University of North Dakota 2014-2015 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota 2014-2015 Season Thread

For my money, I thought that UND played the better game. Until the third, I would have said that they didn't have puck luck, but then BU started coughing it up. But very well-played. Good game.
    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Good grief, is hakstol the best final 8 coach and worst frozen four coach ever??? How many chances does he need to close the deal?
      Hakstol is being replaced by Jenna Jameson. There's no doubt she'll blow a few, but she won't choke on the big one.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        For my money, I thought that UND played the better game. Until the third, I would have said that they didn't have puck luck, but then BU started coughing it up. But very well-played. Good game.
        UND played real sluggish for the first 10 minutes of the game. Then they got going but it was too late as they had to play catch up all night.
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

It was a fun team to watch this year. The effort we saw in last night's game was what we got to see pretty much every night all season. But to beat BU they needed to avoid penalties, slow down Eichel's line and have Zane play his standard game.

The first penalty put them behind the eight ball when BU scored. Zane had a couple that he would like back, I'm sure. I was generally happy with how they controlled Eichel's line 5 x 5, as they didn't generate much in the way of scoring chances. The nice one-timer was about it, and even that one I'm sure Zane would tell you he should have had.

A fun group of seniors to watch this year. Not too often you get to see a couple of walk ons wear the "C" and "A" for a team. Felt bad for Mac sitting in the stands after his four years of work.

Look forward to next year.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Harvard fan here, could not believe the refs in this game. There were two icings that got blown off in the first 10 minutes that just showed me where this game was headed. I know that they are going to let the little things go in the last 5 min of the game, but you cannot just not call interference and cross-checking. The offsides call in the defensive zone with 1:55 was the stuff of legends. This was one of the best college hockey games I've ever seen, but the reffing in the end left such a sour taste in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Thisisahockeywebsite View Post
              Harvard fan here, could not believe the refs in this game. There were two icings that got blown off in the first 10 minutes that just showed me where this game was headed. I know that they are going to let the little things go in the last 5 min of the game, but you cannot just not call interference and cross-checking. The offsides call in the defensive zone with 1:55 was the stuff of legends. This was one of the best college hockey games I've ever seen, but the reffing in the end left such a sour taste in my mouth.
              Yup, how else could BU have won? They suck...North Dakota and the entire NCHC is head and shoulders above the rest of college hockey...just ask them...

Comment

Not what I'm saying, but you have to give them a chance to play at least...

Edit: Here is a gif from reddit

https://gfycat.com/RealEnchantingAmericanalligator

Comment

but you have to give them a chance to play at least...
                  Just what does that mean? Like Western Canada in the 50s where the goal is to smash someone's brains in, send 100 guys to the net like a phalanx and stuff the puck in? Sorry...let the Canadian junior leagues play that style. We SKATE here. If the goons don't like it, let them stay in Canada. The college game should be one of flow, creativity and speed. This isn't the NHL, which bores me to tears, where there is NO room on the ice (and they refuse to go to the Olympic ice surface) and it's just a train wreck. Why do you think the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and were two minutes away from winning another one, with practically no bonafide goal scorers? Sorry, if I want the refs to "let them play" I'll go watch the movie Slapshot.

Comment

The refs didn't affect the outcome of the game. The Rodrigues stick incident near the end was stupid on his part, and he got away with it. If he'd been called for it I'm sure Quinn would have had some choice words for him.

North Dakota lost the game because, a) they gave BU an early power play which BU capitalized on, b) they let in a couple of goals that they shouldn't have, and c) BU generally kept North Dakota from getting a ton of great scoring chances.

