Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota 2014-2015 Season Thread

Originally posted by Thisisahockeywebsite View Post
    I thought it was an incredible game that went downhill. Specifically I think the game should have been 6 on 4 at the end. It would have only made it more exciting and I wouldn't feel so bad for ND
    You must have missed Pattyn punching Oksanen in the head twice prior to Rodrigues's stick penalty. That's not deserving of a minor?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The refs didn't affect the outcome of the game. The Rodrigues stick incident near the end was stupid on his part, and he got away with it. If he'd been called for it I'm sure Quinn would have had some choice words for him.
      I still can't believe that he did that...at that juncture of a game....in the Frozen Four. Just beyond stupid. The dude is SO lucky he didn't cost his team a chance at a national title. Were all the refs looking the other way? It doesn't seem that way--why would they have given Rodrigues a penalty if they didn't see it? And if they saw it, why didn't they call Rodrigues for the penalty in the few seconds between the time he did it, and the time that the UND guy chased him down? Just weird all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Yeah. I feel bad for Zane. Great season, and then plays arguably his worst game of the season tonight. Obviously, BU had a lot to do with that, but I have to imagine that average Zane stops the 2nd and 3rd goals, and maybe even the 4th.

This loss reminded me a LOT of the 2006 loss. Got behind early, came back strong and looked like we might just win it...only to get further behind...then make a charge in the final few minutes...only to have an empty netter seal the fate. The key in both games is that we never tied it up.
        I had a chance to talk to Zane at the Hobey ceremony and asked him the million dollar question. His answer was to be expected - he hasn't made any decision about staying. I told him I hope he stays.
        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          I had a chance to talk to Zane at the Hobey ceremony and asked him the million dollar question. His answer was to be expected - he hasn't made any decision about staying. I told him I hope he stays.
          I really wouldn't be surprised either way. I think he's probably most likely to leave than stay. That being said, if I was his adviser, I would be telling him he probably has at least 2-3 years in the minors before he would have a shot at the NHL.

Supposedly LaDue is leaning towards coming back. IMO, that would leave the Schmaltz brothers as potential early departures. I really wouldn't be too surprised if both left, but I think both need a bit more developing before making the big jump. Whether they chose to do that in the AHL or college is up to them.

As for looking back at this season, I always set 2 levels of expectations (meets:exceeds). I then assign a star ranking to each exceeding level: wins (1), conference tourney (2), regular season (3), ncaa tournament (4). You then subtract the star value for not meeting that expectation So, a 10 star season would be basically the perfect season (i.e. exceeded expectations in all categories), and a -10 star season would be a disaster.

For 2014-2015 it went as follows
          Wins: 25/30
          NCHC Regular Season Finish: 2nd/1st
          NCHC Tournament Finish: 2nd/1st
          NCAA: Frozen Four/National Champions

So we failed to meet expectations in the conference tournament so that is -2, met each of the other three, and exceed expectations in the regular season so that is a +3. Add it all together and it is a 1 star season...not bad, not great...about what I expected.

I'm sure Hakstol will have whoever is in uniform ready to go next season, and North Dakota will be in the thick of it again next spring. Hopefully it ends better next time around.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I really wouldn't be surprised either way. I think he's probably most likely to leave than stay. That being said, if I was his adviser, I would be telling him he probably has at least 2-3 years in the minors before he would have a shot at the NHL.

Supposedly LaDue is leaning towards coming back. IMO, that would leave the Schmaltz brothers as potential early departures. I really wouldn't be too surprised if both left, but I think both need a bit more developing before making the big jump. Whether they chose to do that in the AHL or college is up to them.

As for looking back at this season, I always set 2 levels of expectations (meets:exceeds). I then assign a star ranking to each exceeding level: wins (1), conference tourney (2), regular season (3), ncaa tournament (4). You then subtract the star value for not meeting that expectation So, a 10 star season would be basically the perfect season (i.e. exceeded expectations in all categories), and a -10 star season would be a disaster.

