Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I Chromecast WCHA.tv by pulling it up in Chrome and using their extension. It works flawlessly save for the fact that there's a 1-second delay from your laptop (which keeps showing the video) to your TV. Putting it in your line-of-sight will make things look strange.

GFM
    hmm, guess I never tried it this year...I couldn't get it last year.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
      I can't think of any reason WHY the WCHA cannot run the video streaming within themselves. Lakeland TV in Bemidji does a fantastic job. Most schools have public tv outlets right on campus and I have to think the technology should be . Why $$$farm$$ it out to what it appears to be two to three parties from producing the product to billing the customers.

I still think a split audio feed...home and away...would be nice...
      Split audio is a neat thing that we have considered in the past, it's just hit or miss getting the away school to agree to give you an audio feed.

It does always come down to the money. I know our athletics department is being pushed to come up with as much revenue as they can from every source they can, at any cost. The argument that we made to drop the paid streaming contracts was mainly based on alumni good will. For RPI, hockey is our big sport, and there are lots of students who go to games. When they graduate, not all of them are going to be willing to pay $8+ a game for a crappy feed (we gave the streaming company a 1080p feed, they downscaled it to something like 360p), but a lot more of them would probably watch the games if they were free. The alumni who watched the games are going to be more likely to still feel connected to the school, and more willing to open up their wallets when they get called to donate. We now have alumni chapters all over the country who schedule events around the major games each year.
      Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
        I can't think of any reason WHY the WCHA cannot run the video streaming within themselves. Lakeland TV in Bemidji does a fantastic job. Most schools have public tv outlets right on campus and I have to think the technology should be . Why $$$farm$$ it out to what it appears to be two to three parties from producing the product to billing the customers.

I still think a split audio feed...home and away...would be nice...
        Judging by the varied feeds that I saw last year (I haven't watched everyone yet), that's just not the case. UAH doesn't have a broadcast communications department, and we also don't have a local school that does like Mankato has with Bethany Lutheran. We've also always been a single-camera (coach's cam) production, and last year was the first time that we consistently had two voices on the broadcast (neither of which were any good). Alabama Public Television would never partner with us on this kind of thing (they re-broadcast all programming across all stations), and I don't think that any of the TV stations would be airing it on their secondary tuners (which is pretty crazy, because UAH >>>> M*A*S*H re-runs, and I love that show) without getting their equipment involved, which would be too expensive. I know from watching it that Lake Superior is probably in much the same boat (their broadcast is worse than ours).

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I know from watching it that Lake Superior is probably in much the same boat (their broadcast is worse than ours). - GFM
          I didn't think LSSU was that bad... if you wanted to know where the puck WAS a second earlier, rather than where it currently IS located on the rink.

With the speed of hockey, you really need someone who either knows the game or plays the game to anticipate the action and put the camera where it needs to be. If you try to follow the puck rather than anticipate, viewers will get seasick (and not just because they are Lakers).

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Ivan responded to my email to EverSport support. Ivan is the customer support representative team lead for Inplayer in London... Their specialty is "monetizing digital content"... What a cluster....

The good news is they promised to refund 20% of my season package price plus the foreign transaction fee (once I provide documentation of the fee). It's supposed to be credited on the 15th of the month. We'll see.

The moral of the story - Everyone experiencing crummy broadcasts should sent them a note requesting a refund. Few things will get their attention like having to give back money. Let's call it de-monetization....

Comment

Originally posted by tomthumb View Post
              Ivan responded to my email to EverSport support. Ivan is the customer support representative team lead for Inplayer in London... Their specialty is "monetizing digital content"... What a cluster....

The good news is they promised to refund 20% of my season package price plus the foreign transaction fee (once I provide documentation of the fee). It's supposed to be credited on the 15th of the month. We'll see.

