2014-15 Hockey East : Part 1....... of 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-15 Hockey East : Part 1....... of 1

Maine CONCERNS: Goaltending/Secondary Scoring/Winning away from Alfond Arena.

Comment

Hockey East Media Poll:

1) Providence (26 of 36 first place votes)
      2) Boston College (8)
      3) boston university (2)
      4) Northeastern
      5) UMass-Lowell
      6) Maine
      7T) Vermont
      7T) Notre Dame
      9) New Hampshire
      10) Merrimack
      11) UMass
      12) UConn

Preseason All-Hockey East 1st Team:
      F Ross Mauermann (PC)
      F Kevin Roy (NU)
      F Devin Shore (Maine)
      D: Ben Hutton (Maine)
      D: Mike Matheson (BC)
      G: Jon Gillies (PC)

Media day is tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing what the coaches and players have to say.
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

bu got two first place votes, which pushed them into third place. There must have been a couple of members of the media who were either alums or really enjoyed the post game buffet and the DQ flavored Kool-Aid..

If Roy doesn't make the HEA 1st team, Szmatula should be right there in the mix. He and Mauermann play similar games. Both are lots of fun to watch.
        Last edited by HHound; 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
          bu got two first place votes, which pushed them into third place. There must have been a couple of members of the media who were either alums or really enjoyed the post game buffet and the DQ flavored Kool-Aid..

If Roy doesn't make the HEA 1st team, Szmatula should be right there in the mix. He and Mauermann play similar games. Both are lots of fun to watch.

Likely alums

Comment

Here's ther HEA Coaches Poll
            http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...9/sep22hea.php

NU and Lowell each got a 1st place vote. Hmmm.. Do they have an alum among the other HEA coaches?

Comment

NU and Lowell each got a 1st place vote. Hmmm.. Do they have an alum among the other HEA coaches?
              We've mentioned in the past the sometimes political nature of the coach vote. My guess is one of the coaches said "well, they won the last two titles therefore they deserve the respect". IIRC, I don't think coaches can vote for their own school but I could be wrong.

Edit: 7th is about where i would put us... Hoping for back to back to back tourney titles of course
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

It's almost like they don't follow college hockey? Those are some seriously screwy picks...
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                  Merrimack -

Offense was a major struggle last year for the Warriors, and sadly their top producer Mike Collins has graduated. Also unfortunate is the departure of top prospect Austin Plevy from campus before the season starts. Some returning forwards to keep an eye on include Hampus Gustafsson, Vinny Scotti and senior Josh Myers.

We aren't losing as much on defense (Ellis and Heywood). I've been a big fan of senior captain Dan Kolomatis and I think we saw good signs from transfer Craig Wyszomirski last year. Veteran Warrior Justin Mansfield made the switch to D last year, not sure if he'll be there or at forward this year.

Rasmus Tirronen played himself into the starting slot at goalie last year and looks to be the go-to guy this year. No cause for concern. Freshman Drew Vogler comes in with a fine resume as well.
                  Good post YuppieScum, but a couple of things worth noting:
                  - Josh Myers is no longer on the team, he graduated after this past season, he is now playing professionally in Germany
                  - Vogler is not coming in until 15-16; the freshman goalie with a lot of buzz on campus is Collin Delia - who is profiled here in 2012
                  - These are all worthy mentions, but freshman F Brett Seney should be in the mix offensively as well - he is profiled here by Mike McMahon
                  "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                  "Why?"
                  "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

This is something I posted last week to one of the UNH threads, but having read through this discussion today and not really seeing any UNH assessments, I figured I would re-post it here to try to add to the discussion. Having since seen UNH finish at 5th in the coaches' poll, I am left only to speculate as to the degree and frequency with which several of the voting coaches may have been struck in the ol' melon by flying pucks during their playing days. But subscribing to the adage that opinions are like ... well, you know, everyone has one and everyone thinks theirs don't stink, etc. here are my thoughts on the outlook for the 2014/2015 UNH Wildcats, highlighting some of the key questions facing the program as they look ahead to this season.