For 2014-2015 it went as follows
            Wins: 25/30
            NCHC Regular Season Finish: 2nd/1st
            NCHC Tournament Finish: 2nd/1st
            NCAA: Frozen Four/National Champions

So we failed to meet expectations in the conference tournament so that is -2, met each of the other three, and exceed expectations in the regular season so that is a +3. Add it all together and it is a 1 star season...not bad, not great...about what I expected.

I'm sure Hakstol will have whoever is in uniform ready to go next season, and North Dakota will be in the thick of it again next spring. Hopefully it ends better next time around.
            Interesting. Both of the Schmaltz brothers leaving? I think Jordan has not come close to progressing to be the dominant defenseman that you would expect from a number one draft choice, but maybe the AHL would be a better place to improve his game. Nick is absolutely lost - well for a number one draft choice anyway. He doesn't seem to have a clue when to attack the net and TAKE A SHOT!! He can be a great college player with a couple more years of experience. At least we are well stocked for next year.
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              This Maine fan saw a good UND team let down by what I thought was going to be a great goalie. In reality he may be a great goalie, but he picked a bad time to be pedestrian. Too bad. Don't see it as the coaches fault. Love the way you guys travel
              Maine fan here living in Boston w/ BU season tix. ND-BU Thurs night was the best college game I've seen all year. Hands-down. I've been to 21 or 22 if I count correctly. ND played great. You played great tic-tac-toe control the puck hockey for a team advertised not to do so. And your goalie has a bad night the night of the NCAA semi's. Zane, what's up with that? I've seen the kid play three times live and 7 or 8 times incl TV. He's a stud. But great goalies earn their reputations (and their paychecks) having big games on big nights. It was not to be. That said, BU is loaded and you ran into a buzz saw. Not all Zane's fault.

I met, talked with, and drank with many Sioux fans this week. The amount of Green around the Gahhden Thursday night was a true testament to North Dakota hockey and to your loyalty. Congratulations. And not for nothing, but as an outsider, this loss was not on Hakstol. No way. Playing this BU team in Boston in the Frozen Four is a nightmare for anybody. See you guys next year.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                I met, talked with, and drank with many Sioux fans this week. The amount of Green around the Gahhden Thursday night was a true testament to North Dakota hockey and to your loyalty. Congratulations. And not for nothing, but as an outsider, this loss was not on Hakstol. No way. Playing this BU team in Boston in the Frozen Four is a nightmare for anybody. See you guys next year.
                +1
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

If you're honest, what does McIntyre really have left to prove in college? He's already shown he is a top level goalie on this level. Is one more year against the same level of competition really going to push his development compared to facing better players in the minors? Not likely. He's closing in on five years removed from being drafted and he'll be 23 in the near future. Not to mention, he has the chance to go the free agent route too if he doesn't like how things look in the Boston system. I think it is a long shot that he comes back.

Doubt the older Schmaltz is coming back. NHL teams tend to push to sign their higher draft picks after their junior year because they don't want to risk them holding out for free agency after their senior season.

I also wouldn't rule out a few guys that appear to be unlikely to get offers. I've already heard of a few college guys getting offers that you would be surprised about. It is far more economical these days to pursue young guys than what it once was.
                  University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                    If you're honest, what does McIntyre really have left to prove in college? He's already shown he is a top level goalie on this level. Is one more year against the same level of competition really going to push his development compared to facing better players in the minors? Not likely. He's closing in on five years removed from being drafted and he'll be 23 in the near future. Not to mention, he has the chance to go the free agent route too if he doesn't like how things look in the Boston system. I think it is a long shot that he comes back.
                    Pretty sure I was being honest. Were you?

As I said, I think it's more likely that he'll leave than stay. Further, if I was his "adviser," I would certainly be telling him he probably has at least 2-3 years in the minors before he would have a shot at the NHL. That being said, McIntyre would likely not play as much next season if he were to return. Tomek is going to play a bit next season, so I definitely agree that McIntyre would develop more in the minors. He probably would only play 25-30 games if he comes back.

