Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    And that's why I said the consistency is the part that should be questioned, not the timing. Far too many people are focused on the fact that it was made in OT, which by itself should never be a point of contention.
    I think the reason people are p issing and moaning and b itching about the call is the fact that it was in OT but it would not have been called in regulation. People are complaining about the consistency, just in a round about way.
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by itisibecky View Post
      At the very least.
      When you're talking NU hockey, you can always count on the very least.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        It wasn't a penalty.
        After watching that play on NESN a number of times, I think the ref was really punishing NU for Saucerman's hook on Eichel just before the whistle on Benning. Eichel blew by Sauce (as he had all game) and Sauce stuck his stick under Eichel's arm and started yanking, which could have been called a hook. Then, when Benning did what he did, which would normally not be called a penalty in OT, the ref felt the need to raise his arm. In other words, I believe he was thinking to himself "I let you get away with the Eichel hook, because it's OT and we haven't been calling that all game, but I can't allow a borderline hook twice in a three-second span," so he raised his arm for Benning. The Sauce hook on Eichel was definitely worse than what Benning did. Benning's play may have been technically illegal, but it was mostly just good defense by a Dman protecting the net. Sauce's play was a lazy reach by a guy who wasn't moving his feet all game. Still, a great comeback and a great game by NU, but with the usual bittersweet ending.

Comment

Entertaining game that is a snapshot of what this years team is about. They can give profoundly bad goals, put themselves in a tough spot and still rebound. They play Trick or Treat defense, but don't let the bad moments stop them. (The epitome of this is Colton Saucerman. On ice for three goals against last night. Poor support on BU's first goal when Owens failed to keep the puck in at the point. Horrible screens on both of Grzelcyk's goals.) Haven't seen video of the OT penalty call. Did Benning lift the stick or slash O'Regan's hands and arms?

Comment

Our break doesn't start for two weeks. And we've been that loud and big all year. We've been getting bigger and better each year and just a few years back we were only student run. There will be just as great a band on Saturday as there was at the Garden. I can't speak for the fans, but the band doesn't take breaks. Regardless of the record, it's our job to support the team and the students and we're going to do just that. The band during the opening round of the HEA playoffs will be noticeably smaller because many students will be traveling for basketball, but there will still be one.
            If they gave a Beanpot for best band, you guys/gals win in a rout. Not even close. Keep up the great work.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
              Haven't seen video of the OT penalty call. Did Benning lift the stick or slash O'Regan's hands and arms?
              I just now saw it for the first time. I didn't think it was a penalty on the full speed replay, looked like a couple of guys going at the net. But in slow motion I'm really not sure. I could debate it either way. (Which probably still isn't what you want in a penalty based on the way the game was called) https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/202...oh1EvVyuKohaGO
              Last edited by TheRevengeance; 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                I just now saw it for the first time. I didn't think it was a penalty on the full speed replay, looked like a couple of guys going at the net. But in slow motion I'm really not sure. I could debate it either way. (Which probably still isn't what you want in a penalty based on the way the game was called) https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/202...oh1EvVyuKohaGO
                nu dude has his stick between DoR's legs - lifting one. penalty.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  When you're talking NU hockey, you can always count on the very least.
                  That's cute. Hope you enjoyed the consolation game.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    If they gave a Beanpot for best band, you guys/gals win in a rout. Not even close. Keep up the great work.
                    Thank you! It's appreciated.

Comment

Thank you! It's appreciated.
                      Ditto here; when we visited Matthews this season (first of what I hope will be many trips) enjoyed the band as well...excellent!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                        People are complaining about the consistency, just in a round about way.
                        This is my perspective of this as well. I hated the call. Had a feeling in my gut that we were giving up a ppg for the loss once I saw Benning dragged off. Upon seeing replays, I still don't think it's a penalty. BUT my biggest issue was that it in no way, shape, or form did it match up to the kinds of penalties that had been called. Once a precedent has been set, it's up to the officials go keep it. I'm an umpire for baseball, I know it isn't easy. But the official has the responsibility, and Voss blew it by calling a ticky-tack foul after letting near- murder go uncalled. How bad a call was it? We're talking about it. If it was an obvious trip, or a slash, no one would bat an eye at the refs. This isn't one of those cases. Yes, NU's atrocious penalty kill let up the last goal. But it was a highly debatable and debated call that put them there.

