Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    Also, offering opinions about a player's potential "upside" is fun and makes for a spirited discussion. With it comes the caveat that these predictions can be tricky and sometimes totally miss the mark. For example, how many of us would have predicted that Matt Willows or Austin Block had so much "offensive upside"?
    Block, no. But Willows led his league in scoring (I think). I've been waiting for more from him, ala Paul Thompson.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

    Comment


    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

      Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      Block, no. But Willows led his league in scoring (I think). I've been waiting for more from him, ala Paul Thompson.
      If memory serves me correctly, Block was only really on fire at the start of his senior season, and tailed off later in the season. Not like he didn't have lots of company with that issue. It's apparently a UNH thing.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Darius View Post
        A hockey recruiting question came to mind watching the football 'cats yesterday. BTW it was great seeing Cowell on (almost?) national TV. The announcers held us in high regard, said some very positive things about the UNH team. Nice Durham sunset . Yea, lights!

        Anyway, watching Vailas got me wondering about in state recruiting...

        The football team has 21 NH of 101 (yikes!) total players = 20% from NH.
        The hockey team has 3 NH of 28 total players = 11% from NH.

        Apples/oranges applies here with the football roster size allowing "extra" players to be "hidden" to a degree, but for sake of argument is it possible that the State of NH produces UNH quality football players at twice the rate of hockey players?

        A long time pet peeve of mine is seeing NH bred players on other college, especially HEA rosters. We might not be able to successfully recruit elite in state talent like a Freddy Meyer, but do some players not consider UNH, are not considered by UNH, decide they'd rather play for another school because of academics/location/playing opportunities/coaching staff/$cholar$hip offers?

        There are 5 NH players on other HEA rosters, BC's Zach Sanford from Auburn the only one drafted (WSH).

        Thoughts?
        Apologies for including the whole quote, harder to edit on the phone ... Not sure I see football vs hockey recruiting a fair comparison. Hockey competes with the best programs in the country in a field of only 59 teams and only 18 scholarships. Football plays in the second tier behind a larger field of BCS teams. If NH were a football hotbed, those kids would be off to Alabama. They're just not playing at the same level as Texas and Florida high schools.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

        Comment


        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

          Hey you guys have a pretty good team with a bunch of young guys. Give them and a chance and I see good things. I thought Clark was excellent in a tough spot, and wow is he big. Enjoyed chatting with a bunch of UNH Fans last night. Good luck.

          In case you didn't pick this up, former Wildcat Paul Thompson scored 4 goals last night in Albany Devils season opener v Adirondack. First A Devil to get four since Bobby Butler. You remember him, I'm sure.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            Hey you guys have a pretty good team with a bunch of young guys. Give them and a chance and I see good things. I thought Clark was excellent in a tough spot, and wow is he big. Enjoyed chatting with a bunch of UNH Fans last night. Good luck.

            In case you didn't pick this up, former Wildcat Paul Thompson scored 4 goals last night in Albany Devils season opener v Adirondack. First A Devil to get four since Bobby Butler. You remember him, I'm sure.
            Were Union fans this gracious before the team won the National Championship? ;-)

            On another note - the University of Alaska Anchorage downed Maine and Wisconsin over the weekend:

            http://www.goseawolves.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6373

            Congrats to Assistant Coach Josh Ciocco.
            Last edited by C-H-C; 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

            Comment


            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

              Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              Apologies for including the whole quote, harder to edit on the phone ... Not sure I see football vs hockey recruiting a fair comparison. Hockey competes with the best programs in the country in a field of only 59 teams and only 18 scholarships. Football plays in the second tier behind a larger field of BCS teams. If NH were a football hotbed, those kids would be off to Alabama. They're just not playing at the same level as Texas and Florida high schools.
              Very true. I guess where I am going with this is that if we fill out our hockey roster with less than elite national talent, why not do it with academically qualified top NH players, at least making it a priority to put UNH on their radar, making every effort to have them visit Durham. Maybe we do this?

              Colin Borque - was he widely recruited and chose UNH? What about BC's Sanford? Did UNH go after him?
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

              Comment


              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Very true. I guess where I am going with this is that if we fill out our hockey roster with less than elite national talent, why not do it with academically qualified top NH players, at least making it a priority to put UNH on their radar, making every effort to have them visit Durham. Maybe we do this?

                Colin Borque - was he widely recruited and chose UNH? What about BC's Sanford? Did UNH go after him?
                I like this thinking, keep NH kids in NH. I hated seeing Rhealt (sp?) down at Proviced (my daughter played with his sisters). In theory they try to do this with the smart kids (am I allowed to say that at the risk of damaging the psyches of the "less" smart kids?) with their valedictorians scholarship program. Too bad they don't actually fund it.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

                Comment


                • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                  Was great to see UNH this weekend at Union. Thought overall that they played pretty decently for a game against the National Champs, even if Union was missing 3 guys.
                  Thought the Frosh played well and at times were arguably the best players on the ice.