Of course, it is important to note the importance of UND to McIntyre and the role that it plays in his life. We've all seen guys who could have left a year or two early, but chose to stay because of their relationship with the school. Again, I would put it probably about 75/25 that he leaves, and I wouldn't blame him for it.

Originally posted by Hammy
                    Doubt the older Schmaltz is coming back. NHL teams tend to push to sign their higher draft picks after their junior year because they don't want to risk them holding out for free agency after their senior season.
                    I don't really know of anyone that thinks Jordan Schmaltz is coming back. FWIW, he never really stood out...probably will be a better pro than a college player. Hopefully, Nick decides to stay, but I wouldn't be real surprised if he left too.

Originally posted by Hammy
                    I also wouldn't rule out a few guys that appear to be unlikely to get offers. I've already heard of a few college guys getting offers that you would be surprised about. It is far more economical these days to pursue young guys than what it once was.
                    I highly doubt I would be surprised about it. I am good friends with some high-level hockey agents, and we talk a lot about who is getting pressure/offers. I know of several guys that have decisions to make...from just about every major program in college hockey. It's the nature of college hockey these days.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      This was pretty inevitable...I think they're the best team in the country and I don't think it's really close. If they don't gift-wrap a goal when the game is over at 4-1 this thing was never in doubt. I say that because I have seen this team all year...when you step up EVERY TIME you have to all year, it's not "puck luck" or anything else. It's great talent asserting itself. I know that he is under fire and I am not defending him; I just think that blaming him solely takes the credit from a great BU team.
                      What's that you say? Best team you say? Nope, that's Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                        What's that you say? Best team you say? Nope, that's Providence.
                        The best teams usually have great goalies. Providence was that for sure.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          The best teams usually have great goalies. Providence was that for sure.
                          We were badly outplayed in the 3rd period tonight. Fluke goal or no fluke goal. Providence deserved to win. That doesn't take away from a great season with the youngest team in the country. There is a lot to look forward to for the future. But, sorry, I'm not going to say that Providence (the next to last team to get in) is the "best team" in the country. Anything can happen in one game and you have to look at the entire body of work. But, tonight, congratulations to the Friars.

Comment

• As I was walking out of our box Thursday night, a classy UND fan turned to us and said 'The better team won tonight, congratulations. Now go finish the job.' I saw the same guy tonight as I was trudging through North Station with my 7 year old, who was in tears. The UND guy gave me a hug, said 'You'll be back here again.' My boy told him this was his first FF. It was the ND fella who was in the suites that made it on the Jumbotron.

But it's true. We WILL be back again. So will they. And PROVICED, provided they don't get kicked out of Hockey Rast. Even (ugh) BC. That's the beauty in sports. Every new season is a new opportunity. Good luck next year.

Comment

IMO, this relates to the max $ rules that are currently in place (I assume they are still in place). Not like the old days, where you can drastically improve your $$$ offer if you stay one more year and light it up in the college ranks.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I agree with you. My fellow North Dakota fans who have hopes of Zane and Jordan returning, and not losing any other underclassmen early, are posting with their hearts, not their minds.

No way Zane comes back. I just don't see it. We lose a big senior class. Possibly lose some underclassmen on the blue line. Next year, certainly for the first half, figures to be somewhat of a rebuilding year, and that certainly isn't going to benefit Zane's numbers.

You never know what sort of family situation is going on, but I say it's less than 5% that he comes back.

I also think we lose two, if not three defensemen. I expect Schmaltz, LaDue and Stecher to all be gone.

I always think its somewhat helpful to see who the coaches plan to bring in to give some insight on who they expect to lose. North Dakota loses 5 senior forwards and 2 senior defensemen, but have plans to bring in 5 forwards and 4 defensemen, with 2 additional forwards and one additional defenseman "in the wings" in case of unexpected departures.

This suggests to me that Schmaltz for sure, and probably both LaDue and Stecher are gone.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X