Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Re: WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Bought the day pass for today's games since I don't have the Fox Sports College channels on my Comcast lineup. (And spending $9 is less hassle than sitting an hour on the phone with Comcast to have them add the package just for a game or two.)

The video feed is a bit jerky. Definitely not as bad as the Wildcat Night Across the Country, but a little bit of a stutter to the feed. Almost like it could be a sync issue with the frame rate. Fast motion also gets pixelated (very noticeable when the Fox Sports graphic fills the screen).

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Tonight the streaming is working better, except that the video feed keeps pausing, like something is out of sync or their tubes aren't big enough to handle the Wildcat Night across the Country demand. Audio is unaffected.

Really disappointed with how awful the service degraded this year.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

I had no problems with the WCHA.tv feed in January, but haven't had a chance to buy a game since.

Just bought the NMU at MTU game for tonight, and I'd like to say... what a giant pile of steaming sh*t this service is. It took most of the first period for me to get the iPad streaming to kinda work. I can't watch it "Live" because after one second the video feed freezes while the audio keeps playing. After about five/six seconds of this, the video feed rewinds to the very beginning of the feed.

Then it froze and I had to restart it, and I can't get the video feed to load again. It keeps making me want to watch the video feed from the start.

What a steaming pile.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    I still have to think that with the public TV and many of the WCHA Universities, Lakeland and Mankato, heck KUAC in Fairbanks, that the technology out there that WHY the WCHA can't keep it in-house, and cut out the middle man...It ain't rocket science((oh await gotta think UAH could bring some stuff to the party))...Tell America One--Eversport bye bye

Keep costs down and get a better product out there....

New commish should have connections at FOX Sport North for ideas too...
    AmericaONE and Eversport are providing access to Content Delivery Networks (CDNs). I think that Eversport uses Akamai. Could the league roll their own and cut out the middle man? Probably yes, but it would probably be more expensive than using an extant provider.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• fairbanks hockey puck
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I am fervently hoping that the league makes enough money from TV and that the future tv stuff looks bright enough that some of our teams take a second look and decide staying makes sense.
    I still have to think that with the public TV and many of the WCHA Universities, Lakeland and Mankato, heck KUAC in Fairbanks, that the technology out there that WHY the WCHA can't keep it in-house, and cut out the middle man...It ain't rocket science((oh await gotta think UAH could bring some stuff to the party))...Tell America One--Eversport bye bye

Keep costs down and get a better product out there....

New commish should have connections at FOX Sport North for ideas too...

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

I am fervently hoping that the league makes enough money from TV and that the future tv stuff looks bright enough that some of our teams take a second look and decide staying makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    It helps when the local PBS station has invested in the programming/equipment for their broadcasts.
    The only minor quibble I have is that the score for each team is on the opposite ends of the screen. It's like:
    2 Alaska-Anchorage - Bemidji State 3

It's weird to me because typically the scores are close together so that eyes can quickly glance at it and then focus back on the action.

I believe know Geof has suggested that it would be great if one of our local stations would invest in broadcasting UAH games on its secondary digital channel (WHNT2 for example). That'd be nice.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    The friends of mine who watched the UAH broadcast from home last night flipped over to the Bemidji broadcast and were floored by how good it was.

GFM
    It helps when the local PBS station has invested in the programming/equipment for their broadcasts.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    My wife made the comment that the Bemidji broadcast on Lakeland TV looks much better than it has in the past. It seems like we're getting legit HD now.
    The friends of mine who watched the UAH broadcast from home last night flipped over to the Bemidji broadcast and were floored by how good it was.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

My wife made the comment that the Bemidji broadcast on Lakeland TV looks much better than it has in the past. It seems like we're getting legit HD now.

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf Fan
    replied

Watched the Bemidji broadcast tonight. Excellent feed. Rewound one time for maybe 3 seconds. Other than that the feed was perfect.
    Not HD but what the heck.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I'm really sorry to everyone that had to watch tonight's UAH broadcast. I'm at home myself, and I'm watching, and ... this is terrible.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
    Does that mean that he's done after this season?
    I was told that we'd revisit things in the offseason, which I take to mean that I was the right guy before the season (when I turned it down), and I might be the right guy next year, but I'm not right now even when, well, my broadcasts were demonstrably better.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• stuckinwi
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I want to apologize in advance to fans of Ferris State and Alaska, because the University has decided to let Chris "Harry Caray" Davis finish out the season in the broadcasting booth.

GFM
    Does that mean that he's done after this season?

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I want to apologize in advance to fans of Ferris State and Alaska, because the University has decided to let Chris "Harry Caray" Davis finish out the season in the broadcasting booth.

GFM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X