Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    I know on paper BC is a good team but I gotta say they looked like crap today. They have talent but showed no heart at all. I thought SLU was a really week team. BC should of been able to put them away easily. SLU's PP (0-6) was the worst I think I've ever seen--I don't think they had more then 2-3 shots on the 6 tries.

BC has a good record but hasn't played anyone in the current top ten and only three teams in the top twenty. If BC plays like they did this afternoon DU will spank them nearly as bad as they spanked the Mavericks.
    I am pretty sure BC just got caught a little sluggish behind a backup goalie. They will play their ace tomorrow and will be a totally different team - count on it. DU doesn't play well on Saturdays, and will be in for the fight of their lives tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by breed View Post
      Expect lots of UNO Mav fans tonight - Look forward to playing the best and we will do that tonight!

GO MAVS!
      I would guess 50-100 UNO Red Army fans in the house tonight. They had a couple of nice cheers, but they got a little quiet when DU took the Maverick team to the woodshed. They are going to have a serious rivalry with DU as part of the WCHA, and being a only a day's drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        I am pretty sure BC just got caught a little sluggish behind a backup goalie. They will play their ace tomorrow and will be a totally different team - count on it. DU doesn't play well on Saturdays, and will be in for the fight of their lives tomorrow.
        Yep, I know all about Saturday night. I can see after the Eagles get reamed by York they will be a little more awake. I just didn't see the kind of talent that makes you say--Wow! These guys are good. UND this year or BU last year. Those guys came in here with three guys out at the WJ's and smoked us. I left that game thinking HS those guys are the real deal. BC aint the real deal--at least not the team we saw today. If I'm wrong I'll gladly admit it tomorrow night (wouldn't be the first time by a long shot).
        Last edited by MagnessMan; 01-02-2010, 12:21 AM.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Question - given the new format of this tournament, how is the winner determined? If BC beats Denver and UNO beats SLU, all 4 teams will be 1-1. Is it on goal differential?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Question - given the new format of this tournament, how is the winner determined? If BC beats Denver and UNO beats SLU, all 4 teams will be 1-1. Is it on goal differential?
            I believe it's record>total goals scored>differential.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Thanks to Mike Chambers for posting the tourney criteria in his Denver Post blog.

(From DU media relations): Here is the criteria used for determining the Wells Fargo Denver Cup champion in the showcase format:

1. The Denver Cup uses a showcase format where games are pre-determined prior to the start of the tournament. Awards will be presented immediately following the 7:07 pm game on Saturday 1/2. Each team will be recognized for their participation and an all tournament team and MVP will be awarded. The following formula will be used to determine the Denver Cup champion.

1. Win – loss – tie record (not taking shootouts into account)

If tied, the following tie-breakers, in order will be used:

o Win – loss record including result from shootout

o Head to head results

o Goal differential (GS-GA=GD)

o Fewest goals allowed

o Shootout differential (GS-GA=GD)

o If still tied – co-champions will be declared
              Last edited by du78; 01-02-2010, 10:47 AM.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Desired outcome:
                SLU loses
                DU wins

No tiebreakers needed
                GO DU !!!

Comment

U.S.A./Finland WJC game is the same time as the DU/BC game.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

I know on paper BC is a good team but I gotta say they looked like crap today. They have talent but showed no heart at all. I thought SLU was a really week team. BC should of been able to put them away easily. SLU's PP (0-6) was the worst I think I've ever seen--I don't think they had more then 2-3 shots on the 6 tries.

BC has a good record but hasn't played anyone in the current top ten and only three teams in the top twenty. If BC plays like they did this afternoon DU will spank them nearly as bad as they spanked the Mavericks.
                    While it pains me to read "no heart" in reference to this BC team I can't argue with you based on last nights performance. If that's what you saw then so be it. What I've seen so far this season is a team without a superstar that plays relentless, whistle to whistle hockey, is able to score in bunches and rarely lacks "heart". Their defense is young and still learning so occasionally prone to breakdown but the skill level often makes up for it. Milner has been a pleasant surprise and has played well. Most BC fans expected a win last night and I fear perhaps the players did too. Hopefully they will get their s*#t together tonight and play the type of game that those of us who follow them are quite sure they are capable of. Without question, I've been looking forward to this game for a while now and still am. I expect two strong, competetive teams out there tonight and will be surprised if that isn't what we see. Trust me, this BC team can play.
                    Last edited by jdevoejr; 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM.
                    sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Sounds about right about our PP. It has shown flashes of brilliance the past few , but has not been consistent at all during that period. I do, however, like seeing 6-7 on the PK, as that has been a major weak point as well so far this season, and uncharacteristically so. Hopefully the PP can click starting tonight, otherwise it could make for a long ECAC spring slate.

Comment

Gwoz's post-game comments about last night's game against UNO. Interview is about 9 minutes long. He explains why DU went to the showcase format. He has also some interesting comments about Patrick Wiercioch's and Joe Colborne's snubs by Hockey Canada and their lack of invitation/selections to the Team Canada WJC team. Also happy to see Anthony Maiani contribute in a big way last night after having a tough 1st half of the season. Link is below and it is free.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/newMed...00&oemid=18600
                        Last edited by du78; 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Congrats to DU on its beatdown of UNO last night. I think our team is capable of playing better, but that's not to take away from your big, fast, strong and talented guys. We'll be better next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
                            Congrats to DU on its beatdown of UNO last night. I think our team is capable of playing better, but that's not to take away from your big, fast, strong and talented guys. We'll be better next year.
                            I'll be cheering for you against SLU!
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              I'll be cheering for you against SLU!
                              I'll be cheering for BC against DU!

Comment

DU won the 2010 Wells Fargo Denver Cup with a come from behind 4-3 win over BC in a very exciting game between two of the nation's top teams. BC owned DU in the 1st period and led 1-0 after the 1st on a nice rebound shot. Gwoz let the players know he was not happy after the first and made some adjustments. DU played much better but BC got a fluke goal when an innocent shot from the point deflected off of a DU d-man in front of Chevy. BC led 2-0 after 2. DU began its comeback early in the 3rd with a long Rhett Rakhshani wrister that somehow eluded John Muse to cut the lead to 2-1. While DU was on a PP putting all sorts of pressure on Muse, John Gibbons came away with the puck and scored a beautiful shorty on Chevy to give BC a 3-1 lead. Later in the period DU won an offensive zone faceoff and got the puck back to the point to John Lee. He shot it at the net and Drew Shore tipped it in to make it BC 3 DU 2. Lee was originally credited with the goal which was later changed to Shore. Rhett Rakhshani poked one through a crowd to tie the game at 3 later in the 3rd period. Finally, Joe Colborne got the game winner on a rebound of a Rhett Rakhshani shot. Muse was pulled by Jerry York but DU held on for the win.
                                Last edited by du78; 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X