. that may be partially correct... but still, there is a nasty smell coming from Canadian Junior Hockey and I still think there is another agenda in the mix. Just my take

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

              Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
              In theory.. that may be partially correct... but still, there is a nasty smell coming from Canadian Junior Hockey and I still think there is another agenda in the mix. Just my take
              I think you're giving the CHL too much credit. Hockey Canada is ultimately responsible for the Under-20 team, and they are under intense pressure to deliver a gold medal team every year. I know - I'm one of those fans that has watched every Canadian game of every World Junior tournament every Christmas to New Years going back to the 80's, including getting up at 5:00 am to watch games from Europe. And there are millions of Canadians just like me.

              The World Juniors are HUGE in Canada, second only to the Stanley Cup and the Olympics (which are every four years of course). If you're not a Canadian, I don't know if you can appreciate how big a deal it is north of the border. One small example: my sister and mother hardly ever watch an NHL game, even during the playoffs, but they hardly miss a World Junior game on TV ...

              So like I said, tremendous pressure to get the team right. If a great player is in the NCAA, he plays, like Jonathan Toews -- who will forever be a hero in Canada for his World Juniors performance a few years ago. Team Canada even ignores the political niceties of trying to balance the WHL, OHL and QMJHL contribution evenly, and catches heat for it ... until the games are on and Canada is winning.

              It is all that matters.
              Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM.
              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                So like I said, tremendous pressure to get the team right. If a great player is in the NCAA, he plays, like Jonathan Toews -- who will forever be a hero in Canada for his World Juniors performance a few years ago.
                Stupid Frazee. Can you stop a single shot from Toews?
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                  Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Stupid Frazee. Can you stop a single shot from Toews?
                  The correct answer is No.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

                  Fighting Sioux Hockey

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                    At least it gave Johnny the opportunity to swear on television. That was a plus.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                      Louis Leblanc came to camp with all of 8 games played this year. Blame his ridiculous ECAC schedule just the same way Riley Nash was so far behind his CHL counterparts last year at camp time.

                      Olsen was the last defenceman cut. My understanding is that it came down to him and Calvin de Haan.

                      this is the first time since 1997 (other than during the lockout and that don't count for obvious reasons) that there is zero NCAA content on Team Canada. There is no bias, but the NCAA guys are at a disadvantage because they play half as many games (or a quarter if you're ECAC) than the CHL guys.
                      The only Canadian Radio Show that gives a crap about U.S. college hockey: The Pipeline Show

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                        Originally posted by GuyF View Post
                        Louis Leblanc came to camp with all of 8 games played this year. Blame his ridiculous ECAC schedule just the same way Riley Nash was so far behind his CHL counterparts last year at camp time.

                        Olsen was the last defenceman cut. My understanding is that it came down to him and Calvin de Haan.

                        this is the first time since 1997 (other than during the lockout and that don't count for obvious reasons) that there is zero NCAA content on Team Canada. There is no bias, but the NCAA guys are at a disadvantage because they play half as many games (or a quarter if you're ECAC) than the CHL guys.
                        Guy:

                        You are a smart hockey man with a wonderful hockey show. You also have a better grasp of the US college game than most Canadians do.

                        But I think your answer here needs more scrutiny. Major Junior kids do play more games, but I don't think that really, in and of itself, puts anyone more ahead or behind anyone else. First, the uber talented player in either system is going to stand out no matter where he plays. Secondly, the NCAA players get more practice time than the major junior players do. When you talk to elite coaches, at least as many value practice time at this level as just as important as games for the development of the position player.

                        What it comes down to is this - Hockey Canada has a vested interest in developing the major junior player, because that is the primary development system in the country. I get that, and that's why there will always be more MJ players on Team Canada. That's what the NHL wants, that's what the CHL wants and that's the way it should be in Canada. There are also more major junior players to choose from than college players.

                        For the Canadian coaches, they will never be faulted for picking the MJ player over a college player. But if they do pick a college player, he really needs to be that much better to take the slot from an MJ guy competing for the same slot. The fact that only three college players were even invited to camp tells you everything you want to know about their preference for MJ players.

                        In other words, I don't think MJ players are more "ahead" of NCAA players by virtue of the number of games played - I think Hockey Canada chooses more of them because the talent pool is larger and because its in their interest to pick players from the development system in their own country.
                        Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                          Originally posted by GuyF View Post
                          There is no bias, but the NCAA guys are at a disadvantage because they play half as many games (or a quarter if you're ECAC) than the CHL guys.
                          Yeah, Toews certainly showed that disadvantage a few years ago. Same with Parise on the US team a few years before that.

                          I agree that I doubt there is a bias...most teams will want to pick the best players that will give them the best shot at winning. But I doubt the number of games plays any part of it. If a player is highly skilled like these youngsters are...playing in 40 games or 20 games isn't going to make that big of a difference at all.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

                          Fighting Sioux Hockey

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                            Crap, Swami beat me to it by a whole minute.
                            And his answer was more thought-out and better stated.

                            Once again, I bow to the Swami.
                            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

                            Fighting Sioux Hockey

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                              Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                              Crap, Swami beat me to it by a whole minute.
                              And his answer was more thought-out and better stated.
                              Its almost like watching Gwozdecky outcoaching Hakstol, but without the thrill of defeating North Dakota.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Team Canada cuts Harvard's Leblanc and UMD's Olsen

                                Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                                Its almost like watching Gwozdecky outcoaching Hakstol, but without the thrill of defeating North Dakota.
                                Nothing like that at all, but whatever.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

                                Fighting Sioux Hockey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X