X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2014-2015: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just off topic for a second-a very brave kitty-Corey-lost her battle tonight at 8PM. Like a true hockey player she gave no indication of discomfort or fear. We have now lost 4 in the past few months but at least they reached reasonable ages(but certainly not ancient) as cats should at least be able to reach their teens. Wonderful animals who only hurt us when they leave us.

On topic-i really wish when we have the chance to get that empty net goal we get it. It certainly looks good on paper and it narrows our overall net negative GF vs GA.
    Please add my sympathies too. This month has been especially hard for me as I attended the funerals of a cousin (87) and a co-worker (57, too young). I have experienced the loss of several cats over the years and it never gets any easier. While none of mine passed recently, my sister lost one of hers (Bruno) in November and my next door neighbor (Molly) in October. Watching them failing and not being able to help is the greatest source of angst; I do find comfort in the fact that they are no longer suffering. I also find solace in the realization that each cat I lost provided me with years of joy which far outweighed the last few bad weeks of sadness.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
      Please add my sympathies too. This month has been especially hard for me as I attended the funerals of a cousin (87) and a co-worker (57, too young). I have experienced the loss of several cats over the years and it never gets any easier. While none of mine passed recently, my sister lost one of hers (Bruno) in November and my next door neighbor (Molly) in October. Watching them failing and not being able to help is the greatest source of angst; I do find comfort in the fact that they are no longer suffering. I also find solace in the realization that each cat I lost provided me with years of joy which far outweighed the last few bad weeks of sadness.
      Amen to this; I had attended the funeral of my buddy's wife, who was barely a few months older than me. It's never easy, but life continues, and memories of the person can have a positive shape on life to come.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Someone didn't notice what his own present school did when it comes to goaltenders.
        Yeah, but Kazzy > Lyons, so he doesn't really count . Also, Colgate and Cornell are somewhat better competition than Brown and Brown.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Yesterday, CHN added a "Shot Metrics" page to their schedule page which shows detailed shooting information.

Here's the page from the Cornell game:
          http://www.collegehockeynews.com/box...0142015&gd=647

I was noticing that over the last couple games, RPI has racked up far more blocked shots than their opponents (as in, opponents shots are being blocked by RPI). Since there doesn't seem to be a way to view these stats in aggregate, I scraped the page to CSV and did some simple analysis to get the big picture:
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Y2yx8mJqY/view

RPI is blocking 25.0% of shots, compared to 21.7% for our opponents. On the negative side, it should come as little surprise that RPI has a low shooting percentage, just 3.7% of total shots result in a goal compared to 5.1% for their opponents. While I haven't calculated stats for the league average, it would seem like that's due for a regression!

Hopefully someone else finds these stats as interesting as I do!
          RPI Class of 2012
          Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            Well deserved.

Kazzy was a shoe-in as the only goalie with 2 wins and a shutout on the weekend, but Neal was a little less certain. He's certainly come on of late, and hopefully he can keep it going, especially once our ECAC schedule starts back up in two weeks.
            And Wilson was nominated for ROTW.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
              Yesterday, CHN added a "Shot Metrics" page to their schedule page which shows detailed shooting information.

Here's the page from the Cornell game:
              http://www.collegehockeynews.com/box...0142015&gd=647

I was noticing that over the last couple games, RPI has racked up far more blocked shots than their opponents (as in, opponents shots are being blocked by RPI). Since there doesn't seem to be a way to view these stats in aggregate, I scraped the page to CSV and did some simple analysis to get the big picture:
              https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Y2yx8mJqY/view

RPI is blocking 25.0% of shots, compared to 21.7% for our opponents. On the negative side, it should come as little surprise that RPI has a low shooting percentage, just 3.7% of total shots result in a goal compared to 5.1% for their opponents. While I haven't calculated stats for the league average, it would seem like that's due for a regression!

A fairly common tactic for teams that lack high end rush offenses is to simply dump as many shots on net as possible. Goalies are human and make mistakes, its often good to give them as many chances to make mistakes as possible. That would theoretically correlate with an increase in actual shots taken, on net or otherwise, controlling for quality of opponent. It would be interesting to see that stat chronologically to see if there has been a fundamental change in their approach in the offensive zone or not.

The biggest change I have seen the last few games has simply been taking better care of the puck on our half of the ice. Less careless giveaways and boneheaded passes in our own end make for smoother play across the whole rink. The Cornell game was especially good in that department. They have a strong defensive core when they are playing conservative hockey in our own end of the rink.

I'm not sure if its a function of 'playing from behind' as much as 'playing against stronger teams', but they are 5-1 when they score first, and 4-15-1 after giving up the first goal, but if you assume they have a chance at beating everyone they play to some degree, that first goal seems pretty important to them.

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                Ooooh, stats...

I'm curious who put this page together for CHN, because they're definition of "close" differs from what's used when discussing the NHL. First of all, "Fenwick Close" refers to the stat Fenwick (unblocked shot attempts) when the game is close. Second, "close" is usually considered to mean a one goal game in the first two periods (not two, as stated by CHN), or tied in the third.

In any case, I wish they would provide totals for shot attempts in categories other than "Total". When considering these stats, one usually ignores events that happen when the game is not close (due to the all powerful "score effect") and when the teams are not playing five a side (i.e., not a PP, EN, or 4x4/3x3 situation). We can mostly deduce these values from the numbers that are given, but it would be nice if CHN provided them.

