Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

I want to say this about the goaltending choice:

1. Matty hadn't played since November 8th, and the boys are off next weekend. He needed to get some playing time.
    2. Carmine wasn't super sharp last night, and whether or not that's fatigue, your backup deserves a shot at it when that happens.
    3. An on-his-game Guerriero could have stolen that one from the Huskies.
    4. But only if the power play had been able to do anything.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I want to say this about the goaltending choice:

1. Matty hadn't played since November 8th, and the boys are off next weekend. He needed to get some playing time.
      2. Carmine wasn't super sharp last night, and whether or not that's fatigue, your backup deserves a shot at it when that happens.
      3. An on-his-game Guerriero could have stolen that one from the Huskies.
      4. But only if the power play had been able to do anything.

GFM
      Coach Corbett said Guerriero was fatigued when he talked to Penalty Box Radio, so I figured Larose would be starting. Carmine wasn't even on the line chart last night, so Uhelski was the backup.

The break could not have come at a better time.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I really hope the WCHA notices and never schedules us at home on Thanksgiving/Iron Bowl weekend ever ever ever again.
        Michael Napier - UAH '97
        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
          I really hope the WCHA notices and never schedules us at home on Thanksgiving/Iron Bowl weekend ever ever ever again.
          I'm gonna bet that it happens more often than not just to make travel from the UP more palatable.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
            I really hope the WCHA notices and never schedules anyone at home on Thanksgiving weekend ever ever ever again.
            Fixed it.
            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

How does this make the UAH folks feel?
              http://espn.go.com/college-football/...espnapi_public
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                My son goes to UAB and he's pretty unhappy. I told him Huntsville gets treated the same way.Prof's go to Geoff and Statesman for getting done what they did.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  I'm wholly unsurprised. The difference between UAB's situation and ours is that the full Board of Trustees appears to be involved here, where ours was just as shutdown by the Chancellor/interim president. Some have speculated that Portera did that to make Altenkirch look like the hero, but doing so sacrificed one or two seasons' worth of talent (i.e., the class of '17 would've been better because things wouldn't have been grim for most of their tenure, and the class of '16 might have been better, too).

But this has an air of finality to it, given that they've not been doing non-conference contracts past 2016 for some time now.

Even as I have speculated that UAH might go Division I concurrent with or subsequent to the addition of men's and women's lacrosse, it's very likely that the BoT would block it because they wouldn't want all three system schools at that level. It's probably bad enough that we compete (historically well) at a sport that the big sister doesn't field.

The biggest problem here is money. Is it possible to raise pledges of a few hundred thousand dollars in a few weeks to convince the school that you might make the hockey program be more sustainable? Yes, because we did it. Can you scale that to the numbers that you need for football? I'd be shocked if you could.

RIP, UAB football.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH has a couple of new recruits. Jetlan Houcher, a forward playing for Fort McMurray of the AJHL, and Adam Wilcox, a forward playing for Fairbanks of the NAHL. Both are 94 birth dates so they will be at UAH next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      UAH has a couple of new recruits. Jetlan Houcher, a forward playing for Fort McMurray of the AJHL, and Adam Wilcox, a forward playing for Fairbanks of the NAHL.
                      Adam Wilcox? Oh no you don't!

Oh...FORWARD Adam Wilcox. OK, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        UAH has a couple of new recruits. Jetlan Houcher, a forward playing for Fort McMurray of the AJHL, and Adam Wilcox, a forward playing for Fairbanks of the NAHL. Both are 94 birth dates so they will be at UAH next season.
                        Added to our commitments page: http://uahhockey.com/commitments/

Jetlan sounds like a wonderful hockey name. He's got 38 points in 31 games with Fort McMurray so far...nice.

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        Adam Wilcox? Oh no you don't!

Oh...FORWARD Adam Wilcox. OK, carry on.
                        When I was trying to find more info on Adam, I kept wondering who this Minnesota goalie person was.
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          The biggest problem here is money. Is it possible to raise pledges of a few hundred thousand dollars in a few weeks to convince the school that you might make the hockey program be more sustainable? Yes, because we did it. Can you scale that to the numbers that you need for football? I'd be shocked if you could.

RIP, UAB football.

GFM
                          http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...l#incart_river

A hockey budget at UAH of $1.5 million -- which wouldn't even cover the salaries of the coaching staff of the UAB football team -- was deemed too steep by Portera.
                          Yes, that's the mountain they're facing. It wasn't easy for us to get hockey back, but what they would need to reverse this decision is daunting.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

The only person who can save UAB Football is Dr. Gov. Bentley.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Interesting pickup in Jetlan Houcher. Good size at 6'1 193 and junior hockey vet. Played last year with Saulnier so got to wonder if he's been on our radar for a while now. Putting up real solid numbers up there in the AJ. Seems to be a leader and good kid too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohLckqiAXY

I wonder how his commitment will change or alter our plans. We do not need to have another year like last year where we cut so many guys loose after the season. It doesn't bode well for our reputation. We're losing three seniors up front in Vanderlugt, Pierce, and Reid. And at the moment we really have 13 total skaters (not including walk-ons) so losing those 3 knocks us down to 10 total going in to next year. Traditional knowledge would indicate that we'll bring in 5 forwards to have the normal 15 like most D1 teams tend to do. We have eight forward commits in Salerno, Beaulieu, Marooney, Smits, Wood, Wilcox, Bondarenko, and now Houcher. Bondarenko as a 97 likely will be coming in for 2016-2017. Wilcox and Houcher are 94s so they'll have to be in this year's class. Salerno was supposed to already be here and he's tearing up the OJ so you've got to think he's in too. And Beaulieu and Marooney are having good seasons in top flight junior leagues so I bet they'll be included as well. That appears to leave Wood and Smits out. I hope that is the case. No disrespect to those guys, they're **** fine hockey players, but their numbers in the NA leave a bit to be desired. Coaching staff likely realizes this and sends them back for another year of juniors. Just my two cents. What do y'all think?

Comment

I doubt that Smits will be coming here. We were due to have 16 forwards this year, so I expect that we'll have that many next year.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X