Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

If our PP percentage was higher, we wouldn't even be talking about goalies, except how great it is to have two awesome ones.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      If our PP percentage was higher, we wouldn't even be talking about goalies, except how great it is to have two awesome ones.

Powers &8^]
      Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
        I was talking with Robert Morris coach Derek Schooley before the game on Friday and he said that he would prefer to have a go-to goalie in the playoffs like last year (when Izyk was forced into the role because of an injury to Shafer). He hinted that he was breaking up the rotation he has used all year, but in the end he did not, at least not last weekend.

He and I were trying to remember times when a tandem had been successful in the postseason, and we both came up with Maine in 1993 (Garth Snow and Mike Dunham) and Miami in 2009 (Connor Knapp and Cody Reichard). It can be done.
        I suspect part of the reason they continued to platoon was because by clinching Friday, the Saturday game was essentially meaningless to them. Sure they want to win it, but if they lose it has no effect on their season or postseason, so why not let the guy you project to be #2 for the playoffs start one more? It'll be more interesting to see what they do next week.

Also two times in the last 20+ years by much higher profile teams than RIT does not give me confidence in the idea of a postseason goalie platoon.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          Let's face the facts, both goalies are pretty even this season, showing signs of brilliance and then moments of weakness and just having to play in front of a team that sometimes didn't score enough.

RIT has gotten to this point in the season on the play of the entire team and quite honesty, are not in a bad position in the standings. Get some points this weekend and they can get a bye week or at least a home play-off game to start. Can you honestly ask for anything more than that?
          I agree, I think they've both been pretty decent. Ruby has the better numbers, and while he hasn't quite shaken the soft goal habit he's also vastly improved in terms of not letting games get away from him. On Friday night the team as a whole could have let the game get away from them after having a couple pretty obvious penalties go uncalled then having RoMo tie the game on an awful call, followed immediately by taking another penalty. That felt like the kind of game that got away from us over the past couple of years, but they responded well.

It's also nice to see them starting to win their share of low scoring games. A couple shutouts that were low scoring throughout (I think both games were 1-0 after 2), and the Sacred Heart win was 2-1 until they added a PPG in the dying seconds.

Comment

Powers &8^]
            "If"s and "But"s still aren't candy and nuts.
            If the PP was better... If the goaltending was elite... If more than just MGM scored in the first 2/3 of the season... If the defense rounded into form earlier in the season... If the offense capitalized on their chances in the first half of the season...
            Considering all of the apparent shortcomings we keep pointing out throughout this season, this team really isn't in bad shape at all. They clearly can contend for a championship and seem to be playing their best hockey right now.

But... I would hesitate to use the word "awesome" just yet for these goalies. They've been very good much of the time with a few good to not-so-good outings. I'll save "awesome" for performances like Morris, Euvermann, Madolora and DeMichiel.
            IMO, Ruby's performance has been approaching that level this season, but then he occasionally makes just enough mistakes (or mistakes that are timed in just the worst way) to put a bit of a damper on things. Friday is a perfect example. I was quite impressed with how he played for most of the game. But he went and made just 3 mistakes and they all bit him in the a**. He kicked a rebound right into the slot, left a gap against the post (however tiny it was), and hesitated on his poke-check attempt on Wydo. That was it. The rest of the game he was excellent. But as has been said earlier, you can make 99% great plays and the 1% bad ones can make it all for naught if they're timed just right.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Two of the top five plays this week occurred at the Polisseni Center:

http://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-...ural-hat-trick
              TIGERS HOCKEY
              Rochester Institute of Technology

Comment

Finally got to watch the highlights of Fridays game. Holy GOD. Three of those goals that went in were TERRIBLE. Not saying Rotolo would have done much better, but god those are goals you just can't give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wve-Us0Psn4
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                  Three of those goals that went in were TERRIBLE.
                  Yeah, I still don't know how Mikowski's shot made it past Izyk.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Today for the Amerks (5-1 win over Lake Erie), Burt was +1 with 1 SOG and 2 PIM.

Powers &8^]
                    Last edited by LtPowers; 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I still don't know how Mikowski's shot made it past Izyk.

Powers &8^]
                      Yeah, I don't think either Robert Morris goalie played particularly well. Their numbers look ok in net so you have to wonder if it was just an off week for both of them, or if RIT was able to put Robert Morris under more pressure defensively than most teams in Atlantic Hockey have been able to. But Mikowski's goal was the stinker of the weekend, from a goaltending perspective. I'm not surprised they went with Schafer on Saturday, conference clinched or not. That wasn't the start you want to see from a guy you want to take the starter's job and run.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                        Yeah, I don't think either Robert Morris goalie played particularly well. Their numbers look ok in net so you have to wonder if it was just an off week for both of them, or if RIT was able to put Robert Morris under more pressure defensively than most teams in Atlantic Hockey have been able to. But Mikowski's goal was the stinker of the weekend, from a goaltending perspective. I'm not surprised they went with Schafer on Saturday, conference clinched or not. That wasn't the start you want to see from a guy you want to take the starter's job and run.
                        Robert Morris has seemingly been alternating goaltenders - or at least both goalies that played had a similar amount of games. This may be what they do. So I don't know if they have a #1 goalie.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                        X