X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Re: The Official 2010 Denver Cup Thread: DU, BC, UNO, SLU

This should be a good weekend for SLU to play some good competition out west and see what happens. Our OOC schedule has been considerably less challenging than usual years, likely in part to Joe Marsh realizing we would be pretty young and not having a major part of our scoring like last year.

We've been semi-rotating 3 goalies so far this year, but nobody has stepped up to snag #1 yet. Scoring has also been somewhat inconsistent with no "go-to" guy really. SLU will bring a solid effort however all game long, and plays an entertaining, wide open style of hockey. Will all games be covered on TV?

Leave a comment:

• TonyTheTiger20
    replied

Originally posted by Moose98 View Post
    Cool city for those making the trip. Plenty of things to see and bars to hit downtown.
    I was at the Denver FF. LOVED the city, it was really a fantastic time. Can't say enough good things about that trip.

Leave a comment:

• Moose98
    replied

Cant wait for these games. Haven't gotten a chance to see the team in person yet this year but Denver just happens to be in my backyard now

Cool city for those making the trip. Plenty of things to see and bars to hit downtown.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_NH
    replied

BC has (to me at least) been a huge surprise this season. But happily, so has BU

Leave a comment:

• AFHockeyFan
    replied

Been to one game at Magness--won't happen again. Worst fans in college hockey. Say whatever you want about me or my team. Leave my wife out of it. And, what self-respecting hockey program has a carving table at the rink? Too good for burgers and dogs?

If not for that, I might have gone to see one of the UNO games. Then again:
    Friday, Jan 1:
    4:35 Rose Bowl: Oregon vs. Ohio State
    7:35 Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Cincinnati

Saturday, Jan 2:
    4:05 Liberty Bowl: Arkansas vs. ECU
    7:05 Alamo Bowl: Michigan State vs. Texas Tech

If any of those are blowouts, I might flip over to FoxSports Rocky Mountain.

Leave a comment:

• TonyTheTiger20
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Check Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue - both fly straight to Denver from Logan, usually inexpensively.
    Nothing's going to be cheap on New Years Day

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Definitely a lot of respect for the Denver team. I would love to see DU make a trip east in the future.

This could very well be a FF preview.

I was having an argument with myself, trying to find a reason to NOT make the trip out west. Bus could get me there cheap, but I ended up deciding that being home for New Years trumped a 40 hour bus ride
    Check Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue - both fly straight to Denver from Logan, usually inexpensively.

Leave a comment:

• TonyTheTiger20
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    BC is a program that certainly commands a lot of respect and gate appeal out here in Denver.
    Definitely a lot of respect for the Denver team. I would love to see DU make a trip east in the future.

This could very well be a FF preview.

I was having an argument with myself, trying to find a reason to NOT make the trip out west. Bus could get me there cheap, but I ended up deciding that being home for New Years trumped a 40 hour bus ride

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
    Why did they change the format?
    Most likely for PWR reasons. As host, Gwoz likely wants to make sure DU gets to play the teams of his choosing and not leave the matchups to chance or to the reality of playing important games with missing key players on World Junior duty.

In fact, I would not be surprised to see further future changes to this tournament so that it's no longer played near Christmas/New Years. These NC games are too important to play with a depleted squad on only a day or two of practice.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

The tourney is in Magness Arena on the campus of DU, not downtown at the Pepsi Center where the NCAA Regionals and Frozen Four were held a few years ago. It is about a 15 to 20 minute car ride to downtown depending on the traffic or the light rail will take you from the campus to downtown.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

any bc fans making the trip, make sure to checkout the dugout. its a short walk from the downtown arena and the owner is a big boston fan.

Leave a comment:

• dave29
    replied

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    New format this year. Its a showcase instead of a tournament.

Obviously Jerry York was not pleased with flying halfway across the country to play Princeton in the Denver Cup championship game in 2005.
    Why did they change the format?

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    BC/DU should be a sweet matchup. Really wish I was in Denver to see this one in person.

Denver is one of my favorite teams out west, mostly because the DU fans that I know are classy peeps. Props to you bloggers that paid for the ice time back in 2008 at Magness. Fun rink to skate in, just wish I could see a game there and enjoy the experience.
    It was our pleasure to host the USCHO posters' game at Magness in 2008. It was the least we could do in our own backyard.

And don't be surprised to see BC coming out to Magness again in future years beyond this year. BC is a program that certainly commands a lot of respect and gate appeal out here in Denver.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

BC/DU should be a sweet matchup. Really wish I was in Denver to see this one in person.

Denver is one of my favorite teams out west, mostly because the DU fans that I know are classy peeps. Props to you bloggers that paid for the ice time back in 2008 at Magness. Fun rink to skate in, just wish I could see a game there and enjoy the experience.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
    The Wiercioch news is very disappointing as he is well thought of by Team Canada! Hope the knee strain in quick to heel.
    It was healed well enough that he played close to 30 minutes against UMD the night before he went to Regina. Seems to me Team Canada had a large amount of players in their camp and using the medical team to not clear him was an easy way to reduce the roster right away. The DU medical team and Team Canada medical team were in constant contact about Patrick's medical status before he went to Regina. Seems a bit odd to not clear him after all that was done to get him ready to go to Regina. Reports are that the TC medical staff's diagnosis was the same. DU's med staff cleared him to play and he did, TC's didn't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X