2014-15 Hockey East : Part 1....... of 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014-15 Hockey East : Part 1....... of 1

With the season upon it's time to make some unfounded and utterly useless predictions. But first, perhaps a brief write up of each program so that the predictions aren't totally ignorant.

For Vermont :
    Finished 7th in HE but still managed to earn a trip to the Tourney where they were ousted by the eventual Nation Champs. Finished the season with a #15 ranking in the Poles.

Key Losses : Chris McCarthy, the 3rd Line
    The loss of McCarthy will be a tough hole to fill, besides leading the Cats in points, he was seemingly everywhere on the ice. At times, it was if it he literally willed the team to a victory. Whatever the team needed, McCarthy stepped in and provided and it's hard to see a player on this seasons roster that can fill that role. While UVM did lose 7 players and the experience that goes along with it, the returning players should fill the spots without much trouble.

Key Returners : Mario Puskarich, Kyle Reynolds, Brady Hoffman

UVM returns the reigning HE ROY in Puskarich who tallied a 19-17-36 line. He should continue to lead the team in scoring, although without McCarthy may take a small step back. Reynolds, will return after missing all of last season. As a freshman he was 2nd on the team in scoring and 3rd in his sophomore outing. His return will help to offset the loss of last years seniors. UVM also returns Jr. Brady Hoffman who finished 3rd and 5th in the league in S% and GAA and led the team down the stretch. Should Hoffman falter at all, So. Santaguida is more then capable of filling in and will likely start the season in rotation with Hoffman.

Outlook:

Goaltending should be a strength for this team. Santaguida and Hoffman will have to fight for time between the pipes. Last season saw them split down the middle with Hoff playing 20 games to Santas 19, combining for a respectable 2.32 GAA, .917 S%. With a year of experience I expect both goalies to take a step forward.

Offense: Very little was lost in the way of scoring from last season. McCarthy led the team, however Reynolds should fill much of that void. A number of frosh showed they had some game and should improve this year. The incoming class appears to be more offensively minded and the scoring should increase, however the Cats struggle to score goals year in and year out and this is likely to be the biggest weakness.

Defensive: The Cats lost a top defensmen to graduation, but retain the core group. Paliotta had a tremendous season scoring 27 pts for 3rd on the team in scoring. The Cats return 4 of their top 6 D-men and add a group of frosh that on paper look to be more offensive minded scorers. With the addition of Alexx Privitera there are plenty of veteran d-men to help the incoming recruits in transitioning to HE play.

Overall, I expect Vermont to realistically be fighting for a top 4-6 spot in the league.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: 2014-15 Hockey East : Part 1....... of 1

Hell, the way HE is going, VT could end up #1....

BC lost their entire top line. Yes Elmer Fudd, I mean Jerry York always reloads but that would be a pretty quick turnaround.

Lowell lost their goalie, so I expect a decent drop off from them.

UNH is still cursed with Umile and their goalie got lugged Ray Rice style, so I'm not expecting much there.

BU is doing a good job cleaning house and overturning the roster, but still most likely a couple of years away.

NU always sucks but will once again lead the league in graduates going on to a career in retail security (aka mall cops).

UMass, Merrimac, Notre Dame I'm not too familiar with.

Maine people here at work are telling me the program still needs some work so not expecting big things there unless Walshy's ghost starts paying players again.

That leaves Providence, which will get an emotional lift in November when long time former mayor and ex-con Buddy Cianci makes his triumphant return to City Hall!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Hell, the way HE is going, VT could end up #1....

BC lost their entire top line. Yes Elmer Fudd, I mean Jerry York always reloads but that would be a pretty quick turnaround.

Lowell lost their goalie, so I expect a decent drop off from them.

UNH is still cursed with Umile and their goalie got lugged Ray Rice style, so I'm not expecting much there.

BU is doing a good job cleaning house and overturning the roster, but still most likely a couple of years away.

NU always sucks but will once again lead the league in graduates going on to a career in retail security (aka mall cops).

UMass, Merrimac, Notre Dame I'm not too familiar with.

Maine people here at work are telling me the program still needs some work so not expecting big things there unless Walshy's ghost starts paying players again.

That leaves Providence, which will get an emotional lift in November when long time former mayor and ex-con Buddy Cianci makes his triumphant return to City Hall!

I don't know about that. Vermont won't be as good as you think. And don't sell Maine short. As long as Matty Morris can emerge as a true No. 1, the Black Bears will be fine. They have the scoring punch and their D will be much improved. Maine can definitely be a top-3 team. Don't poke the Black Bears!

