Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    FWIW I'm puzzled why some are crediting Coach Quinn for a turnaround at BU that hasn't quite happened yet ... it's not just you 'Watcher, it seems to be widespread, and it's premature, no?
    Ditto. It's rare that you see a team blow up like BU did last year. With one game under their belt this season, Quinn looks like a genius. I'm still curious to see if the man can coach.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      When you are 5 for 5 outrecruiting BC for 2016 and beyond I'll put my money on them. Look up Shawn Walsh's records his first two years while he got his recruits in a row.
      God knows I'm not a BC boostah and in their little Comm Ave. border war, I've always leaned strongly towards Coach Parker and BU. And I'll readily admit I leave it to guys like you and C-H-C to evaluate the recruiting wars. But what I saw out there on the ice for BU last season was pretty dismal. I'm just not ready to annoint any incoming class at any school as the "motherlode" until they actually produce. Especially when the coach isn't someone who has an established track record in the job at the particular school. Too many assumptions equate to too many moving parts for my liking. It may come to pass, but I need to see more than a good scouting report.

Let's not forget how many times over the last couple of decades when Harvard supposedly brought in a haul of blue-chip prospects, and they never quite set the then-down-"EZAC" on fire.

Suspect we're seeing an early preview of the season in the second period ... UNH grabs a quick lead, overcomes some "home cooking" in the form of four (4) straight PK's ... then get their first PP, quickly concede two (2) SHG's within seconds and then hokydad's surrogate son lights the lamp, and before you can say "Hey, this isn't going badly at all", UNH is down 3-1. Oh well. Get used to it.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Vechionne!!!!

Comment

I'll be curious to hear the thoughts/observations of those of you who were there, or who paid for the video feed.

The down side of relying on the other team's audio is that you only get bits and pieces of the player name calls for the "other" team, and I can honestly say there were very few mentions of any of UNH's younger players - other than Clark.

Union's radio crew applauding Coach Umile for a conciliatory gesture with Vecchione in the handshake line.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I'll be curious to hear the thoughts/observations of those of you who were there, or who paid for the video feed.

The down side of relying on the other team's audio is that you only get bits and pieces of the player name calls for the "other" team, and I can honestly say there were very few mentions of any of UNH's younger players - other than Clark.

Union's radio crew applauding Coach Umile for a conciliatory gesture with Vecchione in the handshake line.
            Very few on our audio as well.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Chuck:
              I did pay for the video feed. My observation that agrees with what my wife said .... "last year they did not have anyone who could score --- after two games this year --- they still don't have anyone who can score." Quite frankly it is just plain boring hockey ....

Comment

Eichel and Baillargeon were recruited by Jack Parker. I heard that York went all the way to Europe to recruit Eichel without success.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Joey Laleggia withdrew his verbal commitment to UNH in Dec 2010. Brett Pesce committed to UNH the following month (Jan 2011). I wouldn't characterize Pesce as a "talentless plugger". I don't believe it's fair to characterize any Division 1 player that way.
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 10-11-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Kind of surprised by that. Being at the game I honestly thought UNH's best player was Foegele...and by a considerable margin. I thought he and Shane Eiserman were two of the best looking freshmen forwards I've seen come through UNH in some time. Definitely on a different level out of the gate than many of the kids we've seen come through the last few years.

Didn't see as much from Poturalski and McNicholas, but I'm glad Umile is playing those guys instead of some of the juniors that haven't been able to get it done in the past. Let's build for the future...makes sense to me.

Truthfully thought UNH played a great road game,except for those horrific 3 minutes in the 2nd period. The first shorty was just an unlucky bounce where our D didn't know where the carom went at the offensive blueline..and it just took the wind out of their sails. The second shorty came from a pretty inexcusable lack of effort by several UNH players who just stood still while Union players put forth a tremendous effort to get to the net and bang in a rebound while shorthanded. Was almost like UNH didn't expect Union to press the issue that hard offensively while they were down a man. Third goal was another case of a forward getting beat while covering for a D, but quite frankly it was a shot I think Clark should have saved.

I think this team will be okay this year. They certainly won't be awful. The results are going to hinge largely on the play of their goaltender...and unfortunately I think UNH may need Tirone in the 2nd semester. Clark made some good stops, but also gave up a lot of big rebounds and on occasion found himself way out of the play and took forever to recover only to be bailed out by UNH players blocking shots.

Speaking of which, it seemed like this group was a lot more willing to compete defensively and try to block shots than UNH teams in the past, so that is a good sign.

One thing UNH really lacks is a real puck moving defenseman. I think this was evident in the few PP situations UNH had too. Downing is playing the point, really out of necessity because we don't have much vision or creativity back on the blueline...but Downing doesn't have great speed and at times can get a little lazy, so it's a tradeoff UNH is going to have to live with. Pesce is not a natural offensive player and the jury is still out on Marks and Furgele. Rich Boyd was a real good puck mover in prep school, but obviously that's an entirely different level than playing at UNH. I have to think if he was ready he'd be out there because of the style he plays...so the fact he's not playing is probably pretty telling.

Speaking of the PP, the sooner they can get Eiserman involved in place of Gaudreault the better. Gaudreault has never shown any real offensive upside. He is what he is...a solid lower line player. Eiserman is already a better, more skilled version of what MG brings to the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                      Kind of surprised by that. Being at the game I honestly thought UNH's best player was Foegele...and by a considerable margin. I thought he and Shane Eiserman were two of the best looking freshmen forwards I've seen come through UNH in some time. Definitely on a different level out of the gate than many of the kids we've seen come through the last few years.

Didn't see as much from Poturalski and McNicholas, but I'm glad Umile is playing those guys instead of some of the juniors that haven't been able to get it done in the past. Let's build for the future...makes sense to me.