I've also included several propositions for some of our gaming-inclined posters (and you know who you are ) to consider, just to keep things interesting for a season where I expect BC and PC (in that order) to fight it out for top honors, and all else (including even regular season warriors UNH) falling in well behind among the ranks of the also-rans (and please feel free to "sleep on UNH" BTW):

* In goal ... will Coach Umile split time initially between Clark and Regan? Or will one of those two get most of the games (based on prior board feedback, the consensus seems to be that Clark will be the lead dog)? If the Clark/Regan combo turns out OK, will Coach Umile leave Tirone in juniors until next season? If the early season combo falters ... is Tirone good enough to take the top job?

* Goalie over/under: The assailant playing 0.5 games in goal for UNH this season. I'll take the under.

* On defense ... it would seem highly likely that Pesce, Cleland and Maller will be three of the four defensemen who will feature in the top two pairings this season. If that proves to be true ... who will emerge as the 4th player in the top two pairings by midseason? Or will Coach Umile spread his top three d-men with one apiece leading the 3 pairings? If so - who plays with Pesce, who plays on Maller's pairing and who plays on Cleland's pairing??

* Defense over/under: UNH will allow 3.00 goals per game this season. I'll take the over (and hope I'm wrong).

* Up front ... who skates on the top line, and who are the centers on all four lines? Where will the goals come from? Which of the frosh will break out early in the season, which will gradually emerge as the season plays out, and which won't get off the start line? Which of the low profile returning players will enjoy their own "breakout" season and start raining goals after a slow start to their UNH careers?

* Offense over/under: UNH will score 3.00 goals per game this season. I'll take the under. If they can get the over, it at least should be a fun and exciting season.

Team outlook: I've said this before, and I'll say it again. UNH will finish in 7th place this coming regular season. I see a slow start, but hopefully with a tough NC early schedule out of the way by 2015, the team will finish stronger, and could be an interesting outlook for the postseason. I don't see a return trip to the Garden OR to the NCAA's, but hopefully we'll be back to both in 2016.

Team over/under: 5.5 wins before Winter break (ties don't count as even a half-win). I'll take the under.
                    Team over/under: 6.5th place in the HE regular season, and 0.5 postseason wins.

* Over/Under propositions from Sully & Fitzy with Chestnut Hill Gaming Enterprises
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

And as I wrote earlier Chuck, its a good thing you have the best coach in college hockey to right the ship up there.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
                        Good post YuppieScum, but a couple of things worth noting:
                        - Josh Myers is no longer on the team, he graduated after this past season, he is now playing professionally in Germany
                        - Vogler is not coming in until 15-16; the freshman goalie with a lot of buzz on campus is Collin Delia - who is profiled here in 2012
                        - These are all worthy mentions, but freshman F Brett Seney should be in the mix offensively as well - he is profiled here by Mike McMahon
                        Good catches! I was trying to sort information from a few different sources while writing that post up and clearly got mixed up. This week I caught up on the Mack Report and actually was about to log in and call myself out on some of it before I got too skewered here. Thanks for letting me off easy!

Nice to see the coaches and media don't have us dead last!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          And as I wrote earlier Chuck, its a good thing you have the best coach in college hockey to right the ship up there.
                          We'll definitely get some valuable insight into Coach Umile's coaching abilities with this year's team.

In fairness to him, there's been quite an exodus of talent - expected AND unexpected - since last March.

Coach Umile may be chomping at the bit to prove the doubters (including me) wrong. I really hope he does.

But he's at retirement age with 20+ years in his job, so the "fire in the belly" factor remains to be seen ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            It's almost like they don't follow college hockey? Those are some seriously screwy picks...
                            Uh oh. Someone feels his Catamounts are being disrespected...
                            Lowell Forever
                            Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                              Uh oh. Someone feels his Catamounts are being disrespected...
                              Not just the Cats, but yes I think they should be higher on the list. I think UNH is too high for one. Seems like Notre Dame is too high as well. On a positive note, UML and UVM should be more competitive so let the flaming begin...
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Working...
                              X