I digress. We'll talk about that call for the next 10 years, or until NU wins the dang thing. What doesn't change is the fact that this was a fantastic game to watch. Both sides controlled play for extended periods of time. NU mounted a comeback against the best 3rd period team in the country to give itself life and its fans hope. NU turnout was amazing, best I've seen- never been prouder of my fellow students. Not just for showing up, but for shaking the garden. 9.5 sections of balcony. Never seen anything like that before. I expect them to be there this weekend too. bu students were outnumbered yet still really into it. Witt and O'Connor both had highlight reel saves. I begrudgingly tip my cap to bu, and eagerly look forward to the weekend. Two good games coming up. Then playoffs, where NU I fully expect will make some noise. This season is far from over. This is where the fun beings.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

I really enjoyed the Beanpot regardless of the results. I left my office at 3pm and had no traffic on the Pike or Storrow drive and made it to the pre-game festivities at Johnnies West End Grill (owned by an NU alum) in time for 3 hours of free food and free trinkets courtesy of the NU Alumni Association who put on a great event, I would bet there were a few hundred in attendance. I met Clay Witts mom and drank beers with Soucerman’s Dad and wished every one the best of luck. Also note worthy, a group of the players form the early 1960’s were in the bar celebrating the 50 years from their MSG win in the NCAA holiday tournament that surprised the entire hockey world and ranked NU #1 in the nation for the 1st time ever 12/28/64 a feat that would not be repeated until 1980, when the team came out of the blocks 12 -0 before finishing 13-13-1. Also that 1963 to 1965 team is the only team in NU hockey history to post three >.500 seasons in a row, and that my fact my fellow hockey faithful is part of the problem with our program.

My seats were near the NU band and far from the ice between kids who I realized they were not even born in 1988 the last time the last time we won. LOL! I would have liked a win but we battled and won 2 periods of that hockey game but lost the war, that happens a lot in NU hockey. Overall, I thought our Huskies played fairly well. Clay made some great saves, and while I can’t fault him for any of the goals, he didn’t have his best night. In order to beat BU, he would need to play nearly perfect between the posts. BU rolls lines of NHL caliber players and some of the best blue chip college players in the nation and we don’t have that luxury. We have some great talent and tremendous heart and could do some damage in the HE or even the NCAA tournament.

Given where we were on two months into the season, you would have to call this a fairly successful season in terms of NU seasons. I mean when you have only had 4 or 5 20 win seasons in 85 years, a 15 or 16 win season is respectable. I have come to accept that it will be unlikely that we will ever be able to compile wins and NCAA tournament bids the likes of the way, BU and BC do. The reasons are varied and can't be extrapolated in the context of this forum. That subject would require its own blog topic. LOL!

However, we will compete, play hard and continue to be respected, a team that nobody wants to play who can steal 2 points on any given weekend night and that is going to have to be good enough. We will eventually steal a beanpot! Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime but lets face it we aren’t going to win 4 or 5 a decade like BU and BC do. That’s ok!

As far as the call, I was too far away to complain at the time, but will admit that after I saw it later on TV in slow motion, I believe it a marginal call at that point of the game. At that point of the game, a good referee has to put his whistle away on that play. I hate to say that a penalty is a penalty, but it's not! In the 1st period when nothing is yet on the line you might call it. You can call that any other time and it would still be a marginal call in the mind of may old school referees, but it may be valid call. However in my view it was not a severe enough infraction to allow for a call at that point of the game. I have refereed hundreds of games in the 1990’s and anyone who is a referee knows what I mean. That call changed the outcome of the game and the game should have been given the opportunity to be decided in 5 on 5 OT.

In a brighter note I am now hoping for my son‘s Wellesley team, who just missed a Super 8 bid, to win a home game this week as they got a #2 seed in the MIA South against Bridgewater-Raynham, in what could be his last bid before he is off for his PG year to play better hockey in the NEPSHIA.

As for this weekend, any points against BU would be welcome but it's going to be difficult. Although, I expect we could win a few games or more in the HE tournament, but would need to go deep for any NCAA bid potential. Looking back with all the early losses, it was the loss at UMASS and the game they dropped to Maine this past weekend that will likely do them in for the Pairwise. Also, I wanted to mention the organizers of the Beanpot in conjunction with TD Garden flew the Huskies back from Orono on Saturday night and also did the same for Harvard who were up in Potsdam to remove 6 hours bus trips and help level the playing field. In the end, their kind gesture didn't matter for either team.
                          Last edited by RossiRules; 02-25-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Could a Northeastern fan(s) give us some perspective on this?

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6108496

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                              Could a Northeastern fan(s) give us some perspective on this?

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6108496
                              Many recent rink designs are considering a barn ceiling to create noise. There is no louder ice hockey arena in America than Matthews Arena. The design requires the movement of mechanical spaces, Lighting , HVAC, and cat walks to be located on the perimeter, adding to the cost. There is an article on it in Graduating Engineer last year.
                              Last edited by RossiRules; 02-25-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X