Truthfully thought UNH played a great road game,except for those horrific 3 minutes in the 2nd period. The first shorty was just an unlucky bounce where our D didn't know where the carom went at the offensive blueline..and it just took the wind out of their sails. The second shorty came from a pretty inexcusable lack of effort by several UNH players who just stood still while Union players put forth a tremendous effort to get to the net and bang in a rebound while shorthanded. Was almost like UNH didn't expect Union to press the issue that hard offensively while they were down a man. Third goal was another case of a forward getting beat while covering for a D, but quite frankly it was a shot I think Clark should have saved.

I think this team will be okay this year. They certainly won't be awful. The results are going to hinge largely on the play of their goaltender...and unfortunately I think UNH may need Tirone in the 2nd semester. Clark made some good stops, but also gave up a lot of big rebounds and on occasion found himself way out of the play and took forever to recover only to be bailed out by UNH players blocking shots.

Speaking of which, it seemed like this group was a lot more willing to compete defensively and try to block shots than UNH teams in the past, so that is a good sign.

One thing UNH really lacks is a real puck moving defenseman. I think this was evident in the few PP situations UNH had too. Downing is playing the point, really out of necessity because we don't have much vision or creativity back on the blueline...but Downing doesn't have great speed and at times can get a little lazy, so it's a tradeoff UNH is going to have to live with. Pesce is not a natural offensive player and the jury is still out on Marks and Furgele. Rich Boyd was a real good puck mover in prep school, but obviously that's an entirely different level than playing at UNH. I have to think if he was ready he'd be out there because of the style he plays...so the fact he's not playing is probably pretty telling.

Speaking of the PP, the sooner they can get Eiserman involved in place of Gaudreault the better. Gaudreault has never shown any real offensive upside. He is what he is...a solid lower line player. Eiserman is already a better, more skilled version of what MG brings to the table.
                      Excellent post dead on and objective!! Really have to agree with your observation of Shane Eiserman; he showed obvious puck skills skates very well. Can't wait to see him develop as well as the others! These kids are the immediate future of UNH hockey and I hope and pray they get the chance to develop...Buckle up boys when all is said and done I think in the end it will be worth the ride! Onward 'Cats!
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-12-2014, 08:09 AM.
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        Joey Laleggia withdrew his verbal commitment to UNH in Dec 2010. Brett Pesce committed to UNH the following month (Jan 2011). I wouldn't characterize Pesce as a "talentless plugger". I don't believe it's fair to characterize any Division 1 player that way.
                        Thankfully I didn't refer to Pesce as a talentless plugger. Laleggia chose to look elsewhere when he returned to Penticton late summer 2010. Presumably Laleggia, like Vecchione, felt UNH had not lived up to the promises when he verballed. Recruiting pesce had nothing to do with replacing his loss. UNH was wrong on both cases and lost kids who would be their top 4 talented kids. To their credit, UNH seems to be more honest with the recruits about their ETA.

You know well who the talentless pluggers are/were the last five years. If the rhetoric of that moniker bothers you, then I will use non-NCAA top 4 line talent instead.

As to other changes, I'm glad to see Stewart came on as an assistant, after we were told in 2012 that the reason Umile hired his 54 year old friend rather than Stewart was that it would be a money issue.

I'm also glad Liam Blackburn managed the difficult admissions issues that we were told had prevented UNH from getting talented players the last decade.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Having watched and covered UNH recruits for a few years, I've witnessed the sacrifices they and their families make chasing the dream of playing Division 1 hockey. All of them deserve a basic level of respect on this thread. Predicting whether a recruit will ever be a top 2-line forward or top 4 Dman is fair and makes for interesting discussion.

Comment

Also, offering opinions about a player's potential "upside" is fun and makes for a spirited discussion. With it comes the caveat that these predictions can be tricky and sometimes totally miss the mark. For example, how many of us would have predicted that Matt Willows or Austin Block had so much "offensive upside"?

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                              Having watched and covered UNH recruits for a few years, I've witnessed the sacrifices they and their families make chasing the dream of playing Division 1 hockey. All of them deserve a basic level of respect on this thread.
                              I agree. And the players and their families deserve not only respect from nameless posters on an insignificant web thread, but I go further and believe that they also deserve respect and integrity from coaches who actually control their fates. When two of the best players are so upset that they choose to leave the team to which they had been committed, because the believe they were promised when they could achieve their dreams, and the money they would get from the school, that's pretty significant, right?

When it happens more than once, its a pattern, and I tend to blame the "adult" coaches who earn hundreds of thousands of dollars each year and whose job it is to communicate clearly. I assume you agree?
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

God knows I'm not a BC boostah and in their little Comm Ave. border war, I've always leaned strongly towards Coach Parker and BU. And I'll readily admit I leave it to guys like you and C-H-C to evaluate the recruiting wars. But what I saw out there on the ice for BU last season was pretty dismal. I'm just not ready to annoint any incoming class at any school as the "motherlode" until they actually produce. Especially when the coach isn't someone who has an established track record in the job at the particular school. Too many assumptions equate to too many moving parts for my liking. It may come to pass, but I need to see more than a good scouting report.

Let's not forget how many times over the last couple of decades when Harvard supposedly brought in a haul of blue-chip prospects, and they never quite set the then-down-"EZAC" on fire.

Suspect we're seeing an early preview of the season in the second period ... UNH grabs a quick lead, overcomes some "home cooking" in the form of four (4) straight PK's ... then get their first PP, quickly concede two (2) SHG's within seconds and then hokydad's surrogate son lights the lamp, and before you can say "Hey, this isn't going badly at all", UNH is down 3-1. Oh well. Get used to it.
                                ECAC gets hometown reffing? That's news to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X