Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    I agree. And the players and their families deserve not only respect from nameless posters on an insignificant web thread, but I go further and believe that they also deserve respect and integrity from coaches who actually control their fates. When two of the best players are so upset that they choose to leave the team to which they had been committed, because the believe they were promised when they could achieve their dreams, and the money they would get from the school, that's pretty significant, right?

When it happens more than once, its a pattern, and I tend to blame the "adult" coaches who earn hundreds of thousands of dollars each year and whose job it is to communicate clearly. I assume you agree?
    None of us knows for sure what was communicated, promised and/or understood between the UNH coaching staff and Laleggia/Vecchione.

Josh Ciocco explained on another UNH thread that the UNH coaches do not make absolute promises to a newly committed recruit on the exact date he will enroll. He went on to say that each year, the recruit and the UNH coaches set goals for improvement and that these goals are reviewed with the recruit at the end of the season. The coaches get to decide, in consultation with the recruit's junior coach and the player himself, when the recruit will enroll. Sometimes this process works out to everyone's satisfaction - see, for example, the decision for Andrew Poturalski to spend last year in Cedar Rapids. Sometimes this process must lead to bitter disappointment and hard feelings.

I completely agree that it is the responsibility of the UNH coaches to be explicit and upfront in all discussions with the verbally committed recruit. I would add that all three coaches absolutely must be on the same page when it comes to any communication with the recruit and his family.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      ECAC gets hometown reffing? That's news to me.
      Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not ... the point being that listening to the Union radio feed last night, their own announcers were saying before the last three of the four straight early calls against UNH that they were expecting those calls to be against Union, so they were genuinely surprised to see the calls going the opposite way.

Considering how things played out when they finally did give UNH a power play, in retrospect I wish it had continued.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not ... the point being that listening to the Union radio feed last night, their own announcers were saying before the last three of the four straight early calls against UNH that they were expecting those calls to be against Union, so they were genuinely surprised to see the calls going the opposite way.

Considering how things played out when they finally did give UNH a power play, in retrospect I wish it had continued.
        I wish I could say I was, but I'm not. Of course, ECAC has had a tendency in the past few years to be anti-RPI and incredibly pro-Union, so maybe that also plays a bit of a role in the perception I presented earlier.

Comment

A hockey recruiting question came to mind watching the football 'cats yesterday. BTW it was great seeing Cowell on (almost?) national TV. The announcers held us in high regard, said some very positive things about the UNH team. Nice Durham sunset . Yea, lights!

Anyway, watching Vailas got me wondering about in state recruiting...

The football team has 21 NH of 101 (yikes!) total players = 20% from NH.
          The hockey team has 3 NH of 28 total players = 11% from NH.

Apples/oranges applies here with the football roster size allowing "extra" players to be "hidden" to a degree, but for sake of argument is it possible that the State of NH produces UNH quality football players at twice the rate of hockey players?

A long time pet peeve of mine is seeing NH bred players on other college, especially HEA rosters. We might not be able to successfully recruit elite in state talent like a Freddy Meyer, but do some players not consider UNH, are not considered by UNH, decide they'd rather play for another school because of academics/location/playing opportunities/coaching staff/$cholar$hip offers?

There are 5 NH players on other HEA rosters, BC's Zach Sanford from Auburn the only one drafted (WSH).

Thoughts?
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Loving the discussion between 'Watcher and C-H-C over the last several posts.

I come down more on the side of the adults (coaches) in the process needing to be the more responsible ones, and needing to be 100% honest and frank (even if it's painful) with their scholar-athletes and their families. And saying that, I'm one of those adults, and have been for close to 15 years now (different sport with no realistic prospects for a playing for pay gig for even the best players, etc.). One thing I've always kept in mind is the scholar-athlete only gets one shot at their career, so the coach owes the player and the family that honesty. You are being trusted with that player's aspirations. If you betray that trust, you are failing at your biggest responsibility.

We've done pretty well ... over the years, there have been four players who left our club due to having D-1 aspirations that I frankly was unable to provide them that kind of training and visibility. Only one went against my advice, and that player is the only one of the four who will not be playing D-1 by this time next year (two are incoming D-1 frosh this year). We are fully capable of giving our players a level of skills and competition so that they can play productively at the D-3 level, where we've placed over a dozen kids over the years. But there were a lot of very challenging and sometimes painful discussions that were part of those processes. I like to think that I'm still able to continue doing what I've been doing because people understand the expectations, and a baseline of trust is in place.

As far as criticism leveled at the D-1 student-athletes, I do understand but I'm also a little ambivalent on the topic. Let's face it, the players and their families have made a tremendous commitment, but they have done so presumably with their eyes open, and many (if not most) still entertain the possibility they will play for pay someday - even if it's *only* at the AHL, ECHL or lower European levels. They are now at D-1 and they are literally one step removed from getting paid. Arguably, the scholarship they receive (full OR partial) marks the first consideration they've gotten as payback for their "investment". So I'm actually not against some frank assessment or criticism of the D-1 athlete in a sport like hockey. As "Watcher points out, this is after all a relatively insignificant message board, so it's not like the kid is getting skewered on ESPN or talk radio. IF they do move to the pros next, they can certainly expect it all there.

I've never quite bought the idea that amateur athletes are beyond criticism because they are amateurs (or scholar-athletes). Especially at the college level, the players are all adults (and some can even drink legally) so why are they exempt? Respect? Absoultely should be the baseline, but after that if the player is not playing up to expectations ... why should they be immune to criticism?

