Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Sounds like BSU's feed on Saturday night wasn't good, at least looking at the conversation over on Siouxsports.com. BSU pushed out a really good feed last year, especially with Lakeland Public TV pushing out a HD signal with their over the air broadcast. It sounds like the canned response from the company is that it is always a low bandwidth issue from the arena, not on their end. Kind of makes me wonder when all the arenas in the WCHA are to blame.......

By the sounds of things, I am glad I didn't fork over money for the package. For BSU home games, I will either be there or catch them four different ways from my couch (three Minnesota Public Television stations over the air or on DirecTV), and I can listen to Schultzie call the road games on the Beaver Radio Network.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      I'd like to do a post about wcha.tv quality on my blog. I think it's overpriced and obviously there are tons of quality issues. UAA isn't using High Def cameras either. Wasn't it advertised to be High Def or promoted somehow that it was going to be. Can we compile a list of issues succinctly as possible and all agree on them and I'll do some "legwork" by talking to UAA's AD and try to get someone at the WCHA to answer questions then write it up for my blog and cross post to here.

Or is that all just spitting in the wind?
      I think it's a great idea. As a Tech fan that was out of town last weekend... I only watched the LSSU/Tech games a few weeks ago. No issues Friday night live... but Saturday I tried to watch the archive and could not find it easily. Why do can't I get to if from the WCHA site? And... It said on Friday's archive home audio only. Does that mean I can get away audio? That would be pretty awesome, because it's not a MTU hockey weekend with Dirk getting all high pitched for a goal.

Also.... It's nice to have the anger directed at an outside source for a change...
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Wasn't it advertised to be High Def or promoted somehow that it was going to be...
        From the WCHA.TV page:
        "LIVE WCHA HOCKEY, ALL SEASON LONG: This season, fans can watch up to 185 WCHA games live and in high definition via WCHA.TV, powered by EverSport.TV. "
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

What's their definition of High Definition? They could be holding their word by providing you with a 1280x720, 1920x1080, or larger picture. The source material may not be HD, but they're technically providing you with an HD picture.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
            I think it's a great idea. As a Tech fan that was out of town last weekend... I only watched the LSSU/Tech games a few weeks ago. No issues Friday night live... but Saturday I tried to watch the archive and could not find it easily. Why do can't I get to if from the WCHA site? And... It said on Friday's archive home audio only. Does that mean I can get away audio? That would be pretty awesome, because it's not a MTU hockey weekend with Dirk getting all high pitched for a goal.

Also.... It's nice to have the anger directed at an outside source for a change...

I'm with ya...seems that if you are going to fork over the money, you should be able to get dual audio...the home or away broadcasters...it can be done and should be done....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
              I'm with ya...seems that if you are going to fork over the money, you should be able to get dual audio...the home or away broadcasters...it can be done and should be done....
              Not to mention they got rid of the best feature they had, picture in picture.
              I want to see how it looks when michigan tech is at home but that won't be until Halloween weekend. That's a long time to hold off on complaining about $160.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Not to mention they got rid of the best feature they had, picture in picture.
                I want to see how it looks when michigan tech is at home but that won't be until Halloween weekend. That's a long time to hold off on complaining about $160.
                Yeah, I won't need the streaming for that weekend myself. I'll get to be pointing and laughing at the funny helmets in person.
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

At this point, from what I've read within this thread, I'm glad I haven't spent any money on the new EverSport deal. From the beginning, with the offshore charging issue and now with the viewing issues (HD, iPad, archive, etc.) it doesn't sound like a very good viewing experience. Last year I had little to no problems with AmericaOne's season long package. This year it sounds, from many of you, like it's not so great. Should I hold off putting any money down on EverSport until they've worked out the various problems or should I test it out by doing a single game during this weekends NMU vs Wisco series?

So far, it doesn't sound to me like WCHA.TV is a very good product.
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I haven't had a chance to check it out (been busy the last two weekends), and I'll miss it this weekend since we'll be at home (although maybe I'll catch a late/archived game on Friday night), but man, this sounds like a train wreck.

As for fasthockey on Roku, that would be a great option if the money works. FH has already worked out the infrastructure problems and is, as you note, on multiple platforms.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      What's their definition of High Definition?
                      It's very high.
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

WCHA TV is getting one chance to impress me. If it sucks, there's no second chance. Bugs should have been worked out before they put the product on the shelf. If my credit card is charged by some company from Outer Slobovia and hit with an international transaction fee, it will be the last.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                          WCHA TV is getting one chance to impress me. If it sucks, there's no second chance. Bugs should have been worked out before they put the product on the shelf. If my credit card is charged by some company from Outer Slobovia and hit with an international transaction fee, it will be the last.
                          I had a 12 cent fee tacked onto my $12 game order the other night. Not sure why the WCHA can't find an American company to bill through...

Comment

I am not sure I am liking what I am reading here.

Single game price - Up 50% (Last year $8, this year $12)
                            Additional Foreign Transaction Fee.
                            Reception (Down at least 50%, if not close to 100%)

Not good signs.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                              I had a 12 cent fee tacked onto my $12 game order the other night. Not sure why the WCHA can't find an American company to bill through...
                              How was the feed from Bemidji last Saturday in your opinion? I know a lot of UND fans over on SiouxSports gave up in the first period and requested refunds. Once they were told they would get a refund, the feed was cut off for them. I know one of them got the canned e-mail response that the issues were due to low bandwidth from the arena and not on their end.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                How was the feed from Bemidji last Saturday in your opinion? I know a lot of UND fans over on SiouxSports gave up in the first period and requested refunds. Once they were told they would get a refund, the feed was cut off for them. I know one of them got the canned e-mail response that the issues were due to low bandwidth from the arena and not on their end.
                                First half way bad, but most the time there was audio. Very pixelated and oftentimes there was just a gray screen. I tweeted Lakeland and the WCHA a picture of a wide shot of an empty arena with the Zamboni. The WCHA did reply in a private message apologizing.

I did E-Mail the service and they said it was low bandwidth out of Bemidji. They said they turned it up and it should be fixed, and it was. They also gave me a promo code for another game.

I have no complaints though, there was a problem, it was resolved and they gave me another free opportunity to see how it works.

It would be nice if they could do a preview weekend to show how it works. I just wanted to try one night to see. Hopefully the next home game will work better.

Comment

Working...
                                X