                  Would love to see an al Frosh line! Could easily put McNicholas or Putaralski with Eiserman and Foegele and compete just fine. But even if not, the Fr. Forwards are good enough to give UNH Quality depth they have not probably had in a long long time. Anyway, I hope they get as much playing time as possible.

                  Hopefully the Leaders can get it together, because they did play well aside from that 5minute brain fart in the second. My father in law, a Union fan, even thought that UNH played harder and hustled more than the home team.. Yes" being down by 2 for half the game will make you do that! But seriously, they did shut down the National Champs Powerplay and played a very close game otherwise.



                  Go Cats!!
                  Last edited by i'zonprize; 10-13-2014, 03:13 PM.
                  GSP.. Get Some!!

                  Comment


                  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                    Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    We might not be able to successfully recruit elite in state talent like a Freddy Meyer, but do some players not consider UNH, are not considered by UNH, decide they'd rather play for another school because of academics/location/playing opportunities/coaching staff/$cholar$hip offers?
                    Meyer is a hack
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

                    ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

                    Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

                    Comment


                    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                      Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      Meyer is a hack
                      Sure was. He should have been our hack.

                      From the Monarchs' Media Guide:

                      Freddy Meyer - Assistant Coach

                      Meyer, 32, enters his second season with the Manchester Monarchs as the Assistant Coach after retiring from playing professional hockey as a defenseman in April 2012. Meyer is a veteran of 418 NHL and AHL games during a nine-year professional career from 2003-12. The native of Sanbornville, New Hampshire collected 20 goals and 53 assists for 73 points in 281 NHL games with the Philadelphia Flyers, the New York Islanders, the Phoenix Coyotes and the Atlanta Thrashers. He also registered 23 goals and 28 assists for 51 points in 137 career AHL games with the Philadelphia Phantoms and San Antonio Rampage. Meyer scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 31 games for Modo Hockey of the Swedish Elite League during the 2011-12 season before hanging up the skates and moving on to coaching. Meyer was a member of the 2005 Calder Cup winning Phantoms that included current Kings forwards Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. The team was led on the bench by current Kings Assistant Coach John Stevens. As a 2003 graduate of Boston University, Meyer was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team in 2000, was named to the NCAA East First All-American Team and to the Hockey East First All-Star Team in 2003. He signed his first professional contract as an undrafted free agent with the Flyers in 2003. In four seasons on the Terriers’ blueline, Meyer scored 17 goals and 55 assists for 72 points in 126 games while recording 288 penalty minutes. Meyer also represented the Unites States internationally on several occasions throughout his playing career. He skated with the 1999 US Men’s National Under-18 Team, the 2001 US National Junior Team, the 2006 US Men’s National Team and the 2011 US Men’s Select Team. Meyer is married to his wife Lindsey and they have two sons, Freddy (five) and Carter (four), and reside in Winchester, Massachusetts.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                      Comment


                      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                        Well it's Wednesday (almost!) and I'm thinking about the weekend with Michigan...we played them tough at our house last year but that was last year! Hoping the 'Cats can build on the good stuff they put together last weekend (despite the outcome). What's the feed/tv situation? Says Comcast and I checked out the team website and am thinking they offer something as well? Got some fan friends who are heading out alittle too far for me (but one day..) Oh yea and as seen on Twitter, 56 years of coaching between Coach U and Red Berensen... Onward 'Cats!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM.
                        Let's Go SouzaCats!

                        Comment


                        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                          Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Well it's Wednesday (almost!) and I'm thinking about the weekend with Michigan...we played them tough at our house last year but that was last year! Hoping the 'Cats can build on the good stuff they put together last weekend (despite the outcome). What's the feed/tv situation? Says Comcast and I checked out the team website and am thinking they offer something as well? Got some fan friends who are heading out alittle too far for me (but one day..) Oh yea and as seen on Twitter, 56 years of coaching between Coach U and Red Berensen... Onward 'Cats!
                          From what I can tell, Michigan does not offer live video streaming of either Friday or Saturday night's game. Occasionally, btn2go.com will provide live streaming of Michigan games but apparently not this weekend:
                          http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?date=2014-10-17&tids=17

                          The Friday game is on Comcast 900 but that is only in the Michigan area.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

                          Comment


                          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                            Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            From what I can tell, Michigan does not offer live video streaming of either Friday or Saturday night's game. Occasionally, btn2go.com will provide live streaming of Michigan games but apparently not this weekend:
                            http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?date=2014-10-17&tids=17

                            The Friday game is on Comcast 900 but that is only in the Michigan area.
                            Yuck! Seriously a big school like Michigan doesn't have a live feed for this game...?!!? Will have to rely on audio I guess! Thanks for the info! Onward 'Cats!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-15-2014, 06:41 AM.
                            Let's Go SouzaCats!

                            Comment


                            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                              http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...-week.html?m=1

                              Comment


                              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

                                Looks like that extra year in juniors did wonders for him!
                                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                                Men's Hockey

                                ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

                                Women's Hockey
                                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X