In any case, I'll do some playing around with these and throw together some fancy charts for things like 5v5_CF%, 5v5_FF%, PDO, and all that nonsense.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by hrbrendan View Post
                  A fairly common tactic for teams that lack high end rush offenses is to simply dump as many shots on net as possible. Goalies are human and make mistakes, its often good to give them as many chances to make mistakes as possible. That would theoretically correlate with an increase in actual shots taken, on net or otherwise, controlling for quality of opponent. It would be interesting to see that stat chronologically to see if there has been a fundamental change in their approach in the offensive zone or not.

The biggest change I have seen the last few games has simply been taking better care of the puck on our half of the ice. Less careless giveaways and boneheaded passes in our own end make for smoother play across the whole rink. The Cornell game was especially good in that department. They have a strong defensive core when they are playing conservative hockey in our own end of the rink.

I'm not sure if its a function of 'playing from behind' as much as 'playing against stronger teams', but they are 5-1 when they score first, and 4-15-1 after giving up the first goal, but if you assume they have a chance at beating everyone they play to some degree, that first goal seems pretty important to them.
                  Scoring first has a positive correlation with winning in many sports, or at least the ones that don't have a metric whackton of scoring, like squeakball or roller derby.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Scoring first has a positive correlation with winning in many sports, or at least the ones that don't have a metric whackton of scoring, like squeakball or roller derby.
                    or bowling.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      or bowling.
                      Or darts.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Or darts.
                        Or Golf.

Today is Thursday January 22, 2015.

It has been 13 days since RPI's last defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                          Ooooh, stats...

I'm curious who put this page together for CHN, because they're definition of "close" differs from what's used when discussing the NHL. First of all, "Fenwick Close" refers to the stat Fenwick (unblocked shot attempts) when the game is close. Second, "close" is usually considered to mean a one goal game in the first two periods (not two, as stated by CHN), or tied in the third.

In any case, I wish they would provide totals for shot attempts in categories other than "Total". When considering these stats, one usually ignores events that happen when the game is not close (due to the all powerful "score effect") and when the teams are not playing five a side (i.e., not a PP, EN, or 4x4/3x3 situation). We can mostly deduce these values from the numbers that are given, but it would be nice if CHN provided them.

In any case, I'll do some playing around with these and throw together some fancy charts for things like 5v5_CF%, 5v5_FF%, PDO, and all that nonsense.
                          Very very interesting...

There are different views on stats like blocked shots. One is very positive as if aggressive in the defensive zone and that limited things getting to net and therefore scoring chances. Other stat like this is hits (how many more hits do you have than your opponent).

Other other view is that if you are consistently blocking more shots or have more hits than your opponent, that you dont have possession of the puck and that the play is likely mostly in your end. Some have looked at these metrics (as well as the number of times that you had possession unchallenged and turned over relative to your opponent) as extremely negative and indicative of who controlled the play.

I'm certainly not here to be negative or speak in a derogatory way about the team. Just the opposite. In fact, I think we have generally played harder and better than what I think I saw last year. Competitiveness is up and absent a those couple minutes most games, we played teams very aggressively and straight up. I will grant you that I havent see all or even a majority of the games so cant speak to the Bentley's, but did see BU and some others and knew that there were some very positive things to come out of those games despite how the boys may have felt and all the negativity on this board.

Here is what I will say - we need to pressure the play more. We concede the offensive blue line and the red line all the time. Defense doesn't start at out defensive blue line...its the other lines that matter. Pressure the play offensively. Dont concede the red line where the other team can just dump deep and make us play froward the entire sheet. Also, CONTROL the puck. We relentlessly gain possession in our end and then just play off the glass or just do anything to clear and then lose control and right back in. I DONT CARE if we lose games or give up goals as a result of pressing the play and controlling the puck. I do care if we are always back on our heels trying to protect a lead that our play never gives us. In that respect, we just dont make ourselves that difficult to play against.

Last thing - we have recruited speed and scoring. Look at all of the stats of our team. These kids can play and they can score. LET THEM PLAY. I consistently been struck by how we recruit what we say we want (speed and dynamic and intensity and scoring), and then somehow constrain the boys by our system. Again, I'd rather lose and see us net 4 or 5 than see us not score or score 1 for 80% of our games. Its college hockey. You dont win games not scoring or 1-0. Put the puck in the net. I'll tell you this - say what you want about Union last year...that team won a national championship because it relentlessly and aggressively pressed the play and capitalized on every opportunity to score (how many did they net on Minnesota in the Championship ?...wasnt 1 or 2 or even 3).

I see a lot of positives, and want the best for the boys. They dont owe me anything as I think I'm seeing effort and thats all I can ask. Flip side is when we have more hits and blocked shots and conceding the offensive blue line and red line I start to mist over as we are handicapping them from succeeding. I look forward to the day that we say that the other team has 2X the blocked shots and hits we do, because then we will be possessing the puck and in the offensive zone with a multiple of the shots we have now. That will be exciting and can assure you will also result in a reversal of the record we see now.

Its January and nothing is decided yet. In fact, much is open to claim. Lets support our team ad lets allow them to acheive what they have the ability to and take the leash off. Jesus we'll be dangerous if that happens.

Comment

So no one worries again, I have a class this morning.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                              One redeeming factor for us, although it certainly does not reduce the pain much, is that we spoil our cats beyond anything you can imagine. We try to make their lives as long as possible of course, but even if they are taken from us somewhat early, they live the life of nobility. Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as Gods-our Cats have never forgotten this.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

It was good to see wood and curardi do what they did , the origanal penalty was a retaliation on Union after a clean curardi hit mid ice
                                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Working...
                                X