Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
    While it pains me to read "no heart" in reference to this BC team I can't argue with you based on last nights performance. If that's what you saw then so be it. What I've seen so far this season is a team without a superstar that plays relentless, whistle to whistle hockey, is able to score in bunches and rarely lacks "heart". Their defense is young and still learning so occasionally prone to breakdown but the skill level often makes up for it. Milner has been a pleasant surprise and has played well. Most BC fans expected a win last night and I fear perhaps the players did too. Hopefully they will get their s*#t together tonight and play the type of game that those of us who follow them are quite sure they are capable of. Without question, I've been looking forward to this game for a while now and still am. I expect two strong, competetive teams out there tonight and will be surprised if that isn't what we see. Trust me, this BC team can play.
    Great hockey game tonight. BC played with heart and were tenacious in their pursuit of the puck. DU didn't take them seriously in the first and Gwoz ripped them a new one in the intermission. BC ran out of gas in the third and DU came in and took it away. I give BC credit for playing an excellent game. It was great to watch two excellent coaches battle it out tonight. Rhett took it to a whole new level this weekend. He showed leadership that was exemplary.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

I gotta say, I think the thin air affected BC in the third period.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Random Denver Cup thoughts:

Tourney format: I love the showcase format. Sure, its not as straightforward and pure as elimination format, but winning the Denver Cup is nowhere near as important as Denver getting to pick their opponents for PWR purposes, TV purposes and enabling to get good teams to come here with guaranteed games that probably otherwise wouldn't show up in Denver. I also think that if the tourney moves to new dates next year as is rumored (not in the x-mas to New Years timeframe) that's probably a good thing, too. I'd like to see DU get to play in someone else's holiday tourney.

St. Lawrence: These guys play with a lot of heart, and while they were probably disappointed not to get a shot at DU for the Cup, I think they have to be thrilled with thumping BC in the opener. Great to see Toronto-based Hockey Guru Bob McKenzie's kid, Mike McKenzie, play here. The Saint's have a plug away kind of team, and are much better than the record indicates.

UNO: For such a senior-laden team, I expected a better performance from the Mavs vs DU. The Mavs have some speedy guys, but turnovers/puck control and goaltending did not serve them well. They competed better against SLU, where their speed really helped, but need some bigger players. I am sure the bus or plane ride back to Omaha will be filled a few jabs at the poor UNO player who fell down in the shootout without getting a shot off. Good to see the Red Army make the trip, and am looking forward to having UNO in the WCHA next year.

BC: After a flat, sluggish loss to SLU in the opener behind the backup netminder, BC showed everyone in Denver why they are a top 5 team. BC simply dominated Denver in the first period, practically skating our Pioneers right out of the building. They are such a young team, but they move the puck very well and limited DU to four measly shots in the first. In the second, BC also played well, as did Denver, but both teams didn't get rewarded for it. By the third period, Denver played with desperation, and BC probably got a little tired, as often happens at altitude. The game could have gone either way. Muse is a very hard goalie to beat, and BC's outside speed is really unnerving. Also a suprisingly mobile defense, too.

Denver: Good result for the Pios. The comeback win over BC will go a long way towards defining the season, and sets up some nice momentum for the second half. Rakhshani put the team on his back with his on-ice heroics, but more than that, established a strong sense of leadership as captain. Great leaders say "step up and follow me" and that's what he did. Heroics aside,
        DU played 4.5 good periods this weekend, and that was enough to land the hardware. DU needs to start better on Saturdays, plain and simple. No reason DU shouldn't have been jacked up from the drop of the puck - Prestigious top 5 opponent, full house, TV game, etc. Speaking of jacked up, it was great to see the Magness crowd get into the BC game in the third period without the students in the building. Good crowd chants, and a wonderful job by that guy who took his shirt off and whooped up the crowd. Not quite Sasquatch (the hairy BU fan who does the same thing in Boston), but a great first effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          BTW, if I ever want to watch Arkansas vs. East Carolina in football over #2 vs. #3 in the country in college hockey, I'm going to kill myself very quickly. For the poster that wrote that, might I suggest dousing yourself in gasoline and lighting yourself on fire. Just a suggestion.
          I thoroughly enjoyed Arkansas' overtime win over East Carolina in the Liberty Bowl. Evidently so did the 62,742 who showed up to watch. I noticed the UNO-SLU attendance didn't make it into the box score. I doubt it was as many as the 5,983 who made it to Magness for DU-BC game. Looks like a lot more people were interested in football.

I tried to watch the DU-BC game on FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, but found the Texas Tech comeback over Sparty much more intriguing. Glad I didn't waste my time or money on the hockey tournament.
          Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 01-03-2010, 12:04 PM.
          2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
          2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
          Air Force Falcons
          2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
          2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
          2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
          2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
          2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
            I thoroughly enjoyed Arkansas' overtime win over East Carolina in the Liberty Bowl. Evidently so did the 62,742 who showed up to watch. I noticed the UNO-SLU attendance didn't make it into the box score. I doubt it was as many as the 5,983 who made it to Magness for DU-BC game. Looks like a lot more people were interested in football.

I tried to watch the DU-BC game on FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, but found the Texas Tech comeback over Sparty much more intriguing. Glad I didn't waste my time or money on the hockey tournament.
            Yes, I'm sure it was football that they were much more interested in. I don't know why anybody who simply cheers for Denver would really want to go see SLU/UNO in a game they probably wouldn't truly care about, but rather watch the very intriguing football games that were on TV yesterday.

Comment

just wanted to say a kind word to all the DU fans that post on this and other threads. Great team, great fans, it was a pleasure reading all of your posts and also thanks for the words of encouragement to BC fans and their team. you guys are a classy bunch, i have a new team to root for out west! Best of luck to the Pioneers and their fans!

Comment

Working...
              X