• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

I see where we have a new recruit:
    Jack Weiss, D-man,
    5’11, 174 lbs, 21 yr.
    NAHL-Minn Wilderness/Rio Grande, combined 50-0-9-9

Based on age limits, I assume he is a late pick up for 2015-16. We only have 26 players currently listed on the roster, including 8 D-men. Hopefully this just adds depth and is not related to any health or eligibility issues with other D-men. Welcome Jack.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      Jack Weiss, D-man,
      5’11, 174 lbs, 21 yr.

Based on age limits, I assume he is a late pick up for 2015-16. We only have 26 players currently listed on the roster, including 8 D-men. Hopefully this just adds depth and is not related to any health or eligibility issues with other D-men. Welcome Jack.
      Right, he has committed for 2015-2016

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        Jack Weiss, D-man,
        5’11, 174 lbs, 21 yr.

Outsider regarding your recruiting, but would you say that you have pulled in similar guys from similar leagues compared to UAA?

For about a decade UAA has been pulling guys in from: BCHL, AJHL, NAHL, and maybe one USHL player per season.

Seems like we both use to pull in more USHL and better recruits on paper back when the CCHA & WCHA were in their prime.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
          Outsider regarding your recruiting, but would you say that you have pulled in similar guys from similar leagues compared to UAA?

For about a decade UAA has been pulling guys in from: BCHL, AJHL, NAHL, and maybe one USHL player per season.

Seems like we both use to pull in more USHL and better recruits on paper back when the CCHA & WCHA were in their prime.

It is basically the same for UAF. From the current roster:

BCHL players: 7
          AJHL players: 4
          NAHL players: 5
          USHL players: 8
          SJHL players: 1

I actually surprised to see 8 USHL players, i thought that number was lower.

Comment

• Only 25 on roster, who left besides the Sr's from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFan View Post
              Only 25 on roster, who left besides the Sr's from last year.
              Looks like Shawn Hochhausen, Jr. center, was just dropped from the roster last night. I doubt it was an accident, but haven’t heard anything about it either. That would mean that Payrako (expected) and Hochhausen (unexpected) have left the team in addition to the seniors.

The roster wasn’t updated for new recruit Jack Weiss, which would take us back to 26. Maybe I’ll hear the scoop at tonight’s “Select-a-Seat Season Preview” event tonight at 5:00pm. at the Carlson.

Here is what I have for what our feeder systems have looked like over the last several years:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

School starts next week and I have an idea for a season thread, so I may start one after tonight’s event at the Carlson.

Go Nooks!
              "Who got the Cup?"
              UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post

For the most part we have pulled from the same leagues. But, frankly, I think we've gotten better individual players (Parayko, Morley, Kunyk, Taranto, etc) than what UAA has been able to get in recent years. Our staff has done a good job finding under the radar guys and developing them. But it sounds like Thomas is stepping up his game in recruiting.

One difference is we pull a lot more USHL guys than we used to, along with more American-born players. The old joke was we were U eh F due to the proliferation of Canadians on our roster.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Guys, let me write some thoughts

I can not wait to see if John Keeney can rebound from an awful last season for him. He looked like the real deal as a Freshman and now he will have his last chance to shine. He has had a weird career. Davis Jones will be the starter goalie but he is a bit inconsistent and he is not established yet as a 100% reliable goalie in my opinion so i think Keeney will have another chance. It will be hard try to repair Cahill's loss, though.

I am worried about the defense, a really YOUNG defense. It is not just the loss of Parayko, but also guys like Trevor Campbell or Nolan Kaiser. Atkinson needs to step up as a leader and i have high hopes for Zach Frye. Really looking forward to see Justin Woods back in the ice, that will be an emotional moment.

I feel very confortable with the forward core. Morley and Basara are back and i feel like Krieger will explode into a great player. Huysmans should have a better year. Ryker Leer has had good stats last year and would be good as a Freshman.

Can not wait!! Go Nooks!!

Comment

Well deserverd by both players.

On Monday, Alaska Nanooks hockey senior Tyler Morley was selected by the Mankato Free Press Western Collegiate Hockey Association Coaches and Media as the Preseason Player of the Year. The WCHA Preseason Poll was also released on Monday, and the Nanooks were picked at No. 5 to open the 2015-16 season by both the Mankato Free Press and Bemidji Pioneer.

Morley is coming off of a 2014-15 campaign that saw him finish third in overall scoring in the WCHA with 37 point in 32 games. The center collected 15 goals and handed out 22 assists overall on the year, and really stood out in WCHA games, as he scored 33 points (14 goals, 19 assists) in 28 league games, which was the second-most points posted in conference play. The Burnaby, British Columbia native has 13 multi-point weekends and posted 12 multi-point games a year ago. Morley enters his final season with Alaska just eight points shy of entering the program's 100-point club, as he has posted 92 points so far with 42 goals and 50 assists.

"Tyler had a great season last year and it's quite an honor for him to be selected as the Co-Preseason Player of the Year," said head coach Dallas Ferguson. "He was able to come back from a knee injury last season and he put in a lot of work to become a high-level player. He is a great player and he will play a big part in our team's success this season. It's nice for him to be recognized by the other coaches and media in this league, it shows a lot of respect in the way he plays the game."

Morley was also the lone Alaska representative on the Preseason All-WCHA team, as he was selected by both polls to the all-conference preseason team.

The Bemidji Pioneer Poll selected Minnesota State's Bryce Gervais as their WHCA Preseason Player of the Year, forcing a tie between the two returning standouts.

The Nanooks found themselves in a very familiar position in both WCHA Preseason Polls, as they were selected fifth for the second-consecutive season. The Nanooks finished the 2014-15 campaign with a 19-13-2 mark and 14-12- in WCHA play.

"These preseason polls are always interesting because you want to see what people on the outside think of your program," said Ferguson. "We've been either in this fifth spot or close to it since we entered the WCHA three years ago. Sometimes when you're in the middle, people don't know if you're going to be better or worse than the previous year, and it's our job to prove to everyone that we'll be closer to the top than the bottom."

The 19 wins last year was the most for the Nanooks under Coach Ferguson, and it included a pair of wins over a team that spent some time at No. 1 in the nation last season, Minnesota State, and two wins over Alaska Anchorage, which included a shootout in the final game to claim the program's sixth-straight Governor's Cup.

The 2015-16 hockey season unofficially gets underway this Saturday, as the Nanooks host its annual Blue vs. Gold Game. The exhibition will be held at the Patty Ice Center on the campus of UAF with the first face-off scheduled for 7:07 p.m.

For more information on the Alaska Nanooks hockey team, follow @NanooksHockey on Twitter or like Alaska Nanooks Hockey on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                    X