Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA TV – Questions, Comments, Complaints, etc.

I have sent a former letter to the Michigan Tech athletics department asking them to put pressure on the league to do something about this unacceptable broadcast quality. I hope others will take the time to do the same. Only with a steady stream of feedback from paying customers of the service is this going to get fixed.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I just sent a note to EverSport support requesting a refund of 20% of my season package price plus the annoying foreign transaction fee and told them that if the product does not improve within 2 weeks, I will be demanding a full refund. I also filled out a support ticket at America One's support page, since they are apparently the ones producing the broadcasts.

I encourage everyone to send these people a note telling them specifically why you are unhappy. (buffering, lo-def, no picture-in-picture, etc.) Tell them you watched last year and it was MUCH BETTER. Tell them you are annoyed with the foreign transaction fee and want a refund.

I made sure they knew I had run the speed test recommended in their support FAQs and had plenty of bandwidth to support the broadcast.

I told them I have been unable to watch a single entire period of hockey this year because their product is UNWATCHABLE.

As noted in a previous post, to make an impression, they need to hear from a steady stream of unhappy customers requesting refunds.

Eversport support email: support@eversport.tv

America One support page - fill out a ticket and submit it: http://support.americaone.com/

I sent a copy of my correspondence to the WCHA (info@wcha.com) and told them they needed to know how crummy this product is and that I would not be watching WCHA.TV if the quality does not improve.

I also sent a copy to the Seawolf athletic department asking them to apply pressure from their end, too.

Comment

I agree that letters need to be sent. I'm supposed to be getting a refund of my foreign transaction fee today and a partial game fee due to the feed going dead for a whole period. Svetlana said that'd be credited today. We'll see!

The only different thing I've done is email the commissioner Bill Robertson after my email to info@wcha.com didn't create a response of any kind. Bill responded pretty quickly that they are working on the issues and please stick with us.

Comment

The ECHL and SPHL left America One this summer and signed with Neulion.

So much for all that goodwill and brand building the WCHA achieved last year by throwing this package together. After reading the changes that took place this year, I didn't bother signing up. And the way it was talked about with such gusto by fans last year, I was ready to buy it.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            The ECHL and SPHL left America One this summer and signed with Neulion.

So much for all that goodwill and brand building the WCHA achieved last year by throwing this package together. After reading the changes that took place this year, I didn't bother signing up. And the way it was talked about with such gusto by fans last year, I was ready to buy it.
            NCHC.tv is through Nuelion and the only downside has been the feed quality in a couple arenas (to be expected) and the feed has gone down a couple times. Been impressed with Nuelion.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              The only different thing I've done is email the commissioner Bill Robertson after my email to info@wcha.com didn't create a response of any kind. Bill responded pretty quickly that they are working on the issues and please stick with us.
              Good idea - I just forwarded a copy to the commish. Will be interesting to see who responds first...

Update - Bill responded within minutes. Same stuff - aware of it, working on it, we understand your frustration, stick with us....
              Last edited by tomthumb; 11-03-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Wow, it really shocks me how terrible the video quality is for most collegiate level hockey in this day and age. What is even more mind boggling is that they have the nerve the charge for something that would be considered mediocre quality from a potato. If you do want to show your various schools athletics departments what is possible, send them a link to this: http://rpitv.org/productions/831-mens-hockey-vs-union*. I am the one in charge of the streaming for RPI TV and I'd be happy to share how we do it, and how we convinced our athletics department to drop their B2/AmericaOne contract to let us stream all of the games for free. We actually do stream the games live in HD, up to 1080p (and a bunch of other resolutions). RPI TV is actually just a student organization at RPI and we produce our games with a tiny crew of usually about 6 or 7 people, all either students or recently graduated alum. Let me know if you have any questions; I'd be happy to help you shame your schools into providing better quality video

*(the bitrate selector is broken so you cant select >540p unless it is fullscreen. I have to fix this, sorry)
                Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Its asking me to login and I can't find anywhere to create a login?
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mackek2 View Post
                    Wow, it really shocks me how terrible the video quality is for most collegiate level hockey in this day and age. What is even more mind boggling is that they have the nerve the charge for something that would be considered mediocre quality from a potato. If you do want to show your various schools athletics departments what is possible, send them a link to this: http://rpitv.org/productions/831-mens-hockey-vs-union*. I am the one in charge of the streaming for RPI TV and I'd be happy to share how we do it, and how we convinced our athletics department to drop their B2/AmericaOne contract to let us stream all of the games for free. We actually do stream the games live in HD, up to 1080p (and a bunch of other resolutions). RPI TV is actually just a student organization at RPI and we produce our games with a tiny crew of usually about 6 or 7 people, all either students or recently graduated alum. Let me know if you have any questions; I'd be happy to help you shame your schools into providing better quality video

*(the bitrate selector is broken so you cant select >540p unless it is fullscreen. I have to fix this, sorry)
                    Please submit your resume directly to the WCHA Commissioner's Office.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Its asking me to login and I can't find anywhere to create a login?
                      This happens when the streaming protocol is blocked by the network you are using, usually in corporate environments. This shouldn't happen with youtube videos directly, unless they block youtube specifically (eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKOEB3-Flw). We use Youtube to stream live games because we exhausted the bandwidth our school could give us (1 gigabit/sec), but we host the archive games on our own servers for youtube copyright reasons (There is copyrighted music in the background that youtube detects and flags in the archived video). I am going to setup a different streaming method soon so that people can watch it in places that block RTMP, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

This happens when the streaming protocol is blocked by the network you are using, usually in corporate environments. This shouldn't happen with youtube videos directly, unless they block youtube specifically (eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKOEB3-Flw). We use Youtube to stream live games because we exhausted the bandwidth our school could give us (1 gigabit/sec), but we host the archive games on our own servers for youtube copyright reasons (There is copyrighted music in the background that youtube detects and flags in the archived video). I am going to setup a different streaming method soon so that people can watch it in places that block RTMP, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
                        youtube would be awesome because you can chromecast it
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I Chromecast WCHA.tv by pulling it up in Chrome and using their extension. It works flawlessly save for the fact that there's a 1-second delay from your laptop (which keeps showing the video) to your TV. Putting it in your line-of-sight will make things look strange.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

As far as the existing WCHA.tv deal. I reached out to Michigan Tech's AD with my concerns and will see what she has to say.

Comment

I can't think of any reason WHY the WCHA cannot run the video streaming within themselves. Lakeland TV in Bemidji does a fantastic job. Most schools have public tv outlets right on campus and I have to think the technology should be . Why $$$farm$$ it out to what it appears to be two to three parties from producing the product to billing the customers.

I still think a split audio feed...home and away...would be nice...

Comment

Exactly I actually graduated and work in NYC, but I have a place up here near RPI where I come for the weekends. I have a pretty awesome setup with a 120" projector and a chromecast. We had a game on Friday against Union college which I was going to go to, but I may have started to pre-game the after-game Halloween party and ended up watching the game from my couch. 1080p hockey on a 120" screen is actually amazingly awesome and a lot of time better than in person because we do a lot more instant replay angles that we are not allowed to show on the video board at the rink (any time a goal is up for review, or just good checks, ect..) .

Comment

Working...
                                X