Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    hahaha now that's some good you know what. Wait til your daddy gets home (Chuck)
    You got that right, HR. I'm not going to gloat over the worthless SOG *winning* streak (although kudos to the PC player for a very worthy and relevant GWG), but would rather concentrate on the take from the CHN blog, which seems almost alarmist in its overreaction towards some simple issues:

UNH is struggling to find a way. There is something amiss in Durham these days and the whole team knows it. It is not like it is struggling, because it has played well and still lost of late. The problem lies with its situational play, which has been borderline bad, but then again UNH is one of the youngest teams in Hockey East. It is not only the young guys but it is every player that has put on the UNH uniform this season, which has to be alarming for UNH coach, Dick Umile.

Yes, they're struggling ... no they aren't struggling. Amateur hour at its best.

And wow, a young, inexperienced team struggling (or not? ) with situational play? That like never happens, does it?

The only "alarming" thing Coach Umile "struggled" with last night is the apparent long-term injury to the player he could least afford to lose. The urgency for development of the youngsters on the blue line has just been ratcheted up several notches; it wil be fascinating to see which of the youngsters seize the opportunity and emerge as the leaders. Let's face it - if the development of this team goes along realistic timetables, the current d-crew (minus Pesce) are going to be the guys who are there when the next really big games for this program happen. They certainly have exceeded my expectations defensively so far, but none of them has really filled the gaping chasm in offensive production left by the departures of TvR and Knodel (and even to a lesser extent Agosta).

FWIW, given the current competitive chaos surrounding the 'Cats right now, I'm bucking the trend (being the *heretic* among us ), and will predict UNH wins their annual "Tuesday night before Thanksgiving crash-out against ECAC competition" this time around. And they will even *lose* on the SOG's while taking two points. You read it here first, folks.
    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      That's cool you had the chance to be at Yost Arena! They sure have an awesome jumbotron ! I tell you the minute I win powerball....haha
      I think some renovations were scheduled for Yost since my only visit four years ago October, as the arena did not appear all that state of the art at that time. Yes, they did have a Jumbotron then. But, great history in that renovated old barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        You got that right, HR. I'm not going to gloat over the worthless SOG *winning* streak (although kudos to the PC player for a very worthy and relevant GWG), but would rather concentrate on the take from the CHN blog, which seems almost alarmist in its overreaction towards some simple issues:
        Truth be told, the GWA (game winning assist) is probably more relevant/slash meaningful than the GWG!!!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I think some renovations were scheduled for Yost since my only visit four years ago October, as the arena did not appear all that state of the art at that time. Yes, they did have a Jumbotron then. But, great history in that renovated old barn.
          The board signage directly in front of the home bench: "9 National Championships, 28 Conference Championships, 87 All Americans, 93 Years of Hockey". All the banners, not one that isn't for a championship. Truly awesome.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            The board signage directly in front of the home bench: "9 National Championships, 28 Conference Championships, 87 All Americans, 93 Years of Hockey". All the banners, not one that isn't for a championship. Truly awesome.
            It's an incredible facility. The walls of fame are trophies (hardware!!) are a sight to behold. It is a bit of a barn, but I'd take it any day. Got to see a game in the Big House and in Yost. Made me wish I applied myself in high school instead of screwing off.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              The two barns I want to go to are Bright and Yost. I have been to many including The Gutt, Mathews, Walter Brown, the Union barn, Knickerbacker, Thompson Arena, Davis Rink (old Dartmouth rink), and many more!

Comment

This past Friday night was my visit to Bright, and apparently it saw a facelift this past off season. A lot of great history on their walls, too, including photos of the Cleary brothers who skated for the US Olympic team at Squaw Valley in 1960.

But, I agree, Yost has the most impressive hardware display, and great fans also. When I was at Yost for opening weekend four years ago, I joined a bunch of Bentley alums and player families for a tailgater in an adjacent parking lot. Probably illegal, but the cops and fans were so taken aback that they engaged us in much enjoyable conversation. Good bunch who post on this board, as well. Of course, they have been a bit humbled the past few years, as it has been a while since they have added much hardware. But, the Wolverines have always seemed to have had our number in the post-season.

Comment

Any idea what to expect from the Engineers Tues night? I mean they swept Union beat ND Dartmouth...not that it means a whole lot. Going through the other night the Seniors seemed a bit despondent over Saturday's loss...hoping to turn the corner! Glad they have a break this Thanksgiving as they are not playing so that's good...then we hit BC that first Dec weekend. Onward 'Cats!
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    The two barns I want to go to are Bright and Yost. I have been to many including The Gutt, Mathews, Walter Brown, the Union barn, Knickerbacker, Thompson Arena, Davis Rink (old Dartmouth rink), and many more!
                    Have been to Bright a few times, believe it just got renovated but was a dump prior. Was not befitting of an Ivy League institution at all. Only time it has any atmosphere is when Cornell comes to town as the Faithful take over the rink.

While on the subject, made the trip to Lynah a few years back when UNH played out there - building itself looked in need of some work, bathrooms are basically in a closet, and concessions are all in one end of the arena (good luck!). The atmosphere was good, noise from the students is consistent through the game and it's band only on stoppages, but I was expecting venom after having knocked them out the NCAA's the year prior in Albany and they never seemed to stray from the ELynah cheer sheet.
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      Have been to Bright a few times, believe it just got renovated but was a dump prior. Was not befitting of an Ivy League institution at all. Only time it has any atmosphere is when Cornell comes to town as the Faithful take over the rink.
                      I've only seen it in the movie Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali Macgraw. Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                        Have been to Bright a few times, believe it just got renovated but was a dump prior.
                        Been there many times. I would never describe Bright as a dump, but then again, I don't describe Lawler Arena at Merrimack as a dump either, like many folks do. Bright is 10 times nicer than Lawler, IMO.

IMO, any building with an ice sheet and hockey nets ain't no dump, but that's what makes the world go round.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Been there many times. I would never describe Bright as a dump, but then again, I don't describe Lawler Arena at Merrimack as a dump either, like many folks do. Bright is 10 times nicer than Lawler, IMO.

IMO, any building with an ice sheet and hockey nets ain't no dump, but that's what makes the world go round.
                          I odn't think Bright is a dump. I do think it's dated. And needed some upgrades, like adding a back to the one seat in the arena that didn't have one. Which coincidentally was my seat the last time I was there. And updating the look of their 1989 national championship banner (though I htink they finally did that - it was multi colored. So not Harvard and totally 80s looking).

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            I've only seen it in the movie Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali Macgraw. Does that count?
                            Haha its funny you say that for some crazy reason just watched that on Amazin for old times sake! Guess I've been there too😉...

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              Please, please, .....please ..... have this happen at the Whitt. As it is now it is just plain obnoxious,
                              Hear that! Somehow "Talk Dirty to Me" just doesn't fit although the student section seems to dig it. My UNH alum daughter was with us at the PC game and she thought the pre recorded music basically reeked (her words).

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Haha its funny you say that for some crazy reason just watched that on Amazin for old times sake! Guess I've been there too��...
                                Great movie. Classic for it's time. The hockey scenes are priceless. It would be interesting to know who the hockey players were in those scenes. For some reason I think there may have been some UNH players from that era but I might be making that up!!
                                Last edited by e.cat; 11-24-2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X