Comment

Merrimack -

Offense was a major struggle last year for the Warriors, and sadly their top producer Mike Collins has graduated. Also unfortunate is the departure of top prospect Austin Plevy from campus before the season starts. Some returning forwards to keep an eye on include Hampus Gustafsson, Vinny Scotti and senior Josh Myers.

We aren't losing as much on defense (Ellis and Heywood). I've been a big fan of senior captain Dan Kolomatis and I think we saw good signs from transfer Craig Wyszomirski last year. Veteran Warrior Justin Mansfield made the switch to D last year, not sure if he'll be there or at forward this year.

Rasmus Tirronen played himself into the starting slot at goalie last year and looks to be the go-to guy this year. No cause for concern. Freshman Drew Vogler comes in with a fine resume as well.

There was some drama going on behind the scenes last year with the team, as evidenced by some of the roster moves made last year. No need to speculate or air laundry on that, but the team will be coming back with a fresh slate and some new blood. Ultimately Merrimack will count on seniors stepping up big time and for some immediate contributions from the frosh to be competitive in the HEA this year.

Comment

Since this thread is in danger of going nowhere... much like the UMass hockey team I'll make some predictions in an attempt to jump start it because... well we are only a ~2 weeks out from the start of exhibition games and it's time to start talking some hockey.

#1 BC Loses last years best line in Hockey, but Demko returns and BC remains at the top.
          #2 PC Gilles returns to form and carries PC into the first loser spot.
          #3 NU Roy and Smaztula pack some offensive firepower, but Witt can't repeat last years surprise performance.
          #4 UVM Yes I am a homer. Upgraded D, returning both starting goalies and return of Reynolds make up for the lose of McCarthy
          #5 UMO The loss of Lomberg negates any upwards momentum in the standings
          #6 UML The loss of Hellebuyck hits hard
          #7 ND The only returning goalie has exactly 2 wins... both against UAH.
          #8 UNH There are no points for beating you girlfriend and turtleneck's are out of style.
          #9 BU Quinn makes progress but not enough.
          #10 MC See Yuppie Scum's above post
          #11 UC Because they can't finish lower then UMass
          #12 UMA See above.

Comment

Copied from my post in the NU thread:

1- Providence: The most complete team. Arguably the best goalie in the country. I expect Jankowski to develop further, plus top scorer Mauermann is back.
            2- Boston College: Questions persist about who will put the puck in the net, but they will score their share. They have the best defensive corps in the country, IMHO, may not give up more than 2 goals a game. Demko is a top 3 goalie in the conference.
            3- Northeastern: the Huskies return 9 of their top 10 scorers, in addition to Clay Witt, who completes the trifecta of top HEA goalies. The NU powerplay will improve (I believe). I expect Roy to explode this season, and Szmatula will be right behind him. Secondary scoring will be plentiful for the Hounds.
            4- boston university: Quick rebound for the Terriers. The top American since Mike Modano will certainly help. Uber talented group coming in, increasing skill throughout the lineup. O'Connor is solid in net, and new recruit LaCouvee can push him if he falters. Over-reliance on mostly freshmen would have me worried, but the overall talent level puts them above the next few teams.
            5- Vermont: my surprise team this season. Hoffmann proved he can be a legit D1 goalie, though Santaguida will likely get some time rotating in. Reynolds back from injury will cushion the blow of losing McCarthy, plus Puskarich is the real deal as a scorer. Offensively talented blue line as well will help pick up some scoring slack from the forwards.
            6- Maine: Most underrated player in Hockey East in Devin Shore. He and Hutton will carry the load offensively, but after that, secondary scoring questions exist. Losing Lomberg will hurt them. Biggest question exists in net, after losing Ouelette- can Morris step up and be "the guy?"
            7- Notre Dame: Similar to UNH below, the lost a ton of scoring from last season, in addition to their 4 year starter in net. Ranked above the next two teams because I expect Petersen to be a stud, plus they retain talent in Tynan, Lucia, Hinostroza, and Russo
            8- UMass-Lowell: Lost the best goalie in the nation, their top defenceman, and one of their top offensive weapons. LOTS of new faces coming to the River Hawks this season, plus no clear successor to Hellebuyck in net. I trust Norm's system, but wonder if the talent drop off will be too much.
            9- New Hampshire: Lost the most scoring in Hockey East from last season (61.1%), two of their top 3 goalies, plus lost their goalie in the offseason due to an off-the-field altercation. They seem to have a plan in place for goal, accelerating recruit Tirone for the 2nd semester, but that might be too late to save the season.
            10- Merrimack: Lost top scorer and leader in Mike Collins, and lost their top recruit before the academic year even began. They get the nod over UMass due to the difference in goalie- I trust Tirronen over Mastalerz.
            11- UMass: Lost their top 3 scorers. Getting Montour for the second semester will be a needed boost. I expect Yevenko to develop nicely as a defender. Mastalerz returns in net, but I just don't see the Minutemen scoring much.
            12- UConn: The new guy. Lost their top 3 scorers in addition to their top goalie. Cav will get them up the ranks soon enough, but they will toil at the bottom for a couple of years.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Not much to quibble with here although my own take is that ND might move up a notch or two, probably at the expense of Maine and maybe bu. Also, it's shaping up to be a long, cold winter in No. Andover so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mack looking up at everyone else, including UConn. Northeastern could do even better than you project, depending on how Clay Witt performs.

