Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Matt had a followup. For those of you who have had problems, would you give me a full breakdown of the hardware/software chain you use to watch games? Heck, that would be good for success.

As an example: I use Google Chrome (v.39) on a 2011 MacBook Air running OS 10.10.1. I use a Chromecast to take the video stream from my Air and push it to my TV over my local WiFi. I have very good success with this setup. I know that others of you are trying platforms like an iPad, Apple TV, Android tablet, and other avenues to watch games with varying success. If you'd peck out a brief example of what you use and what problems (if any) that you have, as well as where you're watching the games (for me, Huntsville), this will help the league go to Eversport and say, "You suck here and here and here."

Thanks.

Geof
    I bought the half-season package tonight. Sitting in a Holiday Inn Express I tried watching the BG-Alaska game. I have an ASUS Tablet (Android) and the first two periods worked absolutely great. Third period, not so much. Audio was fine. Picture kept freezing. It'd play for about 30 seconds and then freeze for 5 minutes. Didn't get to watch any action for more than 30 seconds at a time in the third. The audio worked almost perfectly the entire third period. To watch on an Android device, you have to download the Hook app.

Comment

• Re: WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Watching tonight via iPad -> Airplay -> AppleTV.

Picture looks great, and no audio/video sync issues so far tonight. NMU game looked to be HD-esque. Maybe it was the compression, but it wasn't quite what I get with MLB.tv/NHL GCL. But... I'm not complaining since the video feed seemed to be miles better than I saw earlier this year.

I threw on the BSU/UAH game just to watch a little of other league games since the NMU/MTU game ended, and WOW, is the LPTV/BSU feed amazing. Quality looks fantastic from Bemidji. What a well put together production! Mankato's is good too, but it doesn't feel quite as polished.

Makes the NMU feed embarrassing to watch.

I do love the WCHA score clock used by most of the teams, PP/PK clock would be nice, but I won't complain about that either.

Thought about purchasing the half season package, but I won't be home enough to take advantage of it.

The only dislike I have is that when switching the video feeds I need to keep logging in.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Thanks for jumping in, all. I've had good success with Google Chrome —> Chromecast —> TV. You can actually watch a second game in another Chrometab, but swapping tabs in the stream is not anything like instantaneous. That said, I watched the last 6:00 or so of MTU-NMU during intermission of UAH-BSU and was very happy with it. It's close to HD, but not perfect, but it's pretty indistinguishable on the size TV I was using. We'll see what things are like when I get the 73" projector back up and running.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
          I bought the half-season package tonight. Sitting in a Holiday Inn Express I tried watching the BG-Alaska game. I have an ASUS Tablet (Android) and the first two periods worked absolutely great. Third period, not so much. Audio was fine. Picture kept freezing. It'd play for about 30 seconds and then freeze for 5 minutes. Didn't get to watch any action for more than 30 seconds at a time in the third. The audio worked almost perfectly the entire third period. To watch on an Android device, you have to download the Hook app.
          Saturday's feed worked much better until OT started. Got real choppy again. I almost wonder if that may be because more people turned to the game to watch since it was in OT. If that's the case, the problem wouldn't be on the school's end.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
            Saturday's feed worked much better until OT started. Got real choppy again. I almost wonder if that may be because more people turned to the game to watch since it was in OT. If that's the case, the problem wouldn't be on the school's end.
            Akamai can handle traffic pretty well, and the school only pushes to Akamai.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I just received a mass e-mail from America One:

WCHA.tv Single Day passes have been reduced in cost for the remainder of the season to just $8!
              I just wish it was easier to switch between games, but a 33% price cut is pretty good!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Watching tonight via iPad -> Airplay -> AppleTV.

Picture looks great, and no audio/video sync issues so far tonight. NMU game looked to be HD-esque. Maybe it was the compression, but it wasn't quite what I get with MLB.tv/NHL GCL. But... I'm not complaining since the video feed seemed to be miles better than I saw earlier this year.

I threw on the BSU/UAH game just to watch a little of other league games since the NMU/MTU game ended, and WOW, is the LPTV/BSU feed amazing. Quality looks fantastic from Bemidji. What a well put together production! Mankato's is good too, but it doesn't feel quite as polished.

Makes the NMU feed embarrassing to watch.

I do love the WCHA score clock used by most of the teams, PP/PK clock would be nice, but I won't complain about that either.

Thought about purchasing the half season package, but I won't be home enough to take advantage of it.

The only dislike I have is that when switching the video feeds I need to keep logging in.
                The NMU feed was good... but the MTU one the next night was just BAD
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I just received a mass e-mail from America One:

WCHA.tv Single Day passes have been reduced in cost for the remainder of the season to just $8!
                  I just wish it was easier to switch between games, but a 33% price cut is pretty good!
                  Yeah, how would you like it to work? I agree, but I haven't figured out a best way to do it myself.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Yeah, how would you like it to work? I agree, but I haven't figured out a best way to do it myself.

GFM
                    I'd just want it to remember that I'm logged in and switch the feed. But, I think you mentioned that it's their method of preventing login sharing.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'd just want it to remember that I'm logged in and switch the feed. But, I think you mentioned that it's their method of preventing login sharing.
                      And you're on an iPad, right? Sounds like there's a cookie-handling problem going on with their responsiveness to that platform. I don't have any switching problems on a desktop browser.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        And you're on an iPad, right? Sounds like there's a cookie-handling problem going on with their responsiveness to that platform. I don't have any switching problems on a desktop browser.

GFM
                        iPad makes it impossible to switch from my experience, toss in my username being my email at 20ish characters and my password being 10... I'm only logging in once.
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                          iPad makes it impossible to switch from my experience, toss in my username being my email at 20ish characters and my password being 10... I'm only logging in once.
                          Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                          I would guess a cookie issue too. Their help responder Nicola did mention that there was a known issue with iOS 7 and Safari that they were working on. Their recommendation was to download Chrome to try and get around it.

It's not a big issue that will prevent me from using their product; I just chalk it up to "I'm too lazy, it's not a critical problem."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

What is Lake State's feed like? With it being $8, I may take a gamble and purchase one (or both) of the BSU games this weekend.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              What is Lake State's feed like? With it being $8, I may take a gamble and purchase one (or both) of the BSU games this weekend.
                              how many road games do you have left?
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                how many road games do you have left?
                                Lake State
                                Tech
                                Northern
                                Ferris

But Family commitments won't allow all of those. So it is more of a last minute thing.

Plus the North Star Cup, but that is on TV.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X