The moral of the story - Everyone experiencing crummy broadcasts should sent them a note requesting a refund. Few things will get their attention like having to give back money. Let's call it de-monetization....
              I'm happy you're receiving a refund.
              That does not solve the problem.
              The problem is an inferior product at an inflated price.
              The new commissioner needs to do a better job or we need a newer commissioner to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                The new commissioner needs to do a better job or we need a newer commissioner to do the job.
                Actually we just need to see our current commissioner in higher resolution...
                Ryan J

Comment

Is anyone else having trouble with the full screen function for archived games. When I go to full screen the screen gets slightly larger but moves to the upper left with a large white band below and to the right. I sent a message to the provider and they said they are working on it so it must be a known problem. It has worked at times and when I go back to watch even a game that worked previously it acts up?
                  One plus is they finally got the games to play on Android devices. Just got it going for this past weekend.
                  Like many on here I am disappointed with the video quality and have sent an email to the WCHA info email. Like others; no response.
                  Way less bang for the buck this year compared to last. Hope they get there act together. I wish I could find Commissioner Robertson's podcast where he states his 3 goals as commissioner of the WCHA; can't remember exactly how he stated them but I am fairly certian he is failing on at least one point with this WCHA.TV debacle.

Comment

Direct from the Michigan Tech AD:

Tim -
                    Thank you for the email. We continue to work with America One to solve the issue as we are frustrated as well. As many customers have pointed out, we know that our feed to America One is much better quality then what is streamed to you. The intra-squad game, as well as the other sports productions that we are doing, are proof of this.

We have a call scheduled with America One tomorrow. We are hopeful that we can find resolution and improve the quality.

Warmest regards and Go Huskies!

Suzanne
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ah, so it's a form letter. (I got the same letter). Well at least its good to hear that what Tech can provide IS better than what we are seeing. Hopefully they can work out a way with America1 to get it to the end user.
                      Ryan J

Comment

I got the same letter as well. Also got a response from the WCHA which wasn't much of a response:

First, we truly appreciate your support of WCHA hockey.

The WCHA and America ONE Sports/EverSport are focused on providing as many broadcasts in HD as possible this season. Some of our venues have limitations, including some unforeseen; as a result, we are unable to deliver all games in HD.

We are diligently working with our partners and member institutions to provide the highest quality broadcasts possible throughout the 2014-15 season.

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
                          I got the same letter as well. Also got a response from the WCHA which wasn't much of a response:
                          I haven't gotten a response from Eversport yet about my request for a partial refund.

All I know is that the WCHA really punted on this one ruining most of the goodwill from last season but increasing the price and not getting a quality company to run this endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
                            we are unable to deliver all games in HD...
                            Ahh, hello WCHA - your current provider is unable to deliver ANY games in HD.
                            Ryan J

Comment

I got a form reply from "Eversport" (Inplayer, whoever that is) today. I requested, and received*, a 20% refund on the full season package.

Thank you for contacting us.
                              The WCHA and America ONE Sports/EverSport are focused on providing as many broadcasts in HD as possible this season. Some of our venues have limitations, including some unforeseen; as a result, we are unable to deliver all games in HD.
                              We are diligently working with our partners and member institutions to provide the highest quality broadcasts possible throughout the 2014-15 season.
                              * As a compensation for the technical problems we decided to settle partial refunds twice a month and your refund of 20% will be processed on Nov 15th.
                              We will get back to you when this is completed and we apologize for the inconvenience.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Svetlana
                              Svetlana Tasevska
                              Customer Support Representative
                              phone: +44 20 795 202 80
                              phone: +1 84 55 76 58 82
                              email: svetlana@inplayer.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                I got a form reply from "Eversport" (Inplayer, whoever that is) today. I requested, and received*, a 20% refund on the full season package.

Thank you for contacting us.
                                * As a compensation for the technical problems we decided to settle partial refunds twice a month and your refund of 20% will be processed on Nov 15th.
                                We will get back to you when this is completed and we apologize for the inconvenience.
                                Kind Regards,
                                Svetlana
                                Svetlana Tasevska
                                Customer Support Representative
                                phone: +44 20 795 202 80
                                phone: +1 84 55 76 58 82
                                email: svetlana@inplayer.com
                                I got the same thing...I love how the school blames AmericaOne and Eversport blames the school.

Comment

Working...
                                X