Anyway, very well written with clear and succinct rationale. Nice job.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Not much to quibble with here although my own take is that ND might move up a notch or two, probably at the expense of Maine and maybe bu. Also, it's shaping up to be a long, cold winter in No. Andover so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mack looking up at everyone else, including UConn. Northeastern could do even better than you project, depending on how Clay Witt performs.

Anyway, very well written with clear and succinct rationale. Nice job.

BC is over rated. goalie has been struggling and will be distracted by wjc.

pc is top team. gillies is healthy and is twice the goalie demko is. look for big things from saracino and tanev, jankowski
                maureman was banged up at end and is healthy this year, big year from him as well

nu will be ok, maybe real good

i thought mcarthy played at BC?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  i thought mcarthy played at BC?
                  With all of your connections I thought you would have known that he de-committed from BC and went to UVM instead... 5 years ago. The name on the back of his jersey may also have given it away, that or his name under UVM's stat sheet, roster, picture on the HE site wearing a UVM jersey... or any freaking news article / box score / etc having to do with UVM. Also the lack of mention in BC's stat sheet or line up may have also been a clue. But hey those things are easy to miss...

Comment

It's borderline funny how you guys have no respect for Maine. Vermont and BU are up WAY too high in a lot of these polls. Maine is better on paper than both of these teams. UVM is especially overrated. Maine is a top-4 team if Morris steps up.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                      It's borderline funny how you guys have no respect for Maine. Vermont and BU are up WAY too high in a lot of these polls. Maine is better on paper than both of these teams. UVM is especially overrated. Maine is a top-4 team if Morris steps up.
                      My thinking for why I ranked them like I did- UVM is largely the same team from last year, maybe slightly better. Maine retains a lot of talent too, but only one of them kept their goalie(s). And I think bu is more talented than Maine, in terms of players top to bottom on the roster. This year I see bu starting a pretty scary run in terms of talent influx. In addition, I value stability and proven success in goal (4 too many years of Chris Rawlings dug that into me). bu and UVM have goalies who have proven their worth in Hockey East. Maine relied so heavily on Ouelette, I don't think we can assume Morris will step up. Could he? Sure. But that massive question mark knocks the team down in my eyes.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Maine still has a hockey team?

Seriously I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself Maine is any good on paper at all. Especially since you lost Lomberg*, which according to your thread he was the next Paul Kariya (what with his 0.5 points per game average over his career and all).

*Kudos to UMaine administration for justly bouncing this criminal from their university before he does any more damage (insert joke about Maine asterisk here).
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I have Maine at #5, you say Maine is a top 4 IF Morris steps up, and that is a big if. Calm down, submit your own predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                            My thinking for why I ranked them like I did- UVM is largely the same team from last year, maybe slightly better. Maine retains a lot of talent too, but only one of them kept their goalie(s). And I think bu is more talented than Maine, in terms of players top to bottom on the roster. This year I see bu starting a pretty scary run in terms of talent influx. In addition, I value stability and proven success in goal (4 too many years of Chris Rawlings dug that into me). bu and UVM have goalies who have proven their worth in Hockey East. Maine relied so heavily on Ouelette, I don't think we can assume Morris will step up. Could he? Sure. But that massive question mark knocks the team down in my eyes.
                            I agree and reasoned similarly. I also think Lomberg's dismissal negates some improvement I would expect in getting more comfortable with Red's system.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              I expect Roy to explode this season, and Szmatula will be right behind him.
                              This is disgusting. Take this filthy talk to the Penn State thread!
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                              X