Finally, to wrap up ... the prevailing mentality of "protecting" the D-1 student-athlete reminds me of the mentality of high-level club coaches in our sport, who try to stress in their clinics and other interactions with feeder clubs (like ours) that outcomes of games are not important at the lower levels, and the focus there *should* be purely on skills as opposed to tactics and overall game awareness. Not surprisingly (and quite self-servingly), they will tell you with a straight face the game results *only* become important when they are played at ( ... wait for it ... ) THEIR next level. Fast forward to last night, and when you see a team like Union winning a game and it's apparently because their players busted their tails when the opportunities presented themselves, and took advantage in the 2nd period, there's a pretty good chance they learned those lessons before they ever stepped a foot on campus. And if they didn't ... then your player can possess a boatload of skill, but their team will never consistently succeed (although they may win the SOG's). JMHO.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I wish I could say I was, but I'm not. Of course, ECAC has had a tendency in the past few years to be anti-RPI and incredibly pro-Union, so maybe that also plays a bit of a role in the perception I presented earlier.
              that is usually the perception a glee club member would have when watching a game. the refs, see a superior team getting grabbed, interfered with etc because they cant keep up
              Last edited by Hokydad; 10-12-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Loving the discussion between 'Watcher and C-H-C over the last several posts.

I come down more on the side of the adults (coaches) in the process needing to be the more responsible ones, and needing to be 100% honest and frank (even if it's painful) with their scholar-athletes and their families. And saying that, I'm one of those adults, and have been for close to 15 years now (different sport with no realistic prospects for a playing for pay gig for even the best players, etc.). One thing I've always kept in mind is the scholar-athlete only gets one shot at their career, so the coach owes the player and the family that honesty. You are being trusted with that player's aspirations. If you betray that trust, you are failing at your biggest responsibility.

We've done pretty well ... over the years, there have been four players who left our club due to having D-1 aspirations that I frankly was unable to provide them that kind of training and visibility. Only one went against my advice, and that player is the only one of the four who will not be playing D-1 by this time next year (two are incoming D-1 frosh this year). We are fully capable of giving our players a level of skills and competition so that they can play productively at the D-3 level, where we've placed over a dozen kids over the years. But there were a lot of very challenging and sometimes painful discussions that were part of those processes. I like to think that I'm still able to continue doing what I've been doing because people understand the expectations, and a baseline of trust is in place.

As far as criticism leveled at the D-1 student-athletes, I do understand but I'm also a little ambivalent on the topic. Let's face it, the players and their families have made a tremendous commitment, but they have done so presumably with their eyes open, and many (if not most) still entertain the possibility they will play for pay someday - even if it's *only* at the AHL, ECHL or lower European levels. They are now at D-1 and they are literally one step removed from getting paid. Arguably, the scholarship they receive (full OR partial) marks the first consideration they've gotten as payback for their "investment". So I'm actually not against some frank assessment or criticism of the D-1 athlete in a sport like hockey. As "Watcher points out, this is after all a relatively insignificant message board, so it's not like the kid is getting skewered on ESPN or talk radio. IF they do move to the pros next, they can certainly expect it all there.

I've never quite bought the idea that amateur athletes are beyond criticism because they are amateurs (or scholar-athletes). Especially at the college level, the players are all adults (and some can even drink legally) so why are they exempt? Respect? Absoultely should be the baseline, but after that if the player is not playing up to expectations ... why should they be immune to criticism?
                I thought WIrinkrat's post provided accurate, insightful criticism of some UNH players in last night's game and he was respectful at the same time.

Comment

Probably wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome of the game .... but why was a former Union defenseman allowed to be one of the referees last night? Rather strange .......

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    that is usually the perception a glee club member would have when watching a game. the refs, see a superior team getting grabbed, interfered with etc because they cant keep up
                    Maybe. But Union was 0 for 5 on the PP. Admittedly Union's PK did cash in twice though!!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

"Union's 3-Goal Flurry Downs UNH"
                      With plenty of video highlights.

Comment

I was at the game last night.I thought your team put in a very solid effort.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Maybe. But Union was 0 for 5 on the PP. Admittedly Union's PK did cash in twice though!!
                          Believe me there was plenty of holding etc going around both teams that second period. Unfortunately we got the short (y) end (no pun intended ) of the stick. Hope to see you at the home opener the 25th v Co. College! Section 101 is where the cool kids sit (or so I've been told )
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                            I was at the game last night.I thought your team put in a very solid effort.
                            Hey thanks! Union is a hard hitting team with speed and skills; they will have another great year no doubt. Glad we made the trip and look forward to visiting again. As per UNH we showed some positives.. have some adjustments and experience to gain, but have faith some good stuff will come together. It's always better the day after.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Believe me there was plenty of holding etc going around both teams that second period. Unfortunately we got the short (y) end (no pun intended ) of the stick. Hope to see you at the home opener the 25th v Co. College! Section 101 is where the cool kids sit (or so I've been told )
                              No doubt

Great that you made the trip there. Two of my boys played in a tournament there years ago. It's a unigue barn☺

I'll try to catch up with you st the CC game☺
                              Last edited by e.cat; 10-12-2014, 05:23 PM.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                "Union's 3-Goal Flurry Downs UNH"
                                With plenty of video highlights.
                                At first glance you say UGH when you watch those goals (believe me...being there was worse!) BUT you also see the excellent work of those highlighted on your blog. My husband remarked that those guys are not afraid to go to the net, they don't just dump and chase it like we've been accustomed to on occasion. Really highlighted what Warren, Shane, Clark and Dylan brought to the game last night. Curious if Umille will give Reagan a shot at it next weekend in one of the games...Anyhoo..there's big potential on this team. It can only get better!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X