These teams play 10 games on neutral ice, wouldn't surprise me if it ended 5-5, or 6-4 either way. Good hockey game that just didn't go our way last night.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Just what does that mean? Like Western Canada in the 50s where the goal is to smash someone's brains in, send 100 guys to the net like a phalanx and stuff the puck in? Sorry...let the Canadian junior leagues play that style. We SKATE here. If the goons don't like it, let them stay in Canada. The college game should be one of flow, creativity and speed. This isn't the NHL, which bores me to tears, where there is NO room on the ice (and they refuse to go to the Olympic ice surface) and it's just a train wreck. Why do you think the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and were two minutes away from winning another one, with practically no bonafide goal scorers? Sorry, if I want the refs to "let them play" I'll go watch the movie Slapshot.
                      Yeah, I'm agreeing that I don't want dirty play. If you're getting cross checked you can't play.

Comment

Yeah, I'm agreeing that I don't want dirty play. If you're getting cross checked you can't play.
                        Well, you're obviously referring to something specific. I don't know where you're going with this. If you've seen many college hockey games, the reffing wasn't a whole lot different last night. There is a large emphasis on protecting the player. Yes, you could say that the boarding call when Hickey was losing an edge was questionable, but they will always err on the side of the vulnerable player. Not the North Dakota's player's fault that he made contact just at the "wrong" time, but intent is not part of the rule. Are you saying that the trip that Eichel drew in the 1st was not legit? I don't know what you're trying to say.

Comment

I thought it was an incredible game that went downhill. Specifically I think the game should have been 6 on 4 at the end. It would have only made it more exciting and I wouldn't feel so bad for ND

Comment

Sioux fan here.

I have some issues with the officiating, but I'm sure the other side does too. The nature of the issue.

The biggest factor in this game was goaltending. UND got here by playing a strong, fast, straightforward game, limiting Grade A chances, and relying on Zane to stop some of those and everything else. He let in three last night he probably wants back (I know I do). I don't think he let in three shots like that all year combined. Just picked a bad night to have his worst game of the year.

I thought UND had the better of the possession and chances, to a degree where I'd expect them to win the game with all else being equal. That said, it's tough to know how the game plays out if Zane keeps BU to one goal. Maybe BU plays better in a tie game than they did with the lead last night.

It might sound like sour grapes to say I thought UND outplayed them and deserved a better result, but I also said I thought Q. carried the play for a fair portion of the regional game and Zane made the difference in that game.

Zane really seemed like the worst of the worries going into the game, and I don't mean to be harsh because he's a great player and seemingly a nice young man.

Comment

• Originally posted by jk View Post
                              Sioux fan here.

I have some issues with the officiating, but I'm sure the other side does too. The nature of the issue.

The biggest factor in this game was goaltending. UND got here by playing a strong, fast, straightforward game, limiting Grade A chances, and relying on Zane to stop some of those and everything else. He let in three last night he probably wants back (I know I do). I don't think he let in three shots like that all year combined. Just picked a bad night to have his worst game of the year.

I thought UND had the better of the possession and chances, to a degree where I'd expect them to win the game with all else being equal. That said, it's tough to know how the game plays out if Zane keeps BU to one goal. Maybe BU plays better in a tie game than they did with the lead last night.

It might sound like sour grapes to say I thought UND outplayed them and deserved a better result, but I also said I thought Q. carried the play for a fair portion of the regional game and Zane made the difference in that game.

Zane really seemed like the worst of the worries going into the game, and I don't mean to be harsh because he's a great player and seemingly a nice young man.
                              This Maine fan saw a good UND team let down by what I thought was going to be a great goalie. In reality he may be a great goalie, but he picked a bad time to be pedestrian. Too bad. Don't see it as the coaches fault. Love the way you guys travel
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                The refs didn't affect the outcome of the game. The Rodrigues stick incident near the end was stupid on his part, and he got away with it. If he'd been called for it I'm sure Quinn would have had some choice words for him.

North Dakota lost the game because, a) they gave BU an early power play which BU capitalized on, b) they let in a couple of goals that they shouldn't have, and c) BU generally kept North Dakota from getting a ton of great scoring chances.

These teams play 10 games on neutral ice, wouldn't surprise me if it ended 5-5, or 6-4 either way. Good hockey game that just didn't go our way last night.
                                Absolutely correct assessment. Two very even teams when you add the